Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Spirituality and LapBand ?

So this is a bit different, but I was hoping you all might help me out with a school project. I am a grad student in my last semester for social work. We are looking into ways that people can initiate change in their lives just by spending a little time every day doing something that addresses a problem area. My problem area is my band. I originally lost 80lbs and gained back 50lbs while in school. What I am doing to initiate change is searching for new knowledge over the next couple days about the relationship between the band and spirituality (any form of spirituality). How does it affect you? How does it help you? What is the role of spirituality in this weight loss journey?

Hmmmmmmm. Good question. Im not religeous in the typical sense, I dont go to church or read the bible, but I have great faith in God and talk with him often. I couldnt get my body to respond to a popular weight loss program , so I got banded and have done well the last 2 years. I believe that God has great plans for me, I often ask him what he wants me to do, and I could'nt live a happy life while being overweight. I think I can do more for myself and the world if im healthy and strong, in mind, body and soul. I dont know if this is the answer you're looking for, but it is what it is. Best of luck to you !!

I'm not gonna say I'm very religious but I am nonetheless. I'm actually going to church later this evening and again tomorrow lol. Anyway, my religion/spirituality has nothing to do with my weight loss. I took this journey for my physical health not spiritual. There is a big difference. Hope you find the answer you're looking for.

I am religion by saying this I mean i try to live my life to be pleasing to God by praying daily studying the word and loving my brothers and sisters etc..... I also believe my body is my temple the one and only body that God has blessed me with so it's my duty to keep it strong pure/ healthy in the natural as well on the spiritual side. This is why I choose not to smoke drink and to eat the best way I can and to exercise now I did not always treat my body the best thats why I ended up with the lapband but with everything you do in this life it's a process of changing your life in which starts with changing your thought process

I love that you brought this topic up. I am a very spiritual person. I am a Christian. I have a deep faith in God. I prayed a lot leading up to getting my band. I pray often for the strength to overcome what makes me hungry......mostly head hunger. I pray for focus. I pray to not feel hungry. I give praise for walking away from foods I normally would have over done on. I praise God for helping me be satisfied on what I have eaten and I praise God for giving me the desire for the healthier and wiser food choices.

I am at the beginning stage of having my band. I am thankful to God that I had an amazing surgeon and my recovery was tolerable. I feel at this time of my journey and only having 2cc's in my band I have not found my green zone and I need the extra support I get from my connection with God.

Best of luck on your study!!

I love that you brought this topic up. I am a very spiritual person. I am a Christian. I have a deep faith in God. I prayed a lot leading up to getting my band. I pray often for the strength to overcome what makes me hungry......mostly head hunger. I pray for focus. I pray to not feel hungry. I give praise for walking away from foods I normally would have over done on. I praise God for helping me be satisfied on what I have eaten and I praise God for giving me the desire for the healthier and wiser food choices.

I am at the beginning stage of having my band. I am thankful to God that I had an amazing surgeon and my recovery was tolerable. I feel at this time of my journey and only having 2cc's in my band I have not found my green zone and I need the extra support I get from my connection with God.

Best of luck on your study!!

Ok I can honestly say, some of these things I prayed about as well like surgery without complications and that I can be amongst the few that is able to keep my band til death do us part with no complications. So I guess my spirituality does have a little impact. :)

I am religious by saying this I mean i am a Christian i try to live my life to be pleasing to God by praying daily studying the word and loving my brothers and sisters etc..... I also believe my body is my temple the one and only body that God has blessed me with so it's my duty to keep it strong pure/ healthy in the natural as well on the spiritual side. This is why I choose not to smoke drink and to eat the best way I can and to exercise now I did not always treat my body the best thats why I ended up with the lapband but with everything you do in this life it's a process of changing your life in which starts with changing your thought process