Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am in the process of going thru all the doctors for clearance for this surgery. I am at the end of my testing and expect to be approved and have the surgery in June. I will be 68 years old and I suffer from reflux, high blood pressure, sleep apnea. I still wonder everyday if I should be doing this at my age, but I know I cannot do it on my own. I expect most of my health issues will be eliminated by going this route. I want to be around as long as I can for my family. I have about 90=100ibs to loose. I second guess myself everyday but I just look at the pros and cons of having the surgery. Do you go through this also? Any input from other older folks would be appreciated. I am a candidate for the Rouen y surgery at present. The sleeve was not recommended due to my reflux issues.

Edited by ambpete

Welcome Ambpete , you are not alone, we are all apprehensive and second guess ourselves before surgery. Go back to the first page of anyone over 65,ad you'll meet wonderful people full of support. Read the last post from Sally, it will help . We are here for each other and 68 is the new 48. I'm 67 due for surgery in early summer and I look at it as just a number thanks to all the support. Stay safe, be happy, live life.

I am in the process of going thru all the doctors for clearance for this surgery. I am at the end of my testing and expect to be approved and have the surgery in June. I will be 68 years old and I suffer from reflux, high blood pressure, sleep apnea. I still wonder everyday if I should be doing this at my age, but I know I cannot do it on my own. I expect most of my health issues will be eliminated by going this route. I want to be around as long as I can for my family. I have about 90=100ibs to loose. I second guess myself everyday but I just look at the pros and cons of having the surgery. Do you go through this also? Any input from other older folks would be appreciated. I am a candidate for the Rouen y surgery at present. The sleeve was not recommended due to my reflux issues.

Welcome ambpete!I understand your concern about having surgery at your age. I had the same fears, but I so wanted to be healthy that I didn't look back. I, like Dyan, only regret that I didn't do this years ago! I had my surgery in October and I will be 68 this Wednesday. I have never felt better, had no problems with the surgery, very little pain. I will be praying that you do good as well.

Back from first post-op visit had surgery 2-4 and all is well. All my concerns like sore throat, normal, left side pain normal, tired and weak, normal. He wants me to have more Protein and food so off liquid diet on to mushy pureed meat and cheese. Had refried Beans and cheese (1Tablespoon) for lunch, so good!!!!

That first week is hard, the pain some times is very intense and sharp, you can't get comfortable, you depend on everyone else and you wonder if this is worth it, yep, before u know you will be up and about. Today I saw the MD, went out to eat, went to wildbird store to buy feed for my outdoor friends and went to the grocery, maybe that was pushing it, but had a great day!!!!

Patience my friends, baby steps and you will make.

This is for all of those headed for surgery next week. Yes, it is hard and I won't lie. You should have a pain pump - USE IT, you will have no appetite but you need to get the tea and broth down. See if they have chamomile tea. Get out of bed, the more u walk, the better the gas will feel. Once you get home you will find it hard to get comfortable in bed if you are not a back sleeper. It's hard to turn over, I don't get to sleep till 2 or 3am. Yesterday I was able to drive to the movies and shop for food, was very tired after but was great to get out. Everyday it gets better, my weight is dropping daily so far, I am not hungry, I am so happy I did this, I know I have a long way to go but I will succeed and so will all of you.

This is for all of those headed for surgery next week. Yes, it is hard and I won't lie. You should have a pain pump - USE IT, you will have no appetite but you need to get the tea and broth down. See if they have chamomile tea. Get out of bed, the more u walk, the better the gas will feel. Once you get home you will find it hard to get comfortable in bed if you are not a back sleeper. It's hard to turn over, I don't get to sleep till 2 or 3am. Yesterday I was able to drive to the movies and shop for food, was very tired after but was great to get out. Everyday it gets better, my weight is dropping daily so far, I am not hungry, I am so happy I did this, I know I have a long way to go but I will succeed and so will all of you.

Sally, you are an inspiration for me. I still hope to have surgery sometime inMarch and am following your progress closely. Hope my recovery goes as well as yours. We "young" folks have to stick together. :-)

pquinn181, glad to hear your plans are on line. It seemed to take forever to get to the surgery date. Every step took forever. Now that the surgery is over and I'm doing good it seems that it went really fast! I know we heal slower and bounce back slower as we age but I think it also has a great deal to do with attitude. Positive thinking for me goes a long way. Depression and anxiety during the process and healing is normal so hang in there and keep posting.

I mean Dyan, not Cyan, fat finger LOL

I was wondering the same thing. Can't figure out how to friend someone on here.

pquinn181, glad to hear your plans are on line. It seemed to take forever to get to the surgery date. Every step took forever. Now that the surgery is over and I'm doing good it seems that it went really fast! I know we heal slower and bounce back slower as we age but I think it also has a great deal to do with attitude. Positive thinking for me goes a long way. Depression and anxiety during the process and healing is normal so hang in there and keep posting.

Sally, so glad to hear that you are doing well!

Hi All, just wondering if anyone knows why it takes so long to get approved for surgery? Why do we have to jump through so many hoops at our age.? Sally ,I'm so glad that you keep it honest on your recovery ,it gives the rest of us a clear picture on what to expect. Thank you . Stay safe, be happy, love life

Hello guys, Rinny11, I think a lot of what we have to do is required by the insurance companies. My surgeon said the medical and history forms he fills out are actually required by the ins. I think it also shows who is really committed to the whole process. Those who feel the pre-op requirements are to hard will not do well after the surgery.

Now it's been 12 days since my surgery and have had a few episodes of nausea related to eating to much and once after yogurt. Well, last night I had sugar-free vanilla pudding and about 2 hours later a chewable Multivitamin (first time for both). All of a sudden I started gagging and tried to throw up, nothing there but once I it was over I felt great. Weird!!! I will put both of those on my No No list for now. Maybe I was pushing a little but I will stay with my soft mushy Protein and try to be a good girl. (lost 11 pounds since surgery WOW)

Sally, have you tried liquid vitamins? They might go down better. Thanks for the info.

Rinny. I am using Bariatric Advantage crystals citrus splash and really like it but I have to have it morning and night. It goes in 8oz of Water and sipping it takes a while and I still need to get my 2 shakes in and 3 meals and find I get to full. So I thought the chewable would be fasted, it ha no sugar and should not have caused a problem?! Ha Ha