Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

These shoes are amazing! (For me)

I started "running" in July of 2013, after cycling almost exclusively for my exercise. I read and read from folks on this site and others " go to a running store and get the proper shoes", have an expert evaluate your stride/heel strike, etc and "get the proper shoes" for you! So what did I do, just the opposite.....went to a big name shoe store, and listened to the first salesperson who came by that said "oh, these are really popular shoes, lots of folks buy these to run in". They looked ok, felt ok in the store, the name on the side was very popular, and the reviews were good.....

For the first couple hundred miles, all was well. I then began to have knee pain that would NOT go away. It was on the outside of the knee, right knee to be specific. After some reading, I knew what I had was I.T. band pain. Found some stretching exercises that helped somewhat....AND finally went to a running store. Talked with a true expert in running. Multi-marathon runner OWNS the store. Told her my symptoms and she put me on the treadmill, evaluated my "stride", even video taped it. Then we talked and she suggested a different shoe. She warned me to break them ( or really my calf muscles ) slowly. This time I listened. I haven't had even the slightest bit of knee pain since. YMMV, but I think I've found the shoes for me. Newton Sir Isaac's http://www.zappos.com/newton-running-isaac-red-black?ef_id=UtbI6AAAAMkSao5Y:20140115174408:s

Edited by catfish87

cool!!!!!

I have a similar story....bought the most expensive shoes...if they cost more they must be the best....

After running everyday, I started to develop a pain in my left hip....the more I ran the worse it got....eventually after 15 minutes I had to stop. I figured it was my old age catching up to me with arthritis, bursitis, etc....

I was also getting chronic "Black Toe"..... Where because of improper fitting shoes, the toe nail turns black and eventually falls off....you would think that happens because the shoes are too small....quite the opposite...improper shoes allows the toe(s) to roll under the foot...you can't tell it happening, but it does....bad socks do the same thing....

In High School when I ran track, we wore no socks....and the shoes were as tight as a second layer of skin...

It was my Dentist...who is the president of a local runners club, who was talking me into participating in a local 10k....when I told him I could not, and why....I got an education....

No more hip pains or foot problems....occasional black toe though, but not as much.

The other thing I learned is to tell whir pen running shoes need to be replaced....as a kid you wore them until they were completely worn out....now you have to keep track ad to how many miles you put on them....then replace them even though they look like new....hard lesson to accept.

Nice sneakers, Catfish, and we'll see you coming!

Don't be tempted to buy a second pair and put them on the shelf for later as apparently the plastics break down and foam hardens whether or not we're on them. Weird, huh? That's one of the reasons shoes from a running store, etc. are superior -- the discount houses have the older stock and the foam hardens up over time.

I don't run but even for walking, etc., good shoes are where it's at. I have orthotics that I got through a podiatrist, expensive prescription, etc., and then I have Sole inserts for other shoes. http://www.yoursole.com/us/mens/footbeds -- I have to say, these are just as good if not better than the custom orthotics. I've tried other brands (SuperFeet, and Orthoheel) but these Soles are really something. I got them at our local high-end running shoe store.

IT Band, I hear you. That can cause a world of problems so great to keep on those exercises, use rollers, hot tub jets -- whatever it takes to keep that area from seizing.

Have fun on your new shoes! I'm going for a walk at the lake this afternoon -- on top of my workout this morning. This is really my goal, to try to get in a secondary form of exercise each day and not just think to myself I have done it already.

Getting a good evaluation and fit is the biggest key. 2 marathons, 8 half marathons and 2 half Iron mans later, no problems. It's the single thing I recommend. Sounds like good advice here.

I think the evaluation by shoe store experts is a mixed bag. If you are a heel striker then yes it can absolutely benefit you. If you're a forefoot or midfoot striker then stability and motion control shoes cannot help you. I prefer minimalist shoes myself....mainly vibrams....but I know some people prefer a little more cushioning. The great thing about the vibrams is they force you to run light on your feet....saving your body a lot of impact. But of course everyone's style is different so everyone's needs are different. I've run 5 half marathons and I'll be running my first 50k in April. I truly believe that the shoes do not make or break a runner but finding the right shoe to compliment your form does help. But I still say that shoes are 10% of the equation. Good running form is the other 90%.

I think the evaluation by shoe store experts is a mixed bag. If you are a heel striker then yes it can absolutely benefit you. If you're a forefoot or midfoot striker then stability and motion control shoes cannot help you. I prefer minimalist shoes myself....mainly vibrams....but I know some people prefer a little more cushioning. The great thing about the vibrams is they force you to run light on your feet....saving your body a lot of impact. But of course everyone's style is different so everyone's needs are different. I've run 5 half marathons and I'll be running my first 50k in April. I truly believe that the shoes do not make or break a runner but finding the right shoe to compliment your form does help. But I still say that shoes are 10% of the equation. Good running form is the other 90%.

Running is a key but the evaluation found I have 3/8 inch difference in leg lengths(not uncommon) and needed an insert to get better form. I'll agree with all comments, it's not one thing but many factors.