Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

CHECKING IN! Wow... love the new look and website. :)

Hi Everyone,

I have been absent for awhile and just thought I'd do a check in. I love the new look! Super fast loading and easy to navigate.

I've been out due to injury / illness. I was in a very bad place for awhile and even was a little depressed. I've gained some weight (about 35 Lbs!) and I've lost all my great muscle tone from all my hard work! But enough for feeling sorry for myself, I couldn't do anything to prevent it because I wasn't aware these problems could be a possibility, and some things I already had issues before WLS. The only thing I can or could do is FIX IT!!! Sitting on my bum feeling defeated has never been me nor in my DNA. I had knee surgery and I went through a serious time where I couldn't even get out of bed due to severe lethargy. I had a lot of different issues happening at the same time so here they are:

-Extremely low Iron

-Arthritis in both knees / with trauma and tears to my ligaments (too many to go through)

-Heart palpitations

-Restless leg syndrome

-Depression

-Sinus infection and bronchitis

-etc.

-etc.

Okay so many of the things going on were actually all symptomatic due to my extreme low Iron. I didn't know this BUT PLEASE NOTE having a sleeve can prevent us from absorbing all the iron our bodies need to survive and or function properly without supplements. Especially if you are a woman. I am about 3.5 years post op so this might not be something that others will encounter for years to come. It just hit me last year and I didn't figure it all out until I kept going to my PCP's office complaining of one thing or another.

All in all I will survive, but I'm still working toward getting back to 100%. I cannot workout like I once was right now, I have to slowly work my way back up there. I did get a silver lining last night at my PT appointment though. My therapist was very impressed and told me I've finally gotten myself back into the "functional" range! SWEET!! This is not an excuse to abuse myself though and workout too hard... lol. :) I have to be patient and just keep doing all the right things.

My heart is fine too. I simply have an irregular heartbeat. Apparently the low iron was not helping the situation, though my cardiologist is keeping an eye out and fixing me up for re-checks every six months.

As far as my asthma, well I just keep going round about with prednisone and antibiotics. I'm trying though!

That said I have a new pair of maltese darlings and they've really saved me! They make me laugh and smile when I feel like I'm having a down moment.

These photos were of me just before I got ill. I will FIGHT to get back here if it's the last thing I do. ;-) Needless to say you will be hard pressed to find any photos of me right now! LOL my family has to beg me!! Haha!!

So, how's everyone else doing?

post-151241-0-21836200-1389725722_thumb.jpg

post-151241-0-50336800-1389734915_thumb.jpg

post-151241-0-18833700-1389734947_thumb.jpg

Edited by LilMissDiva

Hi LilMissDiva,

Sorry to hear you are in the wars.

I am nearly 5 years out and last year I began to put on weight because I took my eye of the ball and developed a taste for the booze. Now getting things under control, I wasn't putting gin on my cornflakes or anything, my husband and I just fell into the routine of drinking wine every evening. Apart from this glitch all is OK and I have 18lbs to lose to get back to where I was and regain my small jeans :-(

All in all the operation is still a great success for me and I have stopped my supplements. After your post I will revisit this decision. All the best and hope you feel better soon.

Jane

woah - my two fav vets - LilMissDiva and Jane in the same thread...yeye!

Great to see you both and to hear your updates.

Sorry about your health issues LMD, glad that you've come back to let us know how you are... I've often thought about you! Those dogs are sooo cute!!

As you can see I'm STILL not at my surgeon's goal., but soooo very close! I've started the 5:2 woe and it is working for me - after a very long stall of nearly two years - it got the scale moving again, and although my weight loss is still slow, I am slowly getting there!!

Good luck to both of you getting that regain off - you know where we are xx

Jane whoa its so nice to hear from you! :) Hey I take a lil sip of wine here and there too. I get tipsy super fast though so probably about 4 oz max at the time and comes out to maybe every other weekend as a relaxer.

I have complete faith in both of us that we will get back in shape. And absolutely I do NOT regret my surgery at all. I thank GOD I had it done every time I eat. I find myself gaining if I consume more than 800-1000 calories in one day right now due to my not being able to really do much of anything physically. Walking and recumbent bike, and some flexing / stretches are pretty much it for me right now per my knee surgeon and physical therapists.

Coops!!! Hun I have missed you too! Oh my you're doing fabulous. Many hugs from accross the pond. :) And as far as you not being at your surgeons goal, well hunny I have to make my way back to mine. Haha! ;-)

LMD - there have been a few of us vets that have had the regain, some left, some have got rid of it and some are still fighting the good fight... I often think that NOT reaching goal has meant that I didn't regain!? Sounds strange but I honestly think it is true!!

And I am still fighting the good fight... I will get there, even if it takes me another 3 1/2 years - my sleeve is FOR LIFE right?

My hubby has chronic arthritis in both his knees and has had major surgery to both, recovered well and got strong and fit again (he has to have another one soon) so the good news is that, it is possible to get back to where you want to be.

Darling Coops, thank you for that! I love hearing about others who have gotten better after knee surgery. I too will have to have the other one done too. *sigh* but at least I know in a few years I will be all done and back on the mend. Tell your DH thank you too!! Haha! :)

So good to "see" you again, LMD!!! I've kinda had a little contact through FB but have missed your being around on VST/BariatricPal! Sorry to hear about your "ills" but THIS TOO SHALL PASS! Anybody as strong as you are will be back up and going very soon!!!

Take Care!!!!

Li'l Miss!! So good to hear from you. I'm sorry to hear of the hard times you've been going through, I hope you will be feeling good again soon! I'm only three years out now, but my Iron is still good--last time I had blood work done, it was a bit high even, but I will keep my eye on it, as I was already anemic when I was younger.

Jane, too!! Wow, so nice to see your post! I'm currently in the too-much-wine-drinking situation myself, and have just been eating poorly since about three months now -- since our house was burgled and then flooded and we've moved into temp accommodation and etc etc etc. So I know the wine is causing my stomach to be bigger and flabbier, but I've gotten by so far with only about 5 lb regain from my lowest. I'm on a schmooze-fest/eating/drinking work trip and that ain't helping. Oy. But I'm going to hit the 5:2 and paleo hard again when I get back home and kick the wine habit too. Lordy.

Anyhow. I guess there are always challenges to tackle, so here we are... <3

Hi Georgia! :) Thanks and thank you for your continued support.

Swizzle! Long time no see. I'm so glad to hear your doing great. I've always admired your consistency. Cheers! :)

Wow! Long time no type! Good to hear from you LMD. Yes, the site has changed and there are many new, great members, but I am happy (sad) to say the same issues people experienced back in the day are still prevalent today. I hope you will be able to hang around and continue to be a part of the community.

I'm sorry to hear of your struggles. I, too, have been bitten by the surgery bug having gone through two back surgeries (L4/L5) in just over a year. I am still recovering and have had to adjust my intake as I am no longer active as I once was.

Good to see you!

PDX I'm so sorry to hear about your struggles as well. It truly is an adjustment trying to stay within the limits. It has also been a hit on the psyche because working out always made me feel so alive, and so good. All the very best to you and yes I'm going to make it a point to log in daily. I've always felt this place helped me a great deal to keeping me accountable.

Oh Diva! Its like old home week here today! I too had a regain (22pounds) before reaching goal, and part of this was bone spurs.... on the knee of course! I was off the gym and dance classes for 4 months... part of my regain was this Im sure... then went to sports medecin and rehab and Im much better now, dancing again twice a week and walking a bunch. You ever want to go for a walk in Sac, Im around! This is a big boat, and room for us all here, jump on in. Oh by the way, I got the 22 off and finally got to goal, at almost 3 years out, so there is light at the end of the tunnel! And those doggies, they are just as cute as can be, and Im sure they have been great therapy pals for you while you have been down. See you round, Kim (aka feedyoureye aka sukielovesveggies)

Diva! An official update, how nice! :)

Thank you for the note about Iron. I've had some problems with B12 and Iron that have actually interfered with the doctors diagnosing a problem I'm having with my nerves. Because so many of the symptoms overlap and can be caused by deficiencies, it's made coming up with a diagnosis difficult. I started to have real iron and B12 problems (and let's not forget calcium!) around 2 years out and despite being on supplements since then, I have problems keeping those numbers up.

Reminders can't hurt, and too many people don't do follow up labs or have a surgeon that tells them what supplements they might need for the long haul.

Regain is a real part of this. Negotiating maintenance is hard enough but when we get tripped up with illness, injuries or, in my case, nearly-impossible-to-shed pregnancy weight, it's enough to make you want to quit.

Especially because (I don't know how anyone else here feels) after a few years of being diligent, always weighing, watching my choices, saying no to the "bad" foods, etc. I get bored and resentful! It's easy to get burned out, I think. Because deep down I'm still fighting that idea that there's an end to this and that I get to live like a person that's never been obese at some point. Sadly, that doesn't happen and I have to keep tracking my food and not allow myself to eat around my sleeve.

Nobody told me this was going to be so much work! :) Regain pounds are doubly hard and I'm struggling to lose those last baby pounds (plus a few extras put on while I've been sick, I won't lie) but it's so reassuring to see that this is not a new hurdle or a personal problem - this is something a lot of people that I look up to on the forums deal with, too.

Thank you so much for stopping in to say hello. I've been taking a break from the boards lately but your post and all of the really great replies has me thinking that the best place I could be while I'm struggling is with other people that understand what it's like.

~Cheri

Edited by clk

Feedyoureyesukiekim, LOL :) It's so nice to hear from you! Wow, it seems this whole regain thing is not so uncommon. Especially for those of us who end up with physical limitations. I will take you up on the walking invite! However I'd have to wait until I can even walk a worthy distance and that I'm fully cleared from my orthopedic surgeon. Hang in there, and let's see more of each other round here.

Cheri - oh baby baby!! Congrats on your lil one! Yayyy!!! :D Though I don't have any bambinos of my own I can see the struggle. I know many women who do have lil ones and they all mention struggling with the post baby lbs. Keep your chin up! You're already doing great. Yes, coming here gives me that extra "something" I need to keep me in line. I don't know what it is, but I suppose it might be the fact if I can dish the advice I have to be better able to take it too.

I think it would be irresponsible of me not to come here and share my story at going on 4 years post op. We will all get to this point some day and if I can help prevent one person from falling into the ditch I did, I'm happy to share.

Take care and I hope to see ya around!

Its so nice to hear from you all again. It's sad though to hear about so many health issues. I have resurrected my supplement regime as of today just in case. I think I was left with a slightly larger stomach than the size the US and Mexican surgeons do, as I can eat a 6 oz filet steak and some veg in one go these days. So hopefully I only have to watch out for the B12 trap.

Psychologically I think I believed that if I lost all the weight my life would suddenly become perfect and all my problems would disappear. What actually happened is that i lost the weight, became incredibly vain and introspective, had to confront that I'm in my mid 50s and that boat has sailed, and now i'm trying to find the real me. You would think by now I would have more self awareness and be able to see these things.

The thing the sleeve does not help you govern is booze. I can drink quantities of it, no problem (apart from falling on my face of course), and Tony and i have had some massive sessions. I cannot join him in eating any more but iI can drink with him. Why God blessed (!) me with an addictive non moderate personality I don't know, is there an up side to it. To be able to be moderate in all things is an unobtainable dream to me.

I post this hoping it might help others who are in a similar boat. I wish all my fellow sleevers (and any other types of surgery) well and especially those with health issues. Hang on in there and hopefully 2014 will be the year it all comes together.

Jane