Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Only lost 5 pounds--feel like a failure! :(

Well, this is the 8th day of my preop diet and so far I've only lost 5 pounds. My surgeon wants me to lose at least 10 pounds before surgery. I'm stressing out because I see her on Thursday morning and I doubt that I will lose another 5 pounds by then.

This is shaking my confidence to the point where I'm worried that I'll fail at surgery. I'm not hungry and have only been drinking 3 out of the 5 Protein shakes I'm allowed per day plus a fair amount of green veggies which have practically no calories or carbs. I'd be surprised if I get anywhere close to 700 calories a day. If I'm not losing on the preop diet on so few calories, how am I supposed to lose any weight after surgery?

I'm really concerned. Could I already be in some kind of a stall?

Help! :(

You will get lots of advice and support, I know! At first blush, it sounds to me like you need to drink another shake a day and then FLOOD yourself with Water. Supposedly the body gets stubborn and holds on to weight if you starve it AND burned fat supposedly needs a lot of Water to get carried out of your system. GOOD LUCK!!! I seriously bet your body is about to release some weight :).

Edited to say: You may want to pick up some Keto-stix (ketosis test strips) at Walmart or wherever (diabetic section) so you can make sure you are in/ stay in ketosis since I know that's what really gets the glycogen stores out of your liver.

Edited by rhw94123

Friend, please relax. Do not worry. Just do your best. Try to focus on the process, and ignore the weight loss. It will take care of itself.

Now PART of the "process" is following your plan. Drink ALL of your shakes! If your body thinks that you are starving, it'll slow weight loss... strange no.

WE ARE WITH YOU, and it'll be ok!!!

As always, Arts137 is spot on!

You can only control what you put in your mouth - your body is going to do what it wants. If you're following the plan as your doctor directed, that's what you're responsible for. Please don't let this derail you - there are so many things happening to your body since you started the pre-op. I didn't lose much until the final 4-5 days of my two week pre-op.

It is what it is - don't stress.

I did my pre op diet for 16 whole days and guess how much I lost?! The diet was 5 Protein shakes per day.

7 lousy pounds!! I felt so defeated because I was so proud that I didnt once cheat or sneak a bit of anything.

Luckily my program didnt require the loss. My body pre sleeve just wouldn't let the weight go.

Water. Water. Water. Drink it all day, every day. It made a big diff in my preop stage I believe and its making a big diff now.

Edited by Jerzygurl

The preop diet is there for 2 main reasons:

1. To "shrink" your liver (use up extra stored glycogen), making it more maleable for the surgeon to lift out of the way (the stomach is behind the liver), without injuring the liver.

2. To teach you the good habits/routine you will have no choice but to follow post-op. After surgery you will be surviving on liquids for the first 2 weeks +. Getting those habits ingrained now, without the fear of death/injury on your mind if you "slip-up" is a great opportunity to work out your demons.

It's not about how much weight you lose. It's about learning to stick to a regimen, putting your health and welfare above all else (damn those cravings....you deserve better!)

You've already got some great advice in replies to your post.....drink more Water, eat all the calories you're supposed to! Follow your doctor's plan.

This post from last May may be helpful:

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/249104-the-pre-op-diet-is-not-a-punishment-its-an-opportunity/

Hang in there! You can do this. I know you can....

Edited by Webchickadee

I only lost 12 lbs in the 5 weeks I was on my pre-op diet. Mind you, only 1 week of that time was shakes only, but still... And I agree with all of the above replies.

​Please do not consider yourself a failure. I was on a 6 month nutritional plan. For the first 3 months I did 1 shake a day...I lost nothing! The whole time I was thinking, shoot 6 months...I can loose 10 pounds with one shake a day. It wasn't until I increased to 2 shakes a day (the last 3 months). Granted I had 3 months to do it, but I lost 15lbs and maintained it.

I agree with the above posts. Increase your shakes to 2 a day with a full meal (and a snack in between). Drink ALOT of Water and you'll be ok. And walk, walk, walk. Please don't starve yourself. The pounds won't come off, your body will just store the fat.

Don't stress, it will happen.

Edited by FitnFabfor2014

I had a 14 day liquid diet and lost only 8 lbs, which I promptly gained back in the hospital. Today is my 4th week and I am down 20 lbs*, so don't worry.

*8 of the 20 being what I gained in the hospital. grrr...

I had a 14 day liquid diet and lost only 8 lbs, which I promptly gained back in the hospital. Today is my 4th week and I am down 20 lbs*, so don't worry.

*8 of the 20 being what I gained in the hospital. grrr...

Yes, gaining weight after the surgery is very frustrating......and totally normal.

You've been pumped full of fluids! You should weight more....believe me, it's not fat and it will come off relatively quickly (within the first 2 weeks), and then you'll be smoothly sailing along (until you hit the dreaded 3rd week stall, which is also completely normal).

Don't be surprised if you come home significantly heavier from the hospital. It's okay and to be expected!

Lose the word "only" when going through this journey. Appreciate every step in the right direction. This is just the beginning! Give it a chance. ^_^

Well, this is the 8th day of my preop diet and so far I've only lost 5 pounds. My surgeon wants me to lose at least 10 pounds before surgery. I'm stressing out because I see her on Thursday morning and I doubt that I will lose another 5 pounds by then.

This is shaking my confidence to the point where I'm worried that I'll fail at surgery. I'm not hungry and have only been drinking 3 out of the 5 Protein shakes I'm allowed per day plus a fair amount of green veggies which have practically no calories or carbs. I'd be surprised if I get anywhere close to 700 calories a day. If I'm not losing on the preop diet on so few calories, how am I supposed to lose any weight after surgery?

I'm really concerned. Could I already be in some kind of a stall?

Help! :(

I agree..not using the word only lost............take 5 lbs of butter out of your frig if you have them and place them on the table in front of you...Now pick them up...I lb is a lot..5 is incredible......

Won't be long and there will be 20 lbs of butter on your table....It can really bring the amount to home when you look at a lb of butter and hold it......

Edited by RJ'S/beginning

I agree..not using the word only lost............take 5 lbs of butter out of your frig if you have them and place them on the table in front of you...Now pick them up...I lb is a lot..5 is incredible...... Won't be long and there will be 20 lbs of butter on your table....It can really bring the amount to home when you look at a lb of butter and hold it......

I did the same thing with a bag of potatoes!! I've lost 11 pounds pre-surgery and was disappointed in myself until I did that.