Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Age 61 looking forward to the end of a long time struggle.

Hi Kathie, I am another Cathy. I was 63 when I had my sleeve last year. It is the best thing I have every done for myself. Good luck to you on this jouney.

Ms. Kathie, I am so glad you found a way to have the sleeve without the insurance's help. I will looking at a alternate route if I am denied myself. I will be praying that your surgery goes great. Contact me any time. We live too close not to be weight loss buddies and support each other in this journey. Best Wishes!!!

I am scheduled for my sleeve surgery on February 4th 2014 at 7 am. I am not nervous yet but looking forward to being a normal weight and not hiding away in my home.

Kathie ..... You are definitely on the fast track to surgery. I am envious. Since I don't have the money, I've been dancing with Medicare for five months but I finally got a surgery date; Feb 13th. A large part of your story mirrors mine as well I'm sure, a large number of others on this forum. I almost feel that a lot of the so-called "diets" that suck us in are in cohoots with the "fat-foods" industry! Much like the weathermen down south must be with the milk and bread industry when it snows! LOL

At 72, I assume I'm one of the oldest, if not the oldest on this forum to have bariatic surgery. With age, the possibility of complications increase . I've kicked all of those thoughts aside and instead, I am looking forward finally to a new life from now until the Lord calls me home!

So, at 61 you are still a young chic and will do great. Proud of you for doing this and, good luck. Keep us all posted.

Hevnbound, good luck to you. My husband had terrible health problems prior to the sleeve 2 months ago, and he is doing really well. It was sobering looking at him having the sleeve and even going under anesthesia. He did well, and down from 320 to 278 I believe. While he is still on insulin he is off 1 BP med, and we know we did the right thing in both of us having the surgery. Probably like you, we did not want to sit in a chair and wait to die because of weight issues. Life is so sweeter, we feel much better, we have experienced eating to live, not living to eat. Yay! God Bless, I will follow your progress.

Kathie ..... You are definitely on the fast track to surgery. I am envious. Since I don't have the money, I've been dancing with Medicare for five months but I finally got a surgery date; Feb 13th. A large part of your story mirrors mine as well I'm sure, a large number of others on this forum. I almost feel that a lot of the so-called "diets" that suck us in are in cohoots with the "fat-foods" industry! Much like the weathermen down south must be with the milk and bread industry when it snows! LOL<br><br> At 72, I assume I'm one of the oldest, if not the oldest on this forum to have bariatic surgery. With age, the possibility of complications increase . I've kicked all of those thoughts aside and instead, I am looking forward finally to a new life from now until the Lord calls me home!<br><br> So, at 61 you are still a young chic and will do great. Proud of you for doing this and, good luck. Keep us all posted.

Good luck to you on your surgery date. At 72 you look great! The weight loss will make you feel like a spring chicken. lol

take care!

Good luck to you on your surgery date. At 72 you look great! The weight loss will make you feel like a spring chicken. lol take care!

Thanks Kathie.....

Hevnbound, good luck to you. My husband had terrible health problems prior to the sleeve 2 months ago, and he is doing really well. It was sobering looking at him having the sleeve and even going under anesthesia. He did well, and down from 320 to 278 I believe. While he is still on insulin he is off 1 BP med, and we know we did the right thing in both of us having the surgery. Probably like you, we did not want to sit in a chair and wait to die because of weight issues. Life is so sweeter, we feel much better, we have experienced eating to live, not living to eat. Yay! God Bless, I will follow your progress.

Good to hear from you again Linda. You are so right about sitting around doing nothing, I want to enjoy fully the time remaining. After all, I still have that bucket list waiting for me?

Monday February 3rd. liquid diet today. Two cocktails (mag citrate) starting at 4 pm. Surgery Tomorrow at 7 am. Not nervous yet. Still feeling very positive but I do have a headache lol

Monday February 3rd. liquid diet today. Two cocktails (mag citrate) starting at 4 pm. Surgery Tomorrow at 7 am. Not nervous yet. Still feeling very positive but I do have a headache lol

I hated the week of headaches prior to surgery but found I was dehydrated. I think the pre op diet does this to most everyone since there are lots of mentions. Best wishes! Cheers!

I am now 3 days post op. I can't seem to get much down without discomfort. I get hungry too. I try to drink my Protein Shake but unable to get as much down as needed. My upper abdominal still hurts but with each day I am hoping to find relief. Just trying to stay hydrated. When I swallow there is a painful a gurgling sound. Coughing is painful. Introducing my supplements a little at a time. That is al for now.

You are Right On Track.

Each day you will improve. Rest, walk, sip, and repeat!!!

The discomfort will lessen. You WILL be able to take in more liquids. I was tired for weeks and I loved me some naps during the first month!!!

I am now 3 days post op. I can't seem to get much down without discomfort. I get hungry too. I try to drink my Protein shake but unable to get as much down as needed. My upper abdominal still hurts but with each day I am hoping to find relief. Just trying to stay hydrated. When I swallow there is a painful a gurgling sound. Coughing is painful. Introducing my supplements a little at a time. That is al for now.

Thank you. I am now 5 days post op and took a short walk outside today. Just trying to always keep in mind to take small sips . I sure know it when I don't. Getting all my supplements in and the pain is all gone except acid reflux when I don't eat slow. Looking forward to the thicker liquids next week.....I am hungry all the time. Will weigh myself in a few days.

One week post op. Feeling better every day. Weight loss is 3 lbs since surgery. total weight loss including the liquid diet prior to surgery. 13 lbs. I begin my thickened Soups and puréed cooked veggiess and continue with Protein Drinks this week. Still have to constantly remember to sip and only small bites. I sure feel it if I forget. Doing better every say. Acid reflux is still a problem but I take Prilosec as directed and have it pretty much in control.