Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Age 61 looking forward to the end of a long time struggle.

My name is Kathy and I live in Louisiana . I am 61 years old I will be 62 in April. I have been battling eating problem since I got married at age 19. My main problem is that I over eat when I am sad or something bad happens that is difficult to handle and people call that emotional eating but I Call it bingeing. I have two sisters one has passed away but all of us were overweight in our adult years. my father was probably in the 300 lb range. I have chosen not to go to Mexico because I'm not comfortable with going there but that being said I know many people who have gone there have been successful with no problems or regrets. it is just my personal decision that I am making to stay here in Louisiana. I am 5'4" and I weigh over 200 pounds. I have tried and failed to lose weight more times than I can count. And each time I get bigger and bigger. This is not a decision that I came to overnight.I have researched it for the past 6 years. the past two years has been extremely difficult. I have tried walking 2 miles every day trying to diet and consistently failing. I am basically healthy at this point. I do have restless leg syndrome and I also have acid reflux which I believe is attributed to the weight gain. I also have depression which is associated with many things but certainly the weight problem contributes to my self-esteem. I also feel that as I age other things can happen such as high blood pressure and diabetes so I really don't want to go there. I have my lab work done and I have a consultation on January 20, 2014. I am in hopes that I will have my surgery on February 5th 2014. I am confident that this is the right thing for me and I'm looking forward to it as I see it as the end of a long time struggle. I have heard that people will lose their hair after the surgery and for this I have checked into supplements and other things that you can do to prevent or to make it so that you don't loose so much or any at all. Also getting the proper nutrition, Protein and Iron as well as other things is vital not Only because it would help to not lose your hair but it'll help you to be healthier and heal faster. I will update as I go forward.

Hey Kathy,

As you continue your journey please DO keep us all posted! A LOT of good information and exchanges here...

I am of the school that the Sleeve is a great tool. That said, after your Sleeve you still will need to work on behaviors to remain in healthy control! But it is certainly doable!

hair... Most have a period of Hair loss, but that said, it does get better (I lost hair from month 2 to month 4 after the surgery). You will be advised on suppliments to take by your program, but again, there is a lot of information here.

And don't be shy! Ask questions or respond to any posts or threads!

Thank you for your very kind words and support. And I certainly do need to work on behavior and control. I appreciate any advice and will post my journey. Thank you again so very kindly????

Of course!!! You are among friends here!

You did not fail the diets, the diets failed you!!!!!!!

Once you are learning how to eat to live you will find that a red light moment will come into your head and you will think why didn't I know that.........

We are so seduced by what we see, commercials, magazines, even big business to see that food is the surrounding of our true happiness...that has led to a world wide epidemic of over weight nations.....

I have learned so much through my journey so far and you will too....

you have all of us here to help you along and listen to your concerns....

Some may come off strong but that is because they care and are really trying to help you..Some will be gently and coax you a long..

But here we all want the same thing...to be healthy and happy and leave the excess weight behind....

Feel free to ask or talk about whatever you need to....

Congrats on your journey so far...I'm rooting for you!!!!!!!! :)

I am also a older gastric sleeve patient 68 when i had mine done and it has been a journey you will enjoy , yes there was some hair lost not much but the weight loss was so worth it .I was 212 size 20 in clothes and now 8 months later am in 12 's jump in and hold on for this is worth it. No more living to eat but eating to just live , good luck , Wanda

Thank you all so much for the encouragement. What a wonderful way to think. "Eating to live" instead of living to eat! I also appreciate that you mentioned that the diets failed me as Everyone feels like failures when they do no succeed in loosing weight and therefore you eat because you feel like a failure...at least I do. I am tired of living like that. I wish this surgery was available to my father when he was alive. He struggled and went on every diet you can imagine and finally lost weight but died a few months later at age 65. In my family food was given as comfort. As something that made you feel better and made you happy. As a reward and etc. so instead of drugs or alcohol I choose what comforted me in times of sadness and despair. The refrigerator became my best friend. I have lived in Louisiana only two years and came here from California under difficult circumstances. Because of that and my weight I rarely go anywhere and I do not have any friends. My only support is my husband of 42 years. But now the tides are turning and I have new friends.....all of you...I am so thankful to you all.

My name is Kathy and I live in Louisiana . I am 61 years old I will be 62 in April. I have been battling eating problem since I got married at age 19. My main problem is that I over eat when I am sad or something bad happens that is difficult to handle and people call that emotional eating but I Call it bingeing. I have two sisters one has passed away but all of us were overweight in our adult years. my father was probably in the 300 lb range. I have chosen not to go to Mexico because I'm not comfortable with going there but that being said I know many people who have gone there have been successful with no problems or regrets. it is just my personal decision that I am making to stay here in Louisiana. I am 5'4" and I weigh over 200 pounds. I have tried and failed to lose weight more times than I can count. And each time I get bigger and bigger. This is not a decision that I came to overnight.I have researched it for the past 6 years. the past two years has been extremely difficult. I have tried walking 2 miles every day trying to diet and consistently failing. I am basically healthy at this point. I do have restless leg syndrome and I also have acid reflux which I believe is attributed to the weight gain. I also have depression which is associated with many things but certainly the weight problem contributes to my self-esteem. I also feel that as I age other things can happen such as high blood pressure and diabetes so I really don't want to go there. I have my lab work done and I have a consultation on January 20, 2014. I am in hopes that I will have my surgery on February 5th 2014. I am confident that this is the right thing for me and I'm looking forward to it as I see it as the end of a long time struggle. I have heard that people will lose their hair after the surgery and for this I have checked into supplements and other things that you can do to prevent or to make it so that you don't loose so much or any at all. Also getting the proper nutrition, Protein and Iron as well as other things is vital not Only because it would help to not lose your hair but it'll help you to be healthier and heal faster. I will update as I go forward.

Hi Kathy my name is Cathy I basically have had the same weight problems all my life. I had surgery January 9th in Michigan . I am hoping this will be a positive point in my life. Good luck with your surgery.

Hi Kathy my name is Cathy I basically have had the same weight problems all my life. I had surgery January 9th in Michigan . I am hoping this will be a positive point in my life. Good luck with your surgery.

Hi Cathy, OMG I would love to hear how you are doing a you progress through the month. I wish you well. By the way. My son lives in michigan too. Right now he is living in hazel park but looking for a new place in farmington hills where he works. Looking forward to hearing from you again.

Kathie

Kathie, how tall are you? My start and goal weights are very similar to yours, and I'm 60 years old also.

Edited by JeanZ

Hi, I am 5'4" tall. I Live in Monroe, Louisiana but no one will do this for me here because my BMI is just barely under 35 so I am going to New Iberia where my neighbors friend went to have hers done. I have to pay cash but I have suffered so long that I will do any thing to loose weight.

KathieMae52, I live in Caldwell Parish just about 30 miles from you. I'm wanting to have the sleeve done in West Monroe and plan to use Dr. Zizzi. I am currently gathering info for my insurance company so they will cover my cost. Which surgeon have you chose?

Hi Layla

Thank you for writing to me. My husband works at the same hospital with Dr. Zizzi and I checked with him but my BMI is just under 35 and I don't have other related problems so he won't do me. And my insurance will not cover it so I must pay cash. I am going to Dr. Borland in New Iberia. His cost is $9800. My neighbors friend went to him 5 months ago and she is doing fantastic. It is a long drive but worth it so I don't have to go to Mexico. my husband is going with me. I live in the frenchman's bend area of monroe. I wish you well and if you need anything let me know.

Kathie

Wow it is a small world sometimes, meeting and friending. Welcome everyone. I am 67 years old, 2 months post op. Please feel free anyone to check out our Boomer Chat Room forum here for some happy huggable new friends.

I had my lab work done and results sent to the doctor for review. On Monday we leave for new Iberia! Louisiana to meet with the doctor for the consultation. If all goes well we expect to schedule surgery for February 5th 2014. We will stay in a hotel for two days since does it as an outpatient surgery where as he comes to see you both days. I expect to be released Friday morning and return home. Will update as I go along.