Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for those who were 325+ Pre-Sleeve

Wondering if there is a group of those who were above 300-350 when they had their sleeve done. It seems that the majority of the people I have encountered so far, were under 300 when they had their surgery, and while I'm sure their experience is helpful, I am really interested in the experiences of those closer to my own weight as it seems like they (the few that I have found here) have lost a bit faster than those under 300. Which totally makes since, as the larger you are, the more energy it takes to move that mass which in turn means calories burned, which means a greater loss... or something like that. :blush: And, I do realize everyone looses at a different rate; it seems that there are a lot of similarities to losses.

Man, that last sentence is so 'stalkerish'.... why yes, I'm stalking your stats. B)

No judgment, please understand, I'm just trying to make an informed decision. The quicker I am able to lose weight during the first part of the loss, I guess the, HoneyMoon Phase, the more encouraged I will be to take the plunge in the first place. Does that make sense? :mellow:

Knowing that I have my first appointment with my surgeon this week, which also means that I will be given my diet plan, and scheduled for all the other post-op appointments, the head-hunger is out of control. And, the only person who knows I'm considering this is a couple of friends that have hand wls and my mom. Everyone is so busy that I don't have anyone to talk to about this and so I have all these thoughts :blink: rolling around in my head. And the only way I know to make that stop is to systematically start looking for answers... making my head busy with other stuff...

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it. Please feel free to send me a private message if you don't want to post publicly; I know how sensitive these subjects are. :)

I was at 340 -- well 339.9 but who's counting ;) -- at my first surgeon's appointment. I had to do a six month supervised weight loss plan for my insurance, and then the 2 week preop liver-shrinking diet, so I was under 300 when I got my surgery. I don't share stats or numbers regarding weight loss here because I've seen too many people get waaayyy too focused on comparisons, to nobody's advantage. But for your research purposes, you can count me as someone who is on the slow side of losing despite starting out as a heavy weight.

Edited by Bufflehead

I was 386 at consult and 381 day of surgery and I'm now around 260. I'm coming up on my one year anniversary so if you have any questions please feel free to get in touch.

I was 330 before surgery. I had a 2 week pre op diet and lost 15 lbs. I had surgery 3 months ago and I am down 82.5 lbs!!!! The sleeve is amazing and is just a tool in this long journey to be healthy!! Hope this helps!! Good luck!

Edited by jlw1324

Either way, be careful. Everyone is different. A slow loser is still a loser. YMMV = your mileage may vary holds true for this as in most things in life.

Why the hurry? It took years to get this fat....is it reasonable to assume you will lose it quickly? Is it healthier to lose it slowly or quickly? Can you love yourself enough to do what is right and then let it be knowing you followed the rules and did your level best?

What if you are within the averages and only lose 60-70% of your excess weight? Does this mean you are a failure to you? Why? Are your expectations realistic? WLS is not a magic pill or a magic wand waved at our fatness to be disappeared.

I started at 334, lost 24 prior to surgery eating 1200-1500kcal and some exercise. Lost 22lbs in the last 20 days since Dec 24 (surgery date). The problem with you applying my numbers to you is this does not apply to any other human than me. Yay me....but, have I fixed my mental issues that go along with my weight - working on it.

Almost all of us here need to get our heads right. We are seriously f*&ked up in our fantasies/nightmares about our bodies / weight.

This sleeve is working fantastic right now for me. It too can help you. It will not cure the problem we have between our ears.....we will have to fix that to get healthy in every way.

I was 326 day of surgery (May 8, 2013) and 225 now. Followed doc's orders to the letter and had zero complications. I started light cardio about 3 weeks out, then switched to weights when I felt comfortable doing so...3 mos. or so.

As mentioned previously, please don't get caught up in measuring your success based on the results of others...you'll end up depressed (or depressing someone else!).

Good luck and get ready, you're in for an awesome ride! :D

I was 423 at highest, 366 at surgery, and about 315 now. I lose slowly, but that's OK, what else am I gonna do?

I was 340 when got serious about surgery in early 2013 and 320 on the day of surgery. When I informally compare myself to others on this site, I see a trend that those taller and younger than me are losing faster, as I am losing quite slowly. While I seem to be in the "Slow Losers Club," I am really happy with my experience so far (even though there are days that I wish the pounds would just fall off magically). It's all about continuing on my own path regardless of what's happening around me, and I can't wait to see what the next year brings!

Edited by Shells_Almost_There

I was 380....really!

I started at 377 in May of 2013. I had a 6 month monitored weight loss requirement that I took very seriously. I had surgery on November 21st at 303 lbs. My weight this morning (after a 15 day stall) was 270. Im looking forward to continuing losses! So far, loving my sleeve!

347 at first NUT consult

6 month supervised weight loss

322 day of surgery

264 after 2.5 months post op

All my best,

Jay

Sleeved Sept 27, 2013

Starting weight 410

Current weight 323

Weight loss 87 pounds.

I have not started exercising yet. I will when I get 300.

Starting weight (before pre op diet) 394 Surgery day dec31st= 381 Now-362 Total weight loss = 32 lbs

39 years old, 5'10 and 332 at my highest..... Had my surgery April 2012 and lost 142 lbs.... Now 7 months pregnant expecting my first baby and have gained 19lbs..... So far so good!! Best decision that I have EVER made!!

Ahhh, there are some of us out there! Awesome. I'm weird, but even though everyone is different, just seeing the raw numbers some how encourages me... and calms me. I meet with my surgeon tomorrow and hopefully will get my pre-op diet. Fingers crossed!! Anyway, thanks for the info, peeps! You ALL have done amazing, and I'm so proud of you! And, I can't wait to join you!