Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fall down 7 times. Stand up 8!

Hello.

For years I have considered weight loss surgery but finally started the process in July of 2013. My surgeon is Dr. Robert Quinlin at Ruby Memorial Hospital in Morgantown, WV. My surgery is Monday, January 13, 2014. Quinlin and his team have been phenomenal so far.

My highest weight was 334lbs in July. I have since lost 14lbs and am at 320lbs. I am 5'6" and 41yrs old.

I have been big most of my life but that never kept me from participating in life nor were there any limitations until the past few years. When I weighed 270 five years ago, I began to realize the consequence of aging and carrying the weight and gained 60 MORE pounds. This last 60lbs has basically left me exhausted and miserable. It's all I can do sometimes to get to work, keep the house clean, and ...exist. The limitations happened within 5 years and then I was faced with the reality of consequence of working night shift, convenient eating, eating at night, sleeping during the day. It sounds silly but one day I just looked in the mirror and wondered when and how did this happen? Or better yet, how did I let my weight get so out of control?

I am a food enthusiast, not so much sweet things but more drawn to bread and doughy things. And soda!

This week I am on the pre-op liquid diet [high Protein, sugar free Jello, sugar free popscicles, and broth]. It has been very difficult but it is almost over. I made it! Tomorrow morning it's Clear liquids only. Kudos to those of you doing two weeks of liquids.

99% of the people in my life are supportive of this decision. The others think I can lose the weight on my own. But they cannot possibly imagine the convergence of misery that has resulted in this decision. Sometimes I even think "oh my god, you are really doing this!?"...then I nod and think "YES I AM!"

My parents are my biggest support. I thank the Lord everyday that they are here for me.

My anxiety comes and goes. I find myself more anxious in preparing...having the dogs taken care of for three days, the packing of the hospital bag, having clean sheets on the bed for when I arrive back home but I am sure Monday morning I will battling my inner frenzy. Even so, I am ready. Whatever it takes. Fall down seven times, stand up eight.

Tomorrow I will do before pics. And maybe I will figure out how to get a profile picture.

Thanks for reading. It's truly wonderful that technology at least provides this channel of support, experience, sharing, and understanding.

Congrats on your decision to become a happier and healthier you! Your story sounded so much like mine, I had to respond! ;) I have always been bigger but still lived life, went out and had fun, and was basically happy. Then my back got bad. One day I looked in the mirror and wondered when the hell I got HUGE??!! How did I let myself get that big? I always saw myself as smaller in my mind; never seeing how big I had gotten until I would see a photograph. Then I was shocked!! I started at 340lbs, was 303 at surgery in April 2013 and am now at 208. I lost enough weight to be able to have my back surgery and am recovering and feeling so much better. I will be following your progress so keep posting! Best of luck on Monday! You've got this!

Edited by Dorian

Hello. For years I have considered weight loss surgery but finally started the process in July of 2013. My surgeon is Dr. Robert Quinlin at Ruby Memorial Hospital in Morgantown, WV. My surgery is Monday, January 13, 2014. Quinlin and his team have been phenomenal so far. My highest weight was 334lbs in July. I have since lost 14lbs and am at 320lbs. I am 5'6" and 41yrs old. I have been big most of my life but that never kept me from participating in life nor were there any limitations until the past few years. When I weighed 270 five years ago, I began to realize the consequence of aging and carrying the weight and gained 60 MORE pounds. This last 60lbs has basically left me exhausted and miserable. It's all I can do sometimes to get to work, keep the house clean, and ...exist. The limitations happened within 5 years and then I was faced with the reality of consequence of working night shift, convenient eating, eating at night, sleeping during the day. It sounds silly but one day I just looked in the mirror and wondered when and how did this happen? Or better yet, how did I let my weight get so out of control? I am a food enthusiast, not so much sweet things but more drawn to bread and doughy things. And soda! This week I am on the pre-op liquid diet [high Protein, sugar free Jello, sugar free popscicles, and broth]. It has been very difficult but it is almost over. I made it! Tomorrow morning it's Clear Liquids only. Kudos to those of you doing two weeks of liquids. 99% of the people in my life are supportive of this decision. The others think I can lose the weight on my own. But they cannot possibly imagine the convergence of misery that has resulted in this decision. Sometimes I even think "oh my god, you are really doing this!?"...then I nod and think "YES I AM!" My parents are my biggest support. I thank the Lord everyday that they are here for me. My anxiety comes and goes. I find myself more anxious in preparing...having the dogs taken care of for three days, the packing of the hospital bag, having clean sheets on the bed for when I arrive back home but I am sure Monday morning I will battling my inner frenzy. Even so, I am ready. Whatever it takes. Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Tomorrow I will do before pics. And maybe I will figure out how to get a profile picture. Thanks for reading. It's truly wonderful that technology at least provides this channel of support, experience, sharing, and understanding.

Congrats on your surgery, it will be tough but worth every minute. Can't wait to see our post after surgery. God Bless

Congrats on your decision to become a happier and healthier you! Your story sounded so much like mine, I had to respond! ;) I have always been bigger but still lived life, went out and had fun, and was basically happy. Then my back got bad. One day I looked in the mirror and wondered when the hell I got HUGE??!! How did I let myself get that big? I always saw myself as smaller in my mind; never seeing how big I had gotten until I would see a photograph. Then I was shocked!! I started at 340lbs, was 303 at surgery in April 2013 and am now at 208. I lost enough weight to be able to have my back surgery and am recovering and feeling so much better. I will be following your progress so keep posting! Best of luck on Monday! You've got this!

Dorian, thank you! I still dont think of myself this overweight until I see a picture or until I try to enjoy shopping, or until my knees remind me that what I think is not what is.

Your weight loss is awesome! Congratulations! And so glad to hear your back surgery was able.to happen and you are doing well.

I hope that the damage done to my knees is not severe enough for surgery. They asked me my goal weight a few times and I said 200lbs. so you are around my goal weight. I know that my medically preferred weight is around 150lbs...but I don't even desire to be that thin. It could happen, though. Time will certainly tell.

Thanks again.

Congrats on your surgery, it will be tough but worth every minute. Can't wait to see our post after surgery. God Bless

Thank you, cookier224! Less than 24hours. Phew!

Great post kookichu and let me add my congratulations to everyone else's! "Fall down 7 times. Stand up 8!" Fabulous!! You're gonna love the new you!!

Great post kookichu and let me add my congratulations to everyone else's! "Fall down 7 times. Stand up 8!" Fabulous!! You're gonna love the new you!!

Thank you for the support, DL. The ironic thing is I fell down three steps today while loading the dog kennel on the back of my dad's truck. Luckily, I am only bruised and scraped. It was crazy, actually!

I AM gonna love the new me! :)

Good luck to you. I can identify with so much of your story.....I had my surgery last Monday and I am doing very well and have no regrets. I have another week off work but if I had to return this week I could have. I'm starting o figure things out and everyday I feel even better. It's nice to know someone starting out with me.

Karen

Good luck to you. I can identify with so much of your story.....I had my surgery last Monday and I am doing very well and have no regrets. I have another week off work but if I had to return this week I could have. I'm starting o figure things out and everyday I feel even better. It's nice to know someone starting out with me.

Karen

Oh you sweet angel, thank you. The anxiety has set in and while I know it's normal to have jitters, I dont want them. Haha.

Just hearing from folks who are through it and doing fantastic is such a comfort right now. Congratulations!

I've planned for 6weeks off, but figured if I am doing fine that perhaps I could return in 4weeks. From the sound of it you are quite strong and determined! Thank you for reaching out...as I'm not sure sleep is going to come tonight. If I could hug you for real I would!

I didn't sleep the night before either not from fear but more excitement, after 6 months of planning I just wanted to get the show on the road! I woke up thinking about you this morning said a little prayer and hope when you read this you are feeling pretty good!

I didn't sleep the night before either not from fear but more excitement, after 6 months of planning I just wanted to get the show on the road! I woke up thinking about you this morning said a little prayer and hope when you read this you are feeling pretty good!

GOOD morning!! Thank you because the multitude of prayers and well wishes have surely helped me be as well as I am just 16 hours post surgery...

post-202328-0-36765700-1389698546_thumb.png

[ATTACH]40297[/ATTACH]

so relieved; relieved it's done and that I feel so great...hope it's not the morphine talking.

Nope it's YOU talking ( the meds probably help) but its you! My dr keep telling me that my positive attitude was why I felt so good so between your attitude and all those prayers you are in a in win situation! Keep smiling you are on the other side now

Just wanted to update. Had surgery Monday afternoon, was feeling very well afterward except for the dry mouth in the recovery room. Surgery began around 1pm, was finished by 3pm, and I was in my room by 5:30pm.

On Tuesday morning, they took the morphine pump away and by the afternoon I was falling asleep changing tv channels. By Tuesday evening I had developed a fever of 100.4 and was feeling rough. My nurses were phenomenal. Tuesday night, my fever broke, we rejoiced with a walk and a shower. The shower was great.

Wednesday morning, I was ready to go home. Dr. Quinlin visited Tuesday and Wenesday morning along with his PA, Kristen. My drain was removed Wednesday morning as well [which was not painful, but strange feeling].

I have 6 small incisions as they.removed a small hernia near my.belly button. Incision sites are slightly bruised, my insides are sore but the pain is managable.

My mom stayed the night last night which was probably unneccessary but to ease her mind, I did not protest.

I'm on the other side. It's so strange to have seen this dream to fruition...and, looking back, it happened so fast. I started the process July 16th and it is 6 months to the day. As soon as I crop my head out of the picture, I will post one. No pre-op pictures were taken but we did pics yesterday when I arrived home from the hospital [not proud of what is captured, but eager to watch the transformation]

Thank you for the support. Good luck to everyone. And if you are reading this with questions, don't hesitate to ask like I did for so long. Jump in!

July 16, 2013- 334lbs

Wednesday, January 8th- 320lbs

Monday, January 13th -310lbs [day of surgery]

They did not weigh me during hospital stay or during discharge.

Follow up appointment is January 22nd.

post-202328-0-57770500-1389902446_thumb.png

[ATTACH]40412[/ATTACH]

So glad you are home and doing well. Give yourself time to figure out the food situation. I am using MyFitnessPal to help me track my Protein intake and that has been very helpful for me. I am excited to have someone so close to my surgery date to chat with here. Wishing you smooth sailing from here forward!