Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Bout New Zealand

Hi All, I just wanted to reintroduce myself, I haven't been into this site for a while and was pleased to see how the NZ thread had grown, there wasn't one when I first joined but I loved this site and it has got me thru so much!

MY STORY- I was banded April 2006 by Dr Fris, 106 kg on surgery day, got down to 80kg, it was a long, hard road with a lot of PB'ing and frustration........a bit due to having to adjust to my new life-style. I was single at the time and got very nervous in social situation having to eat in front of people or on dates.

Then in April this year after meeting a wonderful man I got even more frustrated that we couldn't eat much together and finally told him, the first guy I had ever told about my surgery, he is a wonderful, supportive man and coincidentally we became engaged 2 days ago, 1st of September......yipeee!!!! But back to story....so I had a big deflate as I wanted to share cooking meals with him etc, enjoy romantic dinners.....and enjoy my overseas holiday with him and my family without embarrassing trips to the toilet.....understandably, I put back on a lot of weight but was ok until I realised I was obsessing too much about food again and stuffing myself silly. I couldn't fit my work uniform again and realised I wanted to have a family soon and didn't want to be this size but more healthy and happy, a side effect of the weight gain was I started to get depressed about the extra weight and it affected my love life and I wasn't about to lose this wonderful man who has entered my life.

5 weeks ago I reinflated the band, went ok at first, but didn't really lose, and was eating too large portion sizes, went 2 days ago to get a small fill..........geez what a drama, had to go back to docs twice (luckily I only live 10 mins away from Dr Fris and get unfilled, still a bit wary at moment, have finally managed to get some food down but gurgling a little still, hoping it will settle in next couple of days or else it is back to Dr on Monday, so now ironically back to fill size from 5 weeks ago.....

Anyway sorry for long story, just wanted to give my details.......

I think I am going to have to adjust to eating more band friendly but I am so blessed to have finally found someone to support me in all this and who understands.

Hope to hear from you all soon

Kind regards

Fiona

Hi Fiona,

I'm newish to this and this site has been fantastic, I am still waiting to be banded, with Fris as well, we must live pretty close to each other ;) spoke to Ainsley today looks like it will be mid October, was slightly disappointed cause i just wanted it done !! Anyway, sounds like alot to get used to, at the moment I feel like I am having my last supper every time i have something to eat and stuffing it down, even though i know i have to go sssllllooowww, can't believe its supposed to take 20 mins to drink a bloody up and go, so will have to sort my head out on that one.

You've done it once so you can do it again and keep us posted, I sure will be, this is like my new hobby lol :thumbup:

Hi all you kiwis out there,

I have decided I want to venture into the wonderful world of lapband. I live in Auckland and have discovered on the internet that my best options of surgeons are Dr Fris (Glenfield) or Dr Booth (Remuera).

I would really appreciate some guidance as to how I go about all this,

• Am I meant to get a referral from my doctor first

• Am I best to go to one of the information nights first, even though I have already made my decision

• How many visits are there prior to the operation itself.

• Does the $15,000 include all the visit prior and after surgery.

I know this is a lot, but I am, at this stage a real amateur, would appreciate some insight from you fellow lapbanders.

Kind regards

Shwee:smile:

Shwee here again, sorry forgot to put my stats.

I think I am currenty 140kg (maybe heavier), feeling absolutely sore, aching body, especially back and legs (knees, feet and archilles). Am feeling the worst I have ever felt.

Its definitely time for me to do something about it, I have so many more symptoms its unreal.

Cant wait to get started in the right direction, just need some guidance as to which way that is?

Would really appreciate the advice.

Regards

Shwee:smile:

Hi all,

It has been a while since i have posted here. Have been busy with life!

Weight loss is going well, i have just come out of a slow patch where i only lost a couple of kg over a couple of months. i had a 0.5ml inflation though and it made all the difference to me. i am now back on track, losing my 3-4 a month. yay.

Quite exciting too ... i have just about reached a little mini goal ... i wanted to lose 35kg by christmas ... i decided that the day i had my banding done. The rate i am going i will be there by the end of this week ... not to bad ... a good month early.

i really can't believe this worked as well as it has.

So exciting!!

Hi tracy, i see you were banded here in HB-im about to get banded on the 27th of this month and feeling expectedly nervous as well as excited!!!! Would love to hear more of your experience re surgery, recovery, progress and your life style after the band (hope thats not to much to ask???? Awesome to see your well on your way to acheiving your goal it makes me believe im doing the right thing :lol:

are you in HB too, getting banded at royston?

am happy to share all with you ... i am far from shy ...

i can private message my details, give you a call, catch up for a coffee.

wow i am s super excited for you ... it is an amazing wonderful step to take!!

tracy

Yep to both questions-and thanks it makes a difference having someone to chat to who has had same surgeon etc thanks for the support as i said above im excited about the outcomes nervous about the procedure :lol:

Wow, this thread is pretty much dying, where are you all, hahaha...........wow, it is nearly Xmas, can't believe it, I am even going to stick up the Xmas tree next week.

Well last time I talked to you all I was going thru' problems with fills etc............still struggling, I am not dealing well with the band and am seriously considering taking out the saline for now..........I am constantly PB'ing and it is very stressful and embarassing, I want to be able to eat a sandwich and be full, but I am regurgitating EVERYTHING.........does anyone else find their band is unpredictable in the morning and only settles at night???

Cheers to you all

XX Amourette:smile:

Wow, this thread is pretty much dying, where are you all, hahaha...........wow, it is nearly Xmas, can't believe it, I am even going to stick up the Xmas tree next week.

Well last time I talked to you all I was going thru' problems with fills etc............still struggling, I am not dealing well with the band and am seriously considering taking out the saline for now..........I am constantly PB'ing and it is very stressful and embarassing, I want to be able to eat a sandwich and be full, but I am regurgitating EVERYTHING.........does anyone else find their band is unpredictable in the morning and only settles at night???

Cheers to you all

XX Amourette:smile:

Ok here are my tips ...

Yes my band is very unpredictable in the morning. i tend to stick with very soft foods until after lunchtime. Night time is when i have my more luck with eating.

As a rule, if you PB once during the day, you will do so again for the rest of the day. If i do, i go back to liquids/soft foods for the day and take it easy.

You have to be super patient with it!

Some things that help me with eating are ... before i eat i drink a glass or two of Water ten minutes before. This makes a load of difference for me. It clears out the pouch of any gooey stuff and makes it easier for the food to go down.

I read in a lapband book i was given ... you should beable to eat 1/2 cup of food in 20mins. i talked to a lady and she was saying you need to eat little fingernail sized bites and put your knife and fork down between each bite. Really slow eating and teeny bites is the key.

As for eating a sandwich ... i can't eat a sandwich, i would PB trying. i can not do bread. Try different foods. i have become quite inventive as i am intolerant to alot of food. i am quite unlucky in that regard ... or perhaps lucky as most of the bad food i just can not eat now. It took me a good 6 - 8 months to learn what i can and can not eat ...

The other thing is ... never ever drink during a meal ... i am sure you have been told that though! That is sure to cause a PB.

As for an unfill ... it can be a good idea, you would be surprised at the difference just a half a ml unfill can make.

hi guys

its been awhile since i posted here but i just wanted to let you all know that i have FINALLY launched SIZEXCHANGE an online clothes exchange website for dieters. We just launched today in Australia and NZ. I am so excited as its been a vision of mine for over 3years since I first became a member on lapbandtalk.com.

I hope this new service helps all navigating through dress sizes whilst they are on their way to their goal size.

So check out SizeXchange and let me know what you think. i would love to hear your feedback. :laugh:

Hello from Hanmer Springs, NZ

Last night I was interviewed on Australian primetime news program 'A Current Affair'.

I was interviewed about my weight loss journey and about SizeXchange-an online clothes swap community for dieters and families transitioning through dress sizes that has just launched in Australia and New Zealand

It was so nerve wracking and exciting watching myself on Australian TV I cant believe how far I have come...thanks to my LAP-BAND®. Check it out A Current Affair - SizeXchange story

Hopefully everyone will be doing the 'SizeXchange Jiggle' before too long...hahaha :thumbup:

Please let me know what you think.

:eek: Flabuless

I am wondering if there is anyone out there in NZ who has been or is about to be banded. From what I am reading on the other threads the rules and requirements are different here. I am due to be banded on 14 Jan and would love to talk to anyone......anyone in this neck of the woods.

The magic bullet should be your best friend through the mushy food stage. I use it for avocados with Tomato garlic and lemon juice with some fat free french dressing or similar - it makes a very soft guacamole with goes down well, ver nutricious and easily digestable.

I also use it for hard boiled eggs with a teaspoon of lite dressing and some curry powder = curried eggs mush which is easy to eat with a teaspoon.

the trick is to make it wet .

smoothies are also good with frozen berries or fruit.< /p>

my 1st fll will beon the 22nd of Jan- not no much looking forward to that but am looking forward to the reduced capacity.

Went for a bike ride last night with my daughter, seing as how I can't go to the gym so easily as can't take kids there and I have no one to look after her.

although this reply is to a log in over a year ago I am curious about how you have managed over the last year. You give a couple of good hints for food and I need that badly. I am due to be banded on 14th Jan.

Hi there, I am new to the forum and am waiting to meet with Dr Fris for the first time next week. Guess it will take some time to read all the info provided here on the website and learn about the life adjustments I am going to need prior to my appt and information evening.

Looking forward to hearing from other kiwis about how they adjusted their lifestyles. :wink: