Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Bout New Zealand

Hi amourette,

Thanks for the reply, I would be happy to self pay also, but it was the surgeon's team who said no, however they are still willing to help me with dietician visits etc. Would you suggest I visit someone else to get a second opinion?

Hi SBear,

I just did a calculation on what I would weigh with your BMI and I have to say I wouldn't have been that weight for about 18 years.

I do wonder if the LB surgery would be as effective on someone with that BMI? I don't know enough about it.

The dietitian visit may help. If I were you i would probably be looking for ways to avoid the surgery if I could achieve weight loss another way.

in saying that it is your life and your decision mate and I wish you well.

Aaah, life is busy. Anyone got a time machine I can pinch? :S

Amourette - since talking to my friend I think her sister has added issues like severe nutrient deficiencies (I've got low B12 but I've had that since before getting banded; seems her sister is on all sorts of Vitamin regimes, both pills and shots) and also doesn't eat 'well', apparently. My friend doesn't have a good view of bariatric surgery, however, so I think she's quite biased. (She was having a go at me recently, saying that everyone can lose weight naturally, etc, I almost lost it and told her to stop eating and lose weight herself in that case... It took a lot of self control not to say that... A LOT of self control....)..

On the flip side, I mentioned it to my mum who said that miscarriages are actually quite common and that it likely wasn't even related to the surgery - like how you were told you didn't need to let your band out, I imagine. Though I have to say I like the fact we can control the band if we need to, compared to permanent stomach surgery....

AAAJJJ - nice updates! :D I totally can't eat takeaways anymore... The greasier, the worse they are... One chicken nugget will have me having that 'stuck' feeling for the next hour... I can't say I mind, though it is annoying when you're with people who insist on eating takeaways, heh. I found the same thing as you about the comments as well. A lot of people I didn't see very often would comment on my weight loss, but when I told one of my close friends (three years after getting it done) she thought about it for a moment, said that that made a weird sort of sense, then apologised for not noticing the weight loss, haha.

Sbear - Hi! :) BMI of 33... I calculated it out as well and when my BMI was around there I was still intent on loosing weight on my own. I think if my BMI had stayed around there with my own efforts I wouldn't have gone with the surgery at all to be honest. I ended up having to self-pay (because it wasn't 'curing' anything, insurance wouldn't pay for 'preventative' things, rargh.), and I don't regret having it at the stage I did or anything like that, but if you can lose weight by yourself then it is still better. No food getting stuck, or possible side effects (indigestion, yay (sarcasm!), possible band slippage, god knows what else), whatever else... And there's less stress related to food/going out for dinner/stuff like that. If I could've lost weight myself I wouldn't have had the surgery, but despite diets/gym/sports I never managed to lose any weight that wasn't put straight back on within a couple of weeks, so... Yeah.

I think I was a bit borderline for Dr Fris' office in a way - my BMI was 38 and I was 20 when I had the surgery... It came down to me and my sister both getting to the same weight (I was a bit heavier, and also shorter), we both worked hard to lose it, it came off her and it kept increasing on me. To be honest I'm surprised they let me have the surgery, but I think Dr Fris made the right decision to let me have it, and I made the right decision to go ahead with it, even if it is a pain in the backside sometimes (like when eating a croissant on a train in France on the weekend argh.).

I've been told that over here in Europe where I'm now working they kind of hand out bariatric surgery like lollies (according to my above-mentioned friend, who's sister had a gastric bypass), but I like to think that in NZ they have your best interests in mind and won't agree to give you the surgery unless they think you're out of other non-invasive options...

Been chugging along with the phd over here and been super busy. Also realised that I've been a bit too slack on the eating front and not onto it enough with the exercise front so think I've put on a leeetle too much weight. I've stopped trying to fit into my jeans (feels too restrictive sitting down and eating lunch while wearing them, which is probably psychological, but still). Need to work on that - going to give the Amsterdam half marathon a go in a couple of months (if the running group I've joined for that doesn't kill me first), so hopefully that will help. After the first half of the year being a total dud (between homesickness, illness and phd-related stuff), I'm finally getting the exercise up and running again, yay! Kind of ironic, but that means that I'll get fitter coming into Europe's winter so coming back to NZ summer for Christmas won't be a mad rush for a beach-appropriate figure (ha, as if I've ever had that...). Got to love playing winter sports...

Yet to decide if I'm going to pop in and see Dr Fris or Heather when I'm back. On the one hand maybe I should to have a checkup as it'll be my first time home in a year, and I likely won't be home again for another two, but on the other hand ... there are no problems (other than my own lack of concentration in the food department recently...). Hmm. Anyway.

The main thing from me at the moment is the above-mentioned friend and her total anti-everything-stomach-surgery-related attitude. It shouldn't annoy me, as everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I was hoping that being a friend she would be there for me if I had problems. She's very blunt (the Dutch are known for being blunt (so I've been told), but she takes it to extremes), so if I DO have a problem she'll probably tell me to live with it cos I chose to have it in the first place, or something equally helpful. Fortunately I haven't had problems, but her ranting to me about how gastric surgery is stupid, unneeded, and everyone can lose weight naturally has REALLY been rubbing the wrong way recently. I got that enough from my sister (especially when I got a couple of sizes smaller than her, haha), I don't need that from someone who is just upset because their sister had something done and lost weight so she decides to take it out on a friend at work.

Ok, rant over, time to sleep so I can keep up with the killer running trainer tomorrow.

Hope all's well!

So, I think its probably time I gave an update I don't know how long its been since i've posted( probably not that long). so im almost at the 6 month mark (about 5weeks till I hit 6months) and im happy with my progress but hoped for more. On the 1st I had a weigh in and im at 97.4kg wich is 15.4kg down from March. sooo i need to step up my game I think, im not hitting the targets I had hoped for. I have an appointment on friday I think, not sure how i'll do.

I am having trouble with trying not to sabotage myself. I try to tell myself 'no' but then I do and hate myself for it. I try to tell myself that I want to hit the gym hard, get in there every day but then I get overwhelmed with uni and end up not going. I don't know how to take control of myself and my thinking???

I have noticed a difference in myself in regards to my figure but in the last couple of months its really slowed down and in the last couple of weeks it feels like its stopped. i cant seem to motivate myself...

You guys all seem to be doing really well... im proud(lol). Maybe I need a treedmill or bike at home??? I seem to get the urge to exercise at the oddest times of day and usually im at home its the leaving the house thats the problem sometimes.

I don't know???

I'll post some more another time

Thanks AAAJJJ and PaleoKris for your replies. I am just frustrated I suppose because I've tried so many things and I can lose 10 kg or so, but it always comes back on + a little bit extra. I feel that on average I put on 5kg every year that I cannot shake afterward, so I wanted the surgery as a preventative measure more than anything, but I guess time will tell I suppose.

It's been so interesting to read all your updates & stories, I hope everyone has a nice weekend.

Laura - Woo! Under 100 :) Don't know if it would help but with 'hitting the gym hard' that sounds a bit like me and my foray into running.. I try and do too much, get overwhelmed by uni/how hard running is/whatever and don't do anything... Little steps first, leading up to big steps... Or something is better than nothing? Having the stress of knowing how much the surgery costs and what you went through for it makes sabotaging yourself feel even worse, I know... Sometimes I'd take papers to read at the gym on the bike or stuff like that, then it actually turned into good relaxation time for me - I was working with a personal trainer most of the time after the surgery and she was really good to talk to about uni, surgery, whatever. Having a trainer also forced me to actually go to the gym which kind of helped...

Personally I have a dislike of gyms now days (my personal trainer left the gym to work on her own, I followed her and developed a liking for doing gym work outside) - having a swiss ball and a couple of weights at home can still give you some good options and it's not as expensive as a treadmill or bike... so saying my parents also bought a bike for just that purpose of doing training at home. Which reminds me, I need to get my swiss ball over here to Europe and buy some weights...

Sbear - I can totally understand your frustration - your situation sounds similar to what I was going through as well. I had a great week once where I lost 5kg in between two nutritionist appointments... That was the biggest weight loss I ever had and that weight back on within a month. That was a couple of years before the surgery which, as I said, for me was preventative. I'd say take up their offer to keep talking to the dietician and keep in touch with them - if you're still trying to loose weight and it's still not working then they might reassess. I know Laura got reassessed after a couple of years, so 'no' isn't 'no forever, don't come back'.

As to what AAAJJJ said about it not being as effective, Dr Fris mentioned that the heavier you are, the more obvious the results straight away (given that I was under 100kg when I had it done I was in the 'less obvious results' category I suppose). So with a BMI of 33 if you did have the surgery you wouldn't have the 15kg in a month. For me it was more like 5 - 10kg at the start... Trying to remember what my weight loss rate was, but I can't, oops. All I know is that it still took about a year and a half for me to get to my ideal weight (and that was just with loosing about 40kg...). Mind you Dr Fris drew a graph that showed what he thought my healthy weight loss should be and I was just a bit slower than the chart, pretty close though.

Hopefully the dietician helps. :)

Have a good weekend people! :)

hey Sbear,

like Paleokris said I went back after a couple of years (unfortunately 10kg heavier). I don't know if you read eairlier posts but the first time i tried to get the band i was 17 and my BMI was still i think 39 but i didn't have any health problems !YET! so i couldn't get insurance or the surgery so Dr Fris told me to gain 2kg just to get me over that 40BMI mark so i could get insurance so i did and then like a month later i was turned down for the surgery cos of the psycologist(cow lol) but i continued to see the dietician for a few months but it got just to expensive for me so i stoped going to see her, but it did help when i was going to see her every week. At the end of last year i got to the stage where i had gained 5-10kg and still felt like the surgery was my only option so in march i ended up geting the band and im slowly losing weight.

I do think you should go to the dietician, I guess you gotta remember its a lifestyle change just like the band its not a diet the time is going to go by anyway so like Paleokris just told me abouth the gym its little steps. You may not have big weight loss at the begining but it will all add up in the end. when i first got the band i was just thinking i want to lose half of my goal by 6 months( that was like 40kg) and know that its 5 or so months down the line and i have only lost around 15kg to me its 15kg i wouldnt have lost before and everyone always tells me slow weight loss is better then quick, it gives your body time to bounce back i guess and get used to the changes and when you do it slowly there is less chance you will gain it back.

so my feelings now are that the time is going to go by anyway and im going to try the best i can to do what i can to help the process but any little bit helps and gets you closer to your goal. my new more realistic goal is to get to my goal weight of about 58-60kg(i know it sounds like nothing i may be happier with my body before that weight who knows) by my 21st birthday (oct. 28. 2012). I think its definately more realistic then 60kg in 12months.

just think/ set small goals for yourself and work towards them and you will get the result you want in the end.

Slow weight loss is definitely better than fast weight loss, it's more likely to stay off as your body has adapted, as you said. :)

I think with this surgery it's also better as it means your body can adapt to being more energy efficient as you allow it less food...

How tall are you Laura? (Just curious). Heh, funny that you mention being happy about your weight before you reach your ideal weight. My ideal weight is between 50 - 55 kg. I got to 58 and Heather and I agreed that that was fine and I was happy.... Last year at Christmas when I was home (after 8 months with no scales and three different sports) I was 56... And my mum was telling me to eat more. I realised when I got to 58 that if I got down to 55 or below I'd look like a stick and that 'ideal' weight is really to be taken with a grain of salt. Literally as well as figuratively. :P

Planning on joining a run this morning around the Amstel River (didn't go yesterday, didn't finish my Breakfast quick enough to go! Oops...) and they have a set of scales there so you can see how much Water you need to replace. That should be interesting... If I can find the place anyway. Haven't seen a set of scales since I've been home...

hey,

I'm 5ft 5" or 165cm. so i did go to the gym today did most of my workout but missed a couple of weights cos the gym was quite busy. Just need to make sure i go tomorrow. :D

Ah yup, a bit taller than me (I'm 5'2"/158cm).

Woo! Go you Laura :)

I actually got around to going for a run too, haha. It was so hot and muggy though that instead of making my 10.6km goal I only managed 8.3km. Woe. Oh well, as I said (and I should listen to my own advice!), small steps, hehe. Legs hurt enough though! And same with me - day off today, got to make sure I go for a little run tomorrow... When there's a storm warning here. Oops. Wonder if a couple of hours in the climbing hall can equal 5kms of climbing... Heh.

ok im not going to the gym today but i decided i'll go for a walk (take the dogs there due for one, maybe my brother too :P or not) the walk i do is about 6km not much but its enough for me lol.

Hi All,

Time for another update I guess. I have been pretty happy with how things have been going. I am losing generally between 0.75 and 1kg per week. The last couple of weeks have been a wee bit funny. I have felt that come weigh in time that I would see little weight loss and things have come up that meant I haven't been a strictly controlled as I would like to be. but the last 2 (fortnightly) weigh ins have shown me to have lost 1.7 and 2kg. I think this is a sign that overall I have made the changes in lifestyle required and "normal" is a lot different that it used to be - so abnormal isn't as bad as it used to be!

One thing I am very grateful for is the support I have received from the staff at the organisation I decided to have the surgery with - Obesity Surgery Wellington. I hear stories about infrequent/large inflations and adjustments or even little after surgery support at high cost. With them the payment for surgery covers 2 years worth of post surgery treatment! This is awesome stuff and I have found them all to be incredibly helpful and supportive. This is a big thing, and I would recommend anyone considering surgery to factor this in to their calculations.

I trust this finds you all well and healthy.

AJ

Nice about the weight losses AAAJJJ. I know the feeling about thinking it hasn't been going well.... I went to see Dr Fris last year when I was home for Christmas. Thought I would've put on at least a few kgs because despite getting into a mad amount of sports (running, climbing and floorball/unihoc/indoor hockey (whatever you feel like calling it, haha)), my eating had kinda gone down the drain. I thought I was eating more than I should be, I wasn't eating as well as I should be, etc...

Turns out I hadn't maintained my weight after all (I don't have scales over here, haven't gotten around to buying any new ones). I'd lost maintained it and lost another 2kg on top of that. It was the lightest I'd ever been since the age of... what... 10?, and was a bit of a surprise. When I was discussing it with Heather, Dr Fris' assistant, later I explained what I expected - no scales to weigh myself, doing lots of exercise but not really watching what I ate. Her reaction: Congratulations, you're normal.

Hehe. So that was 4 years down the line and my lifestyle finally clicked. I need to do a lot of sport to be able to not worry about what I'm eating, but it's enjoyable, and I can do it now. Had a crappy few months over here lately but thankfully only put on a few kg that I'm sure will come off when I start playing floorball again next week (if I don't kill myself in the process by overdoing it. Hmm.), fortunately just in time to come back for NZ summer, haha.

Wow, nice that Obesity Surgery Wellington has covered your next two years! Had to keep paying through the place I went to. Gah. It's so much money... Either way, it's worth it (though sometimes I still wish I could've got by without it).

Keep up the good work :)

Nice about the weight losses AAAJJJ. I know the feeling about thinking it hasn't been going well.... I went to see Dr Fris last year when I was home for Christmas. Thought I would've put on at least a few kgs because despite getting into a mad amount of sports (running, climbing and floorball/unihoc/indoor hockey (whatever you feel like calling it, haha)), my eating had kinda gone down the drain. I thought I was eating more than I should be, I wasn't eating as well as I should be, etc...

Turns out I hadn't maintained my weight after all (I don't have scales over here, haven't gotten around to buying any new ones). I'd lost maintained it and lost another 2kg on top of that. It was the lightest I'd ever been since the age of... what... 10?, and was a bit of a surprise. When I was discussing it with Heather, Dr Fris' assistant, later I explained what I expected - no scales to weigh myself, doing lots of exercise but not really watching what I ate. Her reaction: Congratulations, you're normal.

Hehe. So that was 4 years down the line and my lifestyle finally clicked. I need to do a lot of sport to be able to not worry about what I'm eating, but it's enjoyable, and I can do it now. Had a crappy few months over here lately but thankfully only put on a few kg that I'm sure will come off when I start playing floorball again next week (if I don't kill myself in the process by overdoing it. Hmm.), fortunately just in time to come back for NZ summer, haha.

Wow, nice that Obesity Surgery Wellington has covered your next two years! Had to keep paying through the place I went to. Gah. It's so much money... Either way, it's worth it (though sometimes I still wish I could've got by without it).

Keep up the good work :)

Hi, im new to this site and was just having a read of all the comments. I have just had the operation (gastric-band) inJune and have lost 15kg to date. You are pretty hard on yourself. Instead of saying "NO" allow yourself to say "YES" and then control the portion size. My understanding is the whole purpose of having the op allows us to get away from thinking "DIET" . I just finished University and due to the pressure i put all my weight (43kg) back on that i had lost naturally in the last year of uni. That was because i would snack (comfort eat) when i felt stressed so i know how you feel. Take small steps, I brought myself a treadmil a few years ago, i done a half hour walk every second day to lose the 43kg so i have just gone back to that regime post op. You don't need to incur the cost of a treadmil, just committ to walking every second day for half an hour (that will cost you nothiong) Regarding your thinking, start keeping a journal of what you are doing and reflect on this to pull out what habits have come about that are impinging your journey. Hope these strategies help, good luck.

So, I think its probably time I gave an update I don't know how long its been since i've posted( probably not that long). so im almost at the 6 month mark (about 5weeks till I hit 6months) and im happy with my progress but hoped for more. On the 1st I had a weigh in and im at 97.4kg wich is 15.4kg down from March. sooo i need to step up my game I think, im not hitting the targets I had hoped for. I have an appointment on friday I think, not sure how i'll do.

I am having trouble with trying not to sabotage myself. I try to tell myself 'no' but then I do and hate myself for it. I try to tell myself that I want to hit the gym hard, get in there every day but then I get overwhelmed with uni and end up not going. I don't know how to take control of myself and my thinking???

I have noticed a difference in myself in regards to my figure but in the last couple of months its really slowed down and in the last couple of weeks it feels like its stopped. i cant seem to motivate myself...

You guys all seem to be doing really well... im proud(lol). Maybe I need a treedmill or bike at home??? I seem to get the urge to exercise at the oddest times of day and usually im at home its the leaving the house thats the problem sometimes.

I don't know???

I'll post some more another time