Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When taking time off work...

It's come to the point of my journey where I'm close to having a date, therefore I will have to inform my place of employment I will be having to take a few weeks off of work. I know they don't have to know what I get done, but I'm more curious about what everyone has told their co-workers who have asked why you are going to take so much time off? I have some co workers who I'm friends with at work, but not outside of work, and I have no idea what I should say when they ask me! I don't want to be rude and say "its none of your business" or make them suspicious by saying "well it's really personal"

Also, I'm not self conscious about what I'm getting done, I just don't want them to judge me, and think "oh, she's taking the easy way out" I really am not comfortable telling anyone there.

So all in all, I'm wondering if anyone was in the boat I'm in, and can relate, and you could share what you did in this situation!?

The most common answer is to tell them you're having a laproscopic hernia repair.

I told my boss (in a letter) I was having a "medical procedure done" and that I didn't want it shared with my colleagues....

As for colleagues, I just told them I was taking care of some health issues and that I was/would be fine...

Now, almost 4 months later my boss still hasnt said anything to me about it :) ...and as for my colleagues, well some of them are complimenting me on my weight loss and walking away :) , others are asking what I'm "doing" because I look good :rolleyes: ...and then I've had a few basically corner me and say "you've had lapband surgery, havent you" :o ....followed by your losing alot of weight and you were out of work for 5 days so I put 2 and 2 together. :angry:

It's coming out slowly and I'm just trying to keep MY personal life personal except for those I CHOOSE to share it with. I work with a bunch of gossipy people. Some say what's the big deal and dont be embarassed by my decision. I'm not embarassed by my decision but I dont want people who won't support me talking about me or the decisions I have made. Unfortunately there is a multitude of scenarios that could take place.

It's an interesting situation no matter how you handle it....good luck on it!

And good luck on your upcoming surgery! Keep us posted!

I told my boss (in a letter) I was having a "medical procedure done" and that I didn't want it shared with my colleagues.... As for colleagues, I just told them I was taking care of some health issues and that I was/would be fine... Now, almost 4 months later my boss still hasnt said anything to me about it :) ...and as for my colleagues, well some of them are complimenting me on my weight loss and walking away :) , others are asking what I'm "doing" because I look good :rolleyes: ...and then I've had a few basically corner me and say "you've had lapband surgery, havent you" :o ....followed by your losing alot of weight and you were out of work for 5 days so I put 2 and 2 together. :angry: It's coming out slowly and I'm just trying to keep MY personal life personal except for those I CHOOSE to share it with. I work with a bunch of gossipy people. Some say what's the big deal and dont be embarassed by my decision. I'm not embarassed by my decision but I dont want people who won't support me talking about me or the decisions I have made. Unfortunately there is a multitude of scenarios that could take place. It's an interesting situation no matter how you handle it....good luck on it! And good luck on your upcoming surgery! Keep us posted!

I definitely like the way you worded it! I will definitely try that! I also work with gossipy people, so that's what I was just trying to avoid! Im also trying to stress I'm not embarrassed, it's just my business with the people I share it with, and with people who really understand who are on here!

Thank you for the good tips!

Most of the people, I've just told the, that I was having surgery. Plain and simple. Some I went on to say abdominal surgery. Most people haven't pried past that.

I told people at work NOTHING!

I simply took a week's vacation time....had my surgery early on a Monday morning, was back at work the following Monday...

My super knew I was having surgery but not for what. I used my vacation time to recover. Good luck

I wish I could just use my weeks vacation time! But, my work is physically demanding, do my surgeon said I may need to take 2-3 weeks off. So I'll need to take medical leave instead of using vacation. Thanks for all of the great ideas though!

I told my boss (in a letter) I was having a "medical procedure done" and that I didn't want it shared with my colleagues.... As for colleagues, I just told them I was taking care of some health issues and that I was/would be fine... Now, almost 4 months later my boss still hasnt said anything to me about it :) ...and as for my colleagues, well some of them are complimenting me on my weight loss and walking away :) , others are asking what I'm "doing" because I look good :rolleyes: ...and then I've had a few basically corner me and say "you've had lapband surgery, havent you" :o ....followed by your losing alot of weight and you were out of work for 5 days so I put 2 and 2 together. :angry: It's coming out slowly and I'm just trying to keep MY personal life personal except for those I CHOOSE to share it with. I work with a bunch of gossipy people. Some say what's the big deal and dont be embarassed by my decision. I'm not embarassed by my decision but I dont want people who won't support me talking about me or the decisions I have made. Unfortunately there is a multitude of scenarios that could take place. It's an interesting situation no matter how you handle it....good luck on it! And good luck on your upcoming surgery! Keep us posted!

I definitely like the way you worded it! I will definitely try that! I also work with gossipy people, so that's what I was just trying to avoid! Im also trying to stress I'm not embarrassed, it's just my business with the people I share it with, and with people who really understand who are on here!

Thank you for the good tips!

Glad I could help...it is a tough call no matter which way you go! People are naturally curious and some are just plain nosy....which wouldn't be so bad if they weren't gossipy and negative too! <_<

Good luck!

Edited by chasingadream