Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My doc recently suggested I consider sleeve surgery and I'm a bit frightened about it.

Edited by terri07

Just read everything: the good stuff AND the bad stuff. These stories might help you gauge if you're ready or not. Good luck! :)

Thanks for your encouragement. I just have so many questions and the unknown is what fuels my fear. Right now I have a lot of acid reflux, when my stomach would be reduced by 80%, would the reflux go away or would it be worse? I've been on some really restrictive diets (HCG = 500 calories a day) where you always felt weak from not many calories or dizzy from the supplements of other diets, etc. After you've healed form surgery, do you feel weak from such a low quantity of food, or do the Protein supplements help with that?

I am in the last phases of completing all my requirements before my doc submits for insurance approval. I too suffer from acid reflux and take medication for it and my doctor told me that once I have the surgery that the acid reflux will go away. I have taken a lot of time and consideration on my decision to do this and for me, it's the right choice. Just keep in mind that this is something that requires a commitment to a complete lifestyle change when it comes to your eating habits and food. This like most worthy things in life only works if you do. One thing that u have in your corner is that you have discovered this forum. There are so many here that can help you as you take this journey. Good luck and I'll be posting things as I go through my own journey!

It's a little early for me to chirp too much about my experience. I was sleeved on December 26th. I had no problems with the surgery nor recovery. I lost about 10 pounds in the first 08 days. Since then I have been on a stall. Which from all I can tell on this forum is normal.

My PCP recommended WLS. Initially, I started on the lap band track. Ultimately I ended up getting the sleeve. So far I am pleased with the whole process. I have dropped about 32 pounds since meeting my surgeon.

I agree with Mrs.RRn - you need to study up on the surgery, the diets, the doctors, aftercare, and aspect you can... Only you can decide whether or not this is the route for you! Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Hello Terri07

I was sleeved on Tuesday Jan 7th came home from the hospital today. So far I have no regrets and no pain at all. But I'm definitely hungry lol so to subside my hunger I am drinking lots of fluids. And trying to do others things to keep me distracted from thinking about being Hungary. I do believe having this surgery will definitely help you with acid reflux. So far within the last 12 days I have lost 13.5 pounds and I'm excited and looking forward to the new me in 2014

Thanks for your feeback, everyone, I appreciate it. Were you pretty nervous about the surgery? Granted, I've had the stomach flu this week, but every time I think of the surgery, I get a bit more sick to my stomach. I truly need to do something and have thought about WLS, it just seems more real now that my doc suggested it and actually gave me a referral to a bariatric surgeon.

For a couple weeks I felt some weakness. But that went away. I have more energy than ever now. I exercise quite a bit (mainly running). It's fabulous.

Unfortunately the surgery did not help my acid reflux I have to take prilosec daily. Surgery was 11/12/13 I didn't have any problems with surgery after the 1st night other then getting dehydrated. I came home with pain meds and didnt even take them. The surgery has been such a great tool for me and I'm am very happy I did it. I have lost 42lbs post op and 15lbs pre op total 57lbs. Gone down pants sizes from 20 to 16. It is definitely a "journey" though and u need to be prepared mentally for it. So I agree read and research all u can. Good luck

My doc recently suggested I consider sleeve surgery and I'm a bit frightened about it.

I know what you mean, I was scared also. But I did it and I'm so happy that I did I've lost preop weight 266, post op weight 198. I feel so much better. Good Luck Louise

Thank you all for your enouragement and information. I'm so happy for you all and where you're at in your weight loss; I only hope I can be as successful. I've had so much failure in everything else that I've tried, seeing your progress gives me hope.

I'm also wondering what happens when a person hits their goal weight, what happens then? How do you maintain it? Do you still eat very small amounts and take supplements for the rest of your life? Do you increase the quantity you eat and lessen the supplements? I know I could never go back to the way I eat now (quantity, quality, selection, etc.), but I'm trying to get a feel for what it's like when you hit your goal. Have your docs or others shared what to expect?

I also have questions about exercise. When did you start exercising after surgery? Is there some healing time allowed? When you start building muscle (which is heavier than fat), does the weight loss slow down?

I'm nervous about the exercise. I have Fibromyalgia and the pain that it causes my feet and legs prevents me from doing much exercise right now. I'm sure that losing weight will help lessen the pain in my feet and will hopefully make exercising easier.

I had surgery this past Monday and came home Tuesday. I started walking around my neighborhood Wednesday morning, as well as slowing working out on the elliptical. I feel great!

Wow, already? That's great! I'm amazed!

I'm 3.5 weeks out and am still in quite a bit of pain because of the tethering stitch my surgeon does. I walk comfortably but anything else is pushing it. Everyone is different so follow your own pace and listen to your doctor.