Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what's the longest with the band

Apparently Missy has not been talking to the vets on here.. While she may have had issues it's not normal. We have all seen the statistics and reports and the band is not less successful than other weight loss surgeries. I am always sad when someone comes on here with a story about how horrible the band has been for them..I hope Missy resolves her issues and moves on with her life. For me like so many others the band has saved my life and whether it last a day or another 20 years I am going to be forever grateful for having the chance to get my health back.

I'm in my 5th year with the band, had complications (a leaky band) and opted to have it replaced with another band last year. I hit goal in 7 months from my first band placement, have been under goal for most of the last 5 + years except for a couple of months when the band was leaking. I'm back under goal now, got there within weeks of my new band being placed.

The bands placed 10 years ago are also different from the bands placed 5 years ago, and again different from ones placed more recently. Like any new medical innovation, it takes years to learn and improve on it. So the longevity of the bands placed 10 plus years ago shouldn't be compared to the longevity of the ones placed now.

I would keep replacing any band that 'gave out' between now and the end of my life if they were to fail, as long as I could do that. I hope every band I get will last forever, but I'm also prepared if they do not.

I'm in my 5th year with the band, had complications (a leaky band) and opted to have it replaced with another band last year. I hit goal in 7 months from my first band placement, have been under goal for most of the last 5 + years except for a couple of months when the band was leaking. I'm back under goal now, got there within weeks of my new band being placed. The bands placed 10 years ago are also different from the bands placed 5 years ago, and again different from ones placed more recently. Like any new medical innovation, it takes years to learn and improve on it. So the longevity of the bands placed 10 plus years ago shouldn't be compared to the longevity of the ones placed now. I would keep replacing any band that 'gave out' between now and the end of my life if they were to fail, as long as I could do that. I hope every band I get will last forever, but I'm also prepared if they do not.

I having my band replaced on 2/11/14. I was originally banded on 12/22/10. I slipped last summer & although it went back into place, it's not doing what it's supposed to & my surgeon said I can get the Sleeve or get a new band. I lost 102 lbs with the band & know how it works with my body so the band it is.

I have had my band for almost 7 years now and it has changed my life! No issues at this point...lost 110 lbs in 18 months and have maintained within 5 lbs up or down since. The only thing I cannot tolerate is ground beef, I don't know why but it is what it is. My only struggle is getting enough Protein. I haven't found a Protein Drink that I like for everyday consumption. I've tried them all! :)

I'm chiming in on this thread. Great info here. I am over 7 years post op and would surely do it again. Not always easy, and I do get checked once a year, but the band allowed me a much healthier lifestyle. I embrace it (on most days )but no one is perfect.

It allowed me to stop thinking diet and start just living life. Long term progress. Can I just say I feel like I fit in this world better at this size??

re: "Can I just say I feel like I fit in this world better at this size??".....yes.....it's so NICE not being 'the biggest person in the room'.....

Just wondering whe has had the band the longest?

I've had my band for 12 years. Still loving it!

You and jack I think are the veterans over 10 years. I am almost 8 and happy to feel "normal". Whatever that is to is all

I'm 3 years out ... The founder of this forum, Alex, is over 11 years with his original band...

Hi all! I just had my 12 year anniversary with the Inamed 4cc lapband. I was banded in Mexico with Dr Kuri. I was getting fills with him the first 3-4 years but after that found a local surgeon willing to fill Mexico patients. I last went for a fill in 2007 or 08..don't even remember. I had pretty good restriction..better than I ever had from my fills in TJ. I think Dr Kuri's office was being conservative with patients who didn't live close enough for an emergency unfill..I live in Nor Cal but still a good 9 hour drive back.

So since my last fill I have been pretty much at my "goal" weight..staying within a 5lb + or - range. SInce I started riding motorcycles and doing track days, my motivation has been able to fit into my one piece leather track suit that is unforgiving even with a few lbs up.

Today...sigh...when I hit my anniversary in August I thought I really should get this device checked out and luckily Kaiser covers getting a flouroscopy. Had that early September and it showed that the barium would barely get past my band and drain. My esophagus is twice the size it should be. I had to be unfilled the next week. I was unfilled 14 days ago and have managed to put on 16lbs since! I was already up 5lbs so now I am up over 21lbs! I KNOW this is totally my fault. I have been living with it being tighter than it should be for quite awhile. Thinking it was normal that I would have to "relieve" food from myself when I overate. I was overeating the band. It had been so long, I forgot all the rules and just dealt with it. I really had no pain..only would have acid reflux if I ate or drank too late so I learned to stop way before I went to bed. It is not easy to limit yourself to tiny portions when food just taste so darn good and we are conditioned to clean our plate. I followed the rules initially..but just ate more and more..now with consequences. Luckily and thankfully the band is in place. I think Dr Kuri's surturing of the stomach around the band helps prevent slips..Mine would have slipped long ago given how much abuse it has gone through. I had alot of pain the day of the unfill and a few days later...lots of gas pain..not sure if the unfill caused some wierd release of pressure or something but it was not comfy.

I tell people I not only got the band to lose my excess weight (130lbs off total) but more importantly to KEEP IT OFF. This I have done for past 5-6 years that I have lost all my excess weight. I was a slow loser and combined with not so helpful fills initial. I think I had only 2.5cc total in my 4cc band. Dr pulled out 2cc but pretty sure I was filled to 2.5cc..who knows.

Today I am seriously depressed because I am just about out of all my clothes. I don't have multiple sizes of clothes..with staying the same size or two for many years..my wardrobe is limited. I am wanting to cry thinking I need to go buy bigger sizes so I can breathe at work! Sigghh.. I have been soooo careful with what I have been eating..back to bandster portions..counting calories..the dramatic weight gain stopped for a few days..I stayed stable..but this morning it was up again by 1/2lb. Perhaps my few days back at the gym caused it...yeah right!!

I have my follow up appt with the bariatric nurse dietician on Oct 30th.not sure what the plan is from here. Doctor wants my esophagus to heal if possible. I am hoping it does and that I can get SOME fill back..even 1/2. What I miss the most is not having the hunger pains. I hate feeling like a mere mortal with hunger pains and counting calories and being obsssessed with my weight after years of being stable! Sucks!

I really had gone away from forums years ago. Probably typical of most band "veterans" ..life goes on. I really had no clue that so many people have been having problems. Never even knew about the gastric sleeve popping into the market. Now I am scared about all this stuff happening to me!

The band looked well in place..no slips or erosion. The pouch looked ok below my stretched out esophagus..so that is the main concern right now. I am just praying I can stave off this crazy gain..I was shocked to see the scale jump 5lbs overnight..I swear I am not eating or drinking anything to cause that dramatic of a quick gain..seems technically impossible.

I am sitting at work on the verge of tears thinking I am going to have to give in and head to the store and get bigger pants for work because now nothing is fitting without feeling like I cannot breathe or move! I can't wear sweats to work or stretchy pants...sigh...

I always say the band was the best decision I ever made. I have had 12 years(well really half that at full goal) of doing stuff I couldn't have done obese..riding sport bikes is one..I put up with the quirks because I like the way I am..but now..I am scared to go back to where I was.

Praying for the best outcome and I can keep my band, get fill back and get this excess weight off again and go back to my size 8s and 10s!! Mwhhhaaa!!

Wow. Congrats at 12 years. It is hard to believe how fast hunger and weight can return when unfilled I hope you can get a fill soon.

I am at almost 8 years. Staying the same weight. But some days the band will not tolerate much of anything... That is ok due to having not much hunger most days. Protein drink. Sigh. Frustrating other times when I just want a simple salad or chicken breast. And it says no way.

I was almost emptied once when it got super irritated. And boy. It IS different. Took a while before I was able to fill. Gained 13 lbs. but you will persevere. Things will go back to how they have been for years I hope

Keep posting and let us know

I have had my band for over 10 years.