Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2014 - Where have all the "ole-timers" gone?

Just reading and reflecting on how things have gone over the 2 plus years since having my surgery and the people who really influenced, encouraged and offered their story when I was seeking information about the sleeve surgery. I posted, tell me "the good, the bad and the ugly", I read and read. I prayed, I got to really understand that things can go wrong and do with people and this surgery. I never thought it would happen to me, because I follow the directions to the letter, and now maybe that was a fault. I ended up with an abscess that was caused by my JP Drain being left in for 10 days. Now, my doctor gives antibiotics before surgery and only leaves the drain in for a day (last time I saw him). So, folks even though I am posting in the Vets forum, for now I know others are reading this section.

Just curious if we have heard from Irene...LittleMissDiva (aka Diva, and will always be the Diva to me), Tiffikins (first one to help me), Libby aka, Me...Me...Me, (who bravely shared her leak story) or Lissa (aka Melissa, who was featured in the spot light), I know Cheri has been on the boards (hope you and your family are doing well), what about Sleeve of Steel; I know Kim is now a host Feed Your Eye (so cool), PDXman (also featured and always brilliant), Coops (showing dedication can get you there and I have seen her around recently ), umm BlackBerry (remember she had a body building picture)' remember when it was just Avitars on the site, no pictures...(digressed sorry), Sleeve For Me (new name, but always, i mean always recognizing others), Peg in the Woods (made a list of those with complications so you could read about it) and others during the 2011/2012 early time frame? I hope these folks know they forged the way and helped many of us, and even the NEW vets. Folks just know, all your contributions are/were appreciated. For me, I have been on and off this forum. I find when I am active, listening/reading and in some cases helping others, I feel successful, I tend to do better for myself and I sometimes feel I have contributed in a small way.

Make way for the new wave of big contributors, Laura Van (hostess with the mostess), Susan (you have been such a solid staple for the board, certainly a real person), ButtertheBean (host with clear and direct suggestions and advice, you pull no punches)...and more. Seems we have more hosts than before and thank you for your time. I know I have missed many and as soon as I post this, I will think of more, but for now, I am just "remembering", if you have or were offering advice.... Just know you are appreciated!

Thanks for reading this from a professional woman, mom and wife; who, thanks to her sleeve and incredible stories, direction, advice and input from folks like you all on this forum, has changed her outlook in life and the way She can now see herself growing old with her husband and enjoying life.

Make the most of everyday, eat healthy, exercise and make sure the people in your life know how much they mean to you.

Take care.

I will always be ONE HAPPY CAMPER :-)

Edited by Happy Camper

Thanks for posting. I had my surgery on dec 9 and always come to this website everyday for encouragement and now to give others who r newbies some advice that I learned since I have has my sleeve.

Nice shout out to the ol' timers! LOL. I miss those folks as well. I also appreciate the newest generation of vets you mentioned as well for their advice and experience. I'm greatful that they give their time to answer questions (the same ones over and over!) by all the newbies. I also love it when folks come back after an absence like Queen of Crop, etc.

PS- Sleeve of Steel still posts from time to time. Tiffykins and Diva moved over to Facebook.

Wow...I remember some of those folks you mentioned in the first group. Of course...PDXMan was one of the first people that opened my eyes. Littlemissdiva. Sleeve of steel and Cheri too....and Feedyoureye all still around. A couple of others that come to mind are Massindex and Rootman. I really followed them in the beginning.

And I wouldn't have remembered blackberry except you mentioned the bodybuilding picture....yes ma'am. I absolutely remember. Wow...amazing physique.

Thanks for a lovely, well-thought out, grateful and articulate post. Although I am not a real old-timer, I owe a lot to this forum and to many of the people you mentioned. I joined in September of 2011 and because of the success stories and inspiration as well as information, I paid the money and less than a month later I had the surgery! I have had no problems and am now over 2 years out. I kept a weekly blog for the first year of my sleeve and I had quite a following so I think I may have helped some of the new ones coming in. I just got back on the boards about a month ago because after being at goal weight for over a year, I stopped paying attention and have gained 6 lbs. I just started the 5:2 this week; something I wouldn't have even known about had it not been for the people on this board who give so much of themselves to help others.....it's nice to know there are always people here who care....feels like a safety net. l

Happy new year to all the veterans and to those who are just beginning this fascinating life-changing journey!

Thanks for a lovely, well-thought out, grateful and articulate post. Although I am not a real old-timer, I owe a lot to this forum and to many of the people you mentioned. I joined in September of 2011 and because of the success stories and inspiration as well as information, I paid the money and less than a month later I had the surgery! I have had no problems and am now over 2 years out. I kept a weekly blog for the first year of my sleeve and I had quite a following so I think I may have helped some of the new ones coming in. I just got back on the boards about a month ago because after being at goal weight for over a year, I stopped paying attention and have gained 6 lbs. I just started the 5:2 this week; something I wouldn't have even known about had it not been for the people on this board who give so much of themselves to help others.....it's nice to know there are always people here who care....feels like a safety net. l

Happy new year to all the veterans and to those who are just beginning this fascinating life-changing journey!

Queen,

You absolutely have helped many. I did read a few of your experiences while you were traveling. You described your journey so completely and openly for folks to close their eyes and imagine. Just so amazing that you could lose weight in different places and take the time to write about it. Beautiful pictures too. Glad to see you are back, I also just started the 5:2 and fully agree without Kim, Georgia (who is also an incredibly positive and helpful host, love her smiling pic), and Laura V's input I really would not know about it. The weight can sneak back, glad you caught it at 6, I let it go to 20 and I am paying for it because it feels like before the sleeve. Another helpful long timer is Oregon Daisy, still on the board and sharing experiences ..I know I will recall more.

Take care of you!

Hello Happy!

Oh yeah, I still darken the doors here. Everyone you mentioned has been integral to my success, too. As you may remember, I am also an active member of AA and I try to use their tenants here, too. Step 12 summarized as trying to carry my message to others. That is why I try to stay around. As in that program, when I share my experience, strength and hope, I am constantly reminded of where I came from and where I can so easily go back if I do not follow the suggested guidelines. Also, when I listen the struggles of those early in the program, whether it is AA or VSG, I am reminded of my own struggles. I do believe you only get what you give.

The last I remember of Blackberry, she had dumped her fiance and was on a mission to be getting some. As was pointed out, Diva went to FB after a stint on MFP. I miss Lissa, too. She and I connected as her surgery date was right around mine. I do not know where she is now, but HERE is one of her last posts.

Good to see you around and look forward to hear how you have been doing.

I'm three years out next month, can't believe how time flies! The VST forum has always been my favorite... :-)

Also love QoC's blog! Tiffykins is on FB and is doing great -- she had two kids back to back and now is all wee again and back in her little clothes. She's good!

Thanks for giving back, y'all. You're my daily dose of 'do something right today'.

Jay

My surgery was Dec 2011 and Tiffikins in particular was someone who really helped me get prepared to take this on! I think she moved on once she started having babies ... i like to think she is living a nice normal life. To some extent, I tried to pick up the band to sleeve revision torch she carried. She really shed light on the whole topic for me... that it was worth trying AGAIN after my epic fail with the band.

Tiffy is doing really well. Her husband is in the Airforce so they just moved from Florida to Tennesee. She has her own face book support group for sleevers and so does Diva. Tiffy had a baby and got pregnant immediately, so she has a 13 yr old son, and 2 year old daughter and her son just turned 1.

She is just thrilled to finally lose her baby weight.

Edited by Oregondaisy

Well.. I am an old timer, just not an old timer vet. Does that count ;)

I am curious why Tiffy and LilMissDiva moved over to Facebook...

I guess they wanted their own group where they could be administrators.

I am a member of both groups but rarely post. There are plenty of other people around on there now that can answer newbie questions.

Edited by Oregondaisy

A note from an "old timer" who rarely posts here anymore. I miss the old days before points where old timers could state truth as truth, if you didn't like it, you had to only present facts against facts. Don't miss the posters who would advertise for thier surgeon with thin lies. Argh, the misinformation became too much for me.

Sleeved is Sept 2010. Read Oregon Daisy - a shout out to her, Coops, Miss Diva & Tiffykins posts like a bible. Would read them once, twice, a million times until I could almost quote them. I can't begin to express as nicely as Happy Camper how much wonderful direction these vets have had in my life. Hopefully I have in return encouraged a few newbies too - mostly I PM'd.

Still have several of Tiffykins posts saved in PDF which are reread when I wonder why extra lbs are on my mid section. We are friends on Facebook. Diva had a bad experience and moved on. Like most of us, life continues and the sleeve is no longer new friend but an old friend who we know without much conversation needed.

Any success I have achieved is due to VST veterans. Hugs to all my new and old vet friends.

I love my sleeve and have no regrets - iegal