Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you miss soda?

This may have been discussed before, but I've discovered the soda stream syrups. I bought my family a soda stream for Christmas, and was sad because I can no longer drink soda. But I realized that I can mix the diet coke Syrup in the Water without carbonating it and it's good! Just like flat soda, which I've never minded anyway :-) So, even if you don't want the machine you can buy the syrup and the bottles and mix up some yummy, flat, diet soda :-)

My problem is that I love my soda stream for just carbonated Water. Flat water is hard for me to drink.

I do love the soda stream though. The flavors are really good. I love the Dr. Pete.

i did for the first days of my pre op and once i (detoxed), i was fine

i no longer cared about it or yearned for it....now i do miss coors light however..but my dr said no carbonation, so none it is.......

Edited by ☠carolinagirl☠

I miss a diet sunkist now and again (think it might be more the orange flavor than the bubbles)...lol

I havent had one since my pre-op and my doc says its a NO-NO....so a no go it is, and will continue to be, for me!

I missed soda in the beginning but not now. I don't miss being 400+lbs a whole lot more.

I gave up soda years before being banded...for all kinds of reasons I'll not get into here now, other than to say there is not much there that is good for you....

There is a local place that bottles their own...all natural...I love the Black Cherry and get a 4 pack every weekend....

I'm not afraid of beer either....but when I do, I NEVER eat food hours before, during or after....if I have a beer or 2 at a ball game, party or back yard barbecue......I'm not eating anything!

One of those lessons I learned the hard way......

I gave up all carbonation on the day of my lapband surgery. I knew I'd miss fizzy Water, so I had loads of it up until my surgery date. (Not that that was helpful---like sleep and expectant parents, you can't "stock up" on stuff you are about to give up.)

I don't miss it unless I see it. For example, going out to a meal and someone at my table orders a Diet Coke...then I miss that association of Diet Coke + my lunch.

I abandoned any kind of soda decades ago as there is absolutely nothing of benefit in any of them. They are all proucts fabricated to cultivate the desire to consume more of whatever it is.

I did miss the carbonated mineral waters for a few years postBand . Eventually I found enjoyment in occasional can of LaCroix.

While I spent decades as beer and soda drinker, by 1988 I had to leave that out of my life due to a variety of health issues.

I sometimes miss Diet Coke. I had a little addiction to it, but i quit during my pre- op phase. There have been times that I craved it, but no carbonation - so I don't do it.

5 months I had two sips of coke zero and paid for it. It was very painful and made me realize I will never drink carbonation again.

Edited by beme999

My aftercare team have told me fizzy drinks are fine so long as they are sipped and I can tolerate them? I find that I can drink fizzy ok? Reading these posts I'm now wondering if I should give them up!? I'm in the UK and I'm only 2months banded xx

My aftercare team have told me fizzy drinks are fine so long as they are sipped and I can tolerate them? I find that I can drink fizzy ok? Reading these posts I'm now wondering if I should give them up!? I'm in the UK and I'm only 2months banded xx

hey claire - i'd follow whatever your doctor/nutritionist told you. this is one of those areas that generates a broad mix of advice. my team told me an occasional carbonated drink was fine - i've had a few sodas and a few glasses of champagne since surgery - haven't had any issues. but if your doc advises against having any, i'd follow whatever she/he says.

I was banded in December, 2012 and I have had absolutely no issues with carbonated beverages. I usually drink it so slow it goes flat anyway. The only issue I have had on the no no list is aspirin. I have arthritis and aspirin always help me and I never have taken more than 4 aspirin in a 24 hr period but I've heard my band can erode and that scares me so I'm learning to live with the arthritis but I do have an occasional diet cola. So if your doctor and/or nutritionist is OK with it go for it.

First and foremost....Listen and follow your Dr.'s directions, advice...most important of all....

Having said that disclaimer....

I'm having a "Samuel Adams Winter Lager" as I am reading these posts....it's friday, been a long, hard week....

and My Dr. knows I do....

Edited by B-52