Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Joining Weight Watchers after Gastric Sleeve surgery.

I had surgery on Nov 19th. The weight just fell off during the first 4 weeks because I wasn't hungry at all. As soon as I hit 4 weeks, my appetite and cravings came back. I'm 7 weeks out tomorrow and I haven't lost anything in 2 weeks. I am tracking my food on sparkpeople and I am not eating over 1100 calories a day. I'm not exercising as much as I should and that could be part of the problem. I got a 50% offer off the monthly pass for 6 months from WW. So, I'm thinking of joining for the accountability, meetings and honestly, I'd love to attain lifetime status considering how many times in the past Ive joined WW. What do you all think?

It may be a good idea. I've done WW about four times myself so I share your sentiment. Towards the end, I struggled to stay within my points, which is why I always fell off the wagon lol. Another option you may want to consider is joining over eaters anonymous, if a group setting is what you're seeking. I have read other posters on here discuss their positive experiences with the group.

You may find that there is too much food on WW to eat now....But to me whatever works is doable!!!!!!!!!

Check with your Surgeon's office. Maybe there is a support group for WLS patients in your area. I went to one a few months back just to check it out before my surgery. ( I ended up being the only guy there) Just a thought.

Have you tried tracking your daily intake at MyFitnessPal? The app is great, every food in the world is on there and you will be able to identify if its your diet that needs tweaked, or if your body has simply hit a plateau. Be patient, but in my opinion WW probably would not be applicable for our little belly.

Yes, too much food on WWs and your experiences are going to be too much different IMO for others to relate to. I know our WWs meetings are not at all supportive of WLS unless someone is trying to lose regain and they routinely spoke out against it.

But if it's the structure you need, you know your body best! :)

I wouldn't tell anyone that I had WLS. I think I am going to do it. I will let you know how it goes.

Yes, too much food on WWs and your experiences are going to be too much different IMO for others to relate to. I know our WWs meetings are not at all supportive of WLS unless someone is trying to lose regain and they routinely spoke out against it.

But if it's the structure you need, you know your body best! :)

I agree with the praises for MyFitnessPal. I found it hard to track my Protein before I stRted using it. I also find it keeps me closer to my desired daily calories because I can see the impact of each food choice I make. Over time I have let go more of the higher calerie/lower protein foods that I used to love.

I haven't been able to figure out how to use myfitnesspal.

I haven't figured out how to use my fitness pal

Considering how newly sleeved you are I think you should definitely wait. Most of us lose a lot the first few weeks, then it slows down considerably for a while then it tends to even out again. Also, at only 7 weeks out 1100 calories sounds like ALOT. You should talk to your nutritionist. I can see doing well after a year or more out but certainly not this early. It's a totally different type of plan and having done ww and having had wls I just don't see how the two could mesh healthily in the beginning. Also keeping it from your surgeon and from ww is your first inclination that you're doing something you shouldn't. Good luck

Do you have physical limitations that prevent you from exercise? If not, why aren't you exercising? Have you tried curtailing the calories back from almost 1100? I am almost 7 months out and I eat usually less than that.

IMO, Weight Watchers is at best, a terrible diet for obese people, and at worst, a diet designed specifically to keep people "on the plan" and not to lose the weight they need to. Why? They are a for-profit company - that's why! I personally would only reserve it for maintenance but wouldn't follow the daily carb allowance. It allows you too many carbs, truly. The effective tool for rapid weight loss is ketosis, and you'll never achieve that on WW. Expect a loss in the wallet, but not much on the scale. If it worked so well for all of us then why did we end up getting surgery? If I were you I wouldn't give up on your nutritionist's plan yet. Go back to your surgery center and explain your issues.

Edited by BKLYNgal87

I joined to have a place to weigh in weekly. No way do I plan on telling them I had WLS.

To the OP: I am a life time Weight Watcher member. I go to the meetings on occasion because I enjoy the information shared, stories and tips. I DO NOT follow their eating plan actually I have NEVER done the points program as I think it is senseless. I have always followed the VSG plan(protein, veggie, little carb). What I really like is getting the sticker in my book that reads such a low weight...............one that I never reached at W.W. They also do not need to know that I had WLS.

Edited by Amazon13

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 3 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

3. NickelChip

I think it's important to remember that the weight charts and BMI ranges were developed a very long time ago and only intended to be applied to people who have never been overweight or obese. Those numbers aren't for us. When you are larger, especially for a long time, your body develops extra bone to support the weight. Your organs get a little bigger to handle the extra mass. Your entire infrastructure increases so you can support and function with the extra weight. That doesn't all go away just because you burn off the excess fat. If you still had a pair of jeans from your skinniest point in life and then lost weight to get to the exact number on the scale you were when those jeans fit you, chances are they would be a little baggy now because you would actually be thinner than you were, even though the scale and the BMI chart disagree. When in doubt, listen to the jeans, not the scale!

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches