Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thoughts and concerns about the preop diet

T-4 days!!!! I must have a burst of energy because I'm home making homemade broths/soups...using some veggies, beef bones, chicken scraps, to make veg/chicken/ beef broths & butternut squash soup). Putting them in plastic containers & freezing them so I'll have plenty on hand..doing this for 2 reasons the store bought ones have too much sodium &I dont want to retain Water during post op as it can hinder my body's ability to hydrate and create variances in weighing in. And also because I don't want to have to worry about my food choices for the full liquid part of my diet which lasts for 30 days. I feel like June Cleaver! Lol

Edited by A_ReNUDE_me

T-4 days!!!! I must have a burst of energy because I'm home making homemade broths/soups...using some veggies, beef bones, chicken scraps, to make veg/chicken/ beef broths & butternut squash soup). Putting them in plastic containers & freezing them so I'll have plenty on hand..doing this for 2 reasons the store bought ones have too much sodium &I dont want to retain Water during post op as it can hinder my body's ability to hydrate and create variances in weighing in. And also because I don't want to have to worry about my food choices for the full liquid part of my diet which lasts for 30 days. I feel like June Cleaver! Lol

Just love your attitude and energy! I need to get on it and cook up some Soups myself for ther road to recovery!! I agree the store bought broth has to much salt, and hidden salt and soy too.

Thanks rensterness and finally on my way. I am just having such a hard time emotionally, one thing goes right and five go wrong. I just went thru a bad break up and now I'm wondering who will be here for me if I do this on the 27th

Thanks rensterness and finally on my way. I am just having such a hard time emotionally, one thing goes right and five go wrong. I just went thru a bad break up and now I'm wondering who will be here for me if I do this on the 27th

stephg- I know exactly how you feel about the relationship issues..I am going through a rough time to but I have looked at it as the most positive thing that has happened to me. If I can rid myself of any toxic thing or person before my surgery it will only help me focus on myself. I have used this pain & struggle to see how I have accepted less than I deserve from relationships because I in all honesty have not loved myself for a long time due partially to my size. It's finally my time to focus on ME to get back to loving myself so I can open up my life space for the love I deserve! My hope is that you turn this negative into a great positive for YOU and your future! God Bless & best wishes

I love your outlook and that is very comforting to know. I am just a wreck right now.

So sorry to hear that. You know what is crazy, I had a few really hard things happen in my life just before my surgery. I had felt like this tool, the surgery as hard as it was to come to terms with.. Was a huge blessing for me. Finally I was on the correct path!

The caos that occured just ahead of my surgey made me feel like everything was trying to stop it. Stand in the way of this blessing. As hard as it was I stayed determined. I am not selfish. I never put myself first but this time it was about me. I was not going to let anyone take it from me.

You do need support. Keep in mind that you do not need poisonous people around you. It would only hender your recovery.

I hope you have family and friends around that you can reach out to. If you are like me, it can be so hard to ask for help but now at this time you need it and deserve it!

I wish you all the best, I really do!

Make yourself a priority now and let any negative in your life fall away.

Hang in there & let us know how you are doing ;o)

stephg- I know exactly how you feel about the relationship issues..I am going through a rough time to but I have looked at it as the most positive thing that has happened to me. If I can rid myself of any toxic thing or person before my surgery it will only help me focus on myself. I have used this pain & struggle to see how I have accepted less than I deserve from relationships because I in all honesty have not loved myself for a long time due partially to my size. It's finally my time to focus on ME to get back to loving myself so I can open up my life space for the love I deserve! My hope is that you turn this negative into a great positive for YOU and your future! God Bless & best wishes

I really love your outlook and totally agree with you 100%. I think alot of us have sold our selves short because of how we feel about our selves. Not truely valueing our selves & seeing our self with a very scued view. Weight does so much damage in so many ways. I have learned so much through this process. Things came up & out of me that I never gave any thought to before. Almost like you have to go through the crud of past and present to walk into this fully ready and healthy. To maximize this tool. Other wise the crud can ruin the full opportunity this gift and blessing has to offer. It was hard, really hard at times but also very healing. Will only benefit my future that I have dealt with this stuff head on.

A ReNUDE me ... YOU GO GIRL!

Thank you so much for the support. I am tryin to find the positive and I know its just the devils way of tryin to stop me again, but I'm stronger than that!!!

I keep telling myself food is not a problem for me, that I'm overweight because I have a back injury but in reality my portion sizes at dinner are too big, I do try to eat a healthy Breakfast & lunch but a chocolate bar or crisps will somehow find a way into my hands, I think maybe a good way to prepare yourself is to decide to cut out a certain food every week or every couple of days if ur near to having op, write them down and tick off what you are going to stop that day/week

I'm not sure if it helps but try to keep busy aswell so you don't go reaching for food or thinking about it, put a photo of yourself on the fridge and tell yourself you don't want the food, have a drink of Water or juice to fill you up instead, I hope my advice helps even a little, 2014 is our year, food does not control us ;)

Good luck xx

Well, my 2 week preop diet starts tomorrow. It's pretty strict, with 5 shakes a day, sugar free beverages, sugar free Jello and sugar free ice pops only. And no caffeine (although I'm allowed to drink 1 cup of Decaf coffee or tea per day.) My surgeon wants me to lose at least 10 pounds. I'm terrified.

I'm terrified because I don't deal with hunger very well. If I did, I wouldn't have ballooned up to 270 pounds. I'm also terrified because for the first time in my life I will have to get a divorce from binging and compulsive overeating. The head hunger is going to be overwhelming.

My surgeon told me that in her experience patients who comply with the preop diet have a higher degree of success post-surgery. And I have no intention of cheating. I don't want to wake up from the OR without a sleeve because my liver was too big for the surgery.

I'm trying to maintain a positive attitude--knowing that I'll feel so much better as the weight comes off. And I'm seeing this as my chance to FINALLY leave the self-destructive behaviors behind.

I know that some of you may suggest that I start therapy to deal with these feelings and compulsions. I haven't made that decision yet. I have attempted therapy several times in the past and I've never been able to find someone who was a good fit. My experience over the next 2 weeks will go a long way in my determining whether therapy is an option for me or not.

A part of me is so damn tired of it all--the eating has gotten so out of control. And I have put on 10 pounds in the last month thanks to all of my last meals and food funerals. This madness has to stop. But I am going to miss food so much.

Like I said, I have no intention of cheating. But I'm still terrified.

Im on day 7 of my preop surgery is 1/13/14...the 1st day I cheated and sent my bariatric coordinator a email telling her I had cheated. My fear was they would cancel my surgery. She had my surgeon respond to my email because I was so freaked out. He assured me a cheat or two would not stop my surgery. He advised me it is advisable to lose some weight preop to remove some of the adipose fat around the liver and in abdominal cavity as it has to be held out of place by a surgical assistant during my procedure. He encouraged me to get out of the house during times I felt like I was not in control of my eating to go for a walk or take a drive. He told me that behavior modifications will be necessary for the rest of my life so I need this opportunity preop to start making the transition. They understand that if we could all follow the strict guidelines of a diet we would not be eligible candidates for WLS. Take a deep breath and take it one day at a time. Btw... Best of luck.

The response from your doctor just might be the most heartening thing I have read on the forum. I cheated today, been on the pre-op since Monday, and have surgery in 9 days (6-16). I planned ahead and brought a couple of premixed shakes, when I got to the meeting I put the shakes in the freezer to get cold. When we were done meeting, I grabbed the shakes and my mom wanted to go to Olive Garden. I sat there, thinking of the nasty shake (I realy can't stand the pre-made shakes) and made a choice to go eat lunch with mom. I had bread and cheese.

I'm back on rack now, and I'm realy glad that i haven't ruined my chances of surgery. I am committed to do better from now on.

hang in there everyone! i know this is an older thread but reading it helped a LOT as i start my 2 wk pre-op tomorrow. 4 Protein Shakes daily, and then 6 very specific servings of any combo of the following: SG yogurt, Jello, pudding, cottage cheese. Unlimited raw veggies, broth, SG popcicles and Water.< /p>

i know i have it much easier than most, being allowed to have some 'real food'. so i'm not complaining, just scared. going from probably 2800 cals a day to that. wow. i am already planning out my work breaks so that i am not around others when they are eating. it's got to be my strategy since my department has quite luxurious lunches almost every day this week!

After reading your post I felt the need to share my experience, Today makes Liquid day 9, if I can do it so can you, I am 23 pounds lighter! Yes, can you believe it? I too gained between given my surgery day and liquid diet start date. Luckily I only gained 2 pounds, but I lost those 2 plus 21, I have 5 days left to go as Surgery day is Friday the 10th, I must admit I am scared shitless, however, I am to the point where im leaving my fate with God.

I wish you all the success, after day 3 it becomes much easier. Stay focused and please update us with your progress.

Best

Lupe

Congrats and good luck to everyone I'm on day 7 and have lost 16pds and I cheat one time with a salad.. GOD GOT ME I MAFE IT THIS FAR SND WE CAN ALL DO IT GOOD LUCK