Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thoughts and concerns about the preop diet

Well, my 2 week preop diet starts tomorrow. It's pretty strict, with 5 shakes a day, sugar free beverages, sugar free Jello and sugar free ice pops only. And no caffeine (although I'm allowed to drink 1 cup of Decaf coffee or tea per day.) My surgeon wants me to lose at least 10 pounds. I'm terrified.

I'm terrified because I don't deal with hunger very well. If I did, I wouldn't have ballooned up to 270 pounds. I'm also terrified because for the first time in my life I will have to get a divorce from binging and compulsive overeating. The head hunger is going to be overwhelming.

My surgeon told me that in her experience patients who comply with the preop diet have a higher degree of success post-surgery. And I have no intention of cheating. I don't want to wake up from the OR without a sleeve because my liver was too big for the surgery.

I'm trying to maintain a positive attitude--knowing that I'll feel so much better as the weight comes off. And I'm seeing this as my chance to FINALLY leave the self-destructive behaviors behind.

I know that some of you may suggest that I start therapy to deal with these feelings and compulsions. I haven't made that decision yet. I have attempted therapy several times in the past and I've never been able to find someone who was a good fit. My experience over the next 2 weeks will go a long way in my determining whether therapy is an option for me or not.

A part of me is so damn tired of it all--the eating has gotten so out of control. And I have put on 10 pounds in the last month thanks to all of my last meals and food funerals. This madness has to stop. But I am going to miss food so much.

Like I said, I have no intention of cheating. But I'm still terrified.

Take some time to get your mind right with this because for me it is 90% mental. You're starting a journey that is going to change your life forever. The liquid diet is the hardest, especially with your full stomach but keep reminding yourself that #1. 2014 is YOUR year and #2. that you're doing this to reclaim your health and mend the disconnect you have with your body and with food.

Good luck.

I was terrified, too. And I gained some weight before the fast from food funerals and this will be the last time ever...

As endless80 says this is your year. Just go for it and fears be damned. Deal with day by day, minute by minute what comes comes up day by day and minute by minute. You can do this.

And yes, this is for your life! Death was around the corner for me, maybe for you, too. Life is what we are fighting for. La Chaim!

Remember... You are not alone.

Be at peace.

It's going to be tough, and it's good that you recognize that. But truly, this journey is WAY more mental than physical. I started reading "the Emotional First Aid Kit-a Guide to Life After Bariatric Surgery" right before surgery and it has been helpful in getting my head in the right place and preparing myself for the challenges that I will face. Maybe something like that could help you.

But definitely know that you WILL be hungry on your preop. You WILL miss and be tempted by everything. You might feel weak and/or have headaches. But also know you have to buck up and DO it. It's only two weeks out of the rest of your life. Not a lot of time in the big picture. Yes, you could cheat and probably do fine with the actual surgery (lots of people do). But I did not cheat even a little bit and by the time I had surgery, I was very proud of myself and it has given me confidence to succeed as I progress through my postop stages.

Good Luck.

I was terrified too! I gained 7 lbs between being told of my date and having my 2nd to last Dr visit. I was told I had to lose those 7 lbs BEFORE my last visit (2 weeks) or he wouldn't do the surgery. THAT scared me more! I CHANGED what I was eating! I LOST the weight during the CHRISTMAS holiday! I stopped ALL caffeine! I switched to healthier foods, I ATE salads instead of fries and I STOPPED eating fast food! I started the "no liquids 30 mins before and after a meal" rule. I counted my chews and made sure I was pulverising everything!

The fear of NOT being able to get this done. OF not being able to stop the downhill spiral I was going changed that!

I am now day 5 of the liquid diet and ICE cubes helps with the chewing withdrawals.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

Good luck!

The pre-op diet is ruff. YOU CAN DO IT! Just stay focused on the future. It will be so worth it.

I to had my "last meals" but I now (10 days post op) realize it was not my last of enjoyable things.

I really mixed it up hot to cold and that was helpful . I also got some of the Isopure clear Protein drinks, 40grams of Protein and that seemed to help the crash tired feelings. I have never been a fan of Jello, but in the pre-op diet it made me feel like I was eating a solid, as well as ice. My surgery was 12/26 so staying busy the days ahead of my surgery helped keep my mind off of eating. I fortunately only had to do 3 days of Clear Liquids.The hunger is so much better post-op.

Hang in there and I wish you all the best. Have some fun with family and friends to keep your mind off of it as much as possible. I am trying to get it in my head that food is not my friend and outlet but to nourish my body and occasionally enjoy a extra yummy bite :P

14 days of Protein shakes to help with the rest of your life. You can do this! We've all been there.

My best advise is stay away from food. If I ran into a tempting situation, like coworkers eating my favorite food one day (the bosses ordered in), I just took my break and excused myself when their food arrived so I wouldn't have to just sit there & smell it.

Mix up your Protein drinks in a blender with ice and tell yourself it's a milkshake ;) Just say it til you believe it!

And then... boom! Surgery day will be here & you will know you have done your part!

I only have 1 day of Clear Liquids to get through, and I feel lucky about that, but I have been on Protein shakes only for four days now...I am so afraid of being over my goal weight tomorrow when I go in for my final drs visit! She said under no circumstances would she do the surgery if I was even 0.5 lbs over. I think I am ok weight-wise now but still nervous. Surgery is less than three days away. Definitely getting tired more easily and I'm very cold all the time (our current arctic temps aren't helping!!). Am in the middle of the Emotional First Aid Kit book and it is helping also. Just keep reminding yourself that no excuse is a good enough excuse to break your diet. Also, because I am a super dooper convenience eater, my cabinets are empty of anything but Protein Shakes and bars and sugar free stuff. I haven't gotten used to driving by the fast food places when I'm hungry, but I DO drive by them and I know I will get used to it. Lately I've had to stop watching tv because the food commercials make me nuts lol. I will have to ban the Food Network from the house entirely for a long while.

Just remember that there is a reason you want to do this surgery. It's not a fix-all solution, it won't ultimately stop you from craving and eating bad foods, it is an assistant and not a crutch. The surgery does not fix your brain. Think about why you want to lose weight. Remember that the devil on your shoulder (or the voice in your head) is not always right. You won't die from not eating your candy/cake/ice cream/chips/cookies today, tomorrow, or any other day. But you WILL die if you keep eating them. Tell the voice in your head that wants to eat that stuff to shut the hell up :) you are stronger and wiser than the devil on your shoulder, and you can do this!

Well, my 2 week preop diet starts tomorrow. It's pretty strict, with 5 shakes a day, sugar free beverages, sugar free Jello and sugar free ice pops only. And no caffeine (although I'm allowed to drink 1 cup of Decaf coffee or tea per day.) My surgeon wants me to lose at least 10 pounds. I'm terrified.

I'm terrified because I don't deal with hunger very well. If I did, I wouldn't have ballooned up to 270 pounds. I'm also terrified because for the first time in my life I will have to get a divorce from binging and compulsive overeating. The head hunger is going to be overwhelming.

My surgeon told me that in her experience patients who comply with the preop diet have a higher degree of success post-surgery. And I have no intention of cheating. I don't want to wake up from the OR without a sleeve because my liver was too big for the surgery.

I'm trying to maintain a positive attitude--knowing that I'll feel so much better as the weight comes off. And I'm seeing this as my chance to FINALLY leave the self-destructive behaviors behind.

I know that some of you may suggest that I start therapy to deal with these feelings and compulsions. I haven't made that decision yet. I have attempted therapy several times in the past and I've never been able to find someone who was a good fit. My experience over the next 2 weeks will go a long way in my determining whether therapy is an option for me or not.

A part of me is so damn tired of it all--the eating has gotten so out of control. And I have put on 10 pounds in the last month thanks to all of my last meals and food funerals. This madness has to stop. But I am going to miss food so much.

Like I said, I have no intention of cheating. But I'm still terrified.

Im on day 7 of my preop surgery is 1/13/14...the 1st day I cheated and sent my bariatric coordinator a email telling her I had cheated. My fear was they would cancel my surgery. She had my surgeon respond to my email because I was so freaked out. He assured me a cheat or two would not stop my surgery. He advised me it is advisable to lose some weight preop to remove some of the adipose fat around the liver and in abdominal cavity as it has to be held out of place by a surgical assistant during my procedure. He encouraged me to get out of the house during times I felt like I was not in control of my eating to go for a walk or take a drive. He told me that behavior modifications will be necessary for the rest of my life so I need this opportunity preop to start making the transition. They understand that if we could all follow the strict guidelines of a diet we would not be eligible candidates for WLS. Take a deep breath and take it one day at a time. Btw... Best of luck.

After reading your post I felt the need to share my experience, Today makes liquid day 9, if I can do it so can you, I am 23 pounds lighter! Yes, can you believe it? I too gained between given my surgery day and liquid diet start date. Luckily I only gained 2 pounds, but I lost those 2 plus 21, I have 5 days left to go as Surgery day is Friday the 10th, I must admit I am scared shitless, however, I am to the point where im leaving my fate with God.

I wish you all the success, after day 3 it becomes much easier. Stay focused and please update us with your progress.

Best

Lupe

Just got my date today and I start prep wednesday. We are in the same boat with the fear thing. I just keep focusing on why I am doing this and recognizing that God has big plans for me. We will do this.

I started my liquid diet this past Saturday. I can only have 3 shakes a day. I am already getting nauseated by the smell of Swanson chicken broth. Thank goodness for pop cycles and Crystal Lite. Noticing just a bit of memory/confusion issue. Nervous about this surgery though. I had lost 14 lbs since my initial intake appointment and 8 since Saturday! Surgery date is the 14th! Wishing this week would fly by!!

My surgery is coming soon, Jan. 15th! I am so excited and scared! It is hard to go to work and just have liquids and no caffeine! I have to take just 1 day at a time!

First of all, my heartfelt thanks to all of you. I'm touched.

The first day of my diet is almost over, and I'm pleasantly surprised at how well things went. I haven't been hungry at all and surprisingly enough have had no desire to compulsively overeat. It's like all that Protein turns off a switch in your brain. I don't know what it is, but I like it!

I had a scary experience after my workout today where I started getting lightheaded and trembly. My trainer suggested that I go home and eat something. I stopped at my surgeon's office on the way home and she told me that it was OK for me to eat veggies and to drink an extra Protein shake. I'm supposed to drink the shake 30 minutes before my workouts.

And in an amazing show of sympathy, my wonderful husband is going to be drinking Protein shakes right along with me! We will do some modifications for him, like adding fruit and milk to the shakes, but he wants to lose weight and support me. What a great guy! :D

So...the net 2 weeks may not be so awful after all!