Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alberta girl question: Why go to Mexico?

Hi all, I'm from southern Alberta and just 4 wks out from VSG. Just wondering why so many are going to Mexico and paying soooo much when this procedure is done here for free?

I just got sleeved in Mexico a couple of days ago. I went through all of the pre op work for getting surgery approved in Alberta and with being in Fort McMurray and the centre being based out of Edmonton, this took multiple trips to Edmonton and about a year to get approval for surgery. This is where I was told that it would take another 12-18 months to get scheduled in for surgery. For me, it was a matter of timing. I was getting surgery to lose weight to get pregnant and don't want to wait another 12-18 months. I think that for people in rural places that aren't close to the wls centres, it is a big deal to go back and forth for appointments and spend more overall than you would spend going down to Mexico.

I am in Ontario and as far as I know they are not performing this surgery here. I also wanted a surgeon with lots of experience as I had a revision(my surgeon had performed thousands of surgeries).

Seems strange that Ontario would not be doing this type of surgery. I had mine done in New Brunswick and there is one surgeon here that was doing it in Moncton, and just recently (jan 2013) started doing it in Fredericton. I was on a wait list for about 6 months and I got my call in Jan 2013, but the whole process was delayed due to finding the right NUT to work with me, so my surgery only took place in December 2013.

It is done in Ontario. There are people getting it done. I belong to a support group with folks getting sleeved in Ontario even though I had mine in mexico

I went to Mexico because there is a 6 year wait list in St. John's Newfoundland to get the surgery done. I was able to decide when I wanted to get it done and scheduled it when it was convenient for me.

I won't qualify for AHC paid surgery. My BMI is 35. I want to lose over 60 lbs. to do the surgery here it will cost me over $30,000.00. In Mexico, $4400.00 plus flight. Air miles for just the taxes, $150.00.

I was told in BC the list is 3 to 5 years. I decided to go to Mexico because I didn't want to wait that long.

I'm in BC and the wait is minimum 3-5 years. And the only people getting it between 3-5 years are the extremely obese, lots of related health issues (i.e. heart conditions, diabetes, blood pressure etc). So being that I'm considered a "healthy fat" person, I'd be up over the 5 year wait. I was not willing to wait over 5 years to have it done free, no way. There was also the option here of paying for it privately but it costs $17,000 to 20,000.

Why would I pay that when in Mexico I paid a quarter of that?! Crazy. And when I got back and needed follow up care, I was totally paranoid of telling my family doctor. But she was SUPER supportive and in fact she's vented about her own frustrations with the wait for her other patients and was asking me information about my surgeon in Mexico so she can suggest other patients look into it. LOL!

You are very lucky in Alberta if the wait is only 1-2 years. I may have waited for that. Apparently in NFLD is like a 10 year wait?!

Oh and because I went out of country I can write my surgery and hospital stay off on my tax return :) I'll likely see at least 1/2 of it back.

I'm about to book my surgery in Mexico but still going to the Red Deer info session, I've heard its a 2 year wait here in Alberta which makes me crazy! I am considering a surgery with Dr Joya in Puerto Vallarta, its $6500 including the hotel stay. I have to pay my own flight. Do I want to spend $6500...NO? Do I want to jump through a million hoops and still wait 2 years, NO! Does anyone have any experience with the bariatric sleeve in Mexico?

I'm about to book my surgery in Mexico but still going to the Red Deer info session, I've heard its a 2 year wait here in Alberta which makes me crazy! I am considering a surgery with Dr Joya in Puerto Vallarta, its $6500 including the hotel stay. I have to pay my own flight. Do I want to spend $6500...NO? Do I want to jump through a million hoops and still wait 2 years, NO! Does anyone have any experience with the bariatric sleeve in Mexico?

I went to Mexico but Tijuana. It was an experience and their medical system/standards compared to BC we're interesting to say the least. But that being said I knew that going in and I made sure I researched my surgeon. My surgery went really well and I have had zero side effects. Just go in knowing it won't be the same as an AB hospital but if you chose a good reputable surgeon you'll be in good hands. You only spend 2 days in the hospital anyways. It's a very common surgery down there and a lot of ppl go down there for it.

It all depends where you go in Mexico. Mine was top of the line care and facility and cost me only 5500. I stayed at Recovery House with nurses and it was a licenced facility. You get what you pay for.

I've heard the facility in Puerto Vallarta that Dr Joya runs is beyond clean, like eat off the floor clean. Free Spirit 63 where did you go?