Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alberta girl question: Why go to Mexico?

Hey Tracy I went thru a lighter me feb 25/15 it was 4200 us with dr.curiel you just pay flights ! is was an awesome experience I made a lot of new friends I was 285 n I am now 138 n doing marvellous as are my sleeve sisters n brothers :)

Sorry this is keroki lol

Hi Keroki - what province are you in? Alberta? WLF was recommended by a friend of mine - her doctor recommended it to her. They have high standards and standard of excellence. Apparently higher than any hospital in Canada. I haven't shopped around at all. But I do plan on talking with my GP and seeing what she says about it. I'm curious to know if she has patients that have had the sleeve and if so, where they've had it done. So much info to sift through and decide on!

I had my sleeve done in Toronto. Yes I paid a lot for it but the end result is astonishing. I was not going to wait the 5 yrs plus that they have in Edm. Personally if you are obese, anywhere from 50 pounds plus, this option should be available to you. Good luck to those going thru the surgery. It is a decision that you won't regret!!!

Hi Witches - I'm in Alberta. I only just learned of this procedure about a month ago. I've been thinking I'd like to do it - trust surgery/doctors in Canada more but have heard good things about WLF (Weight Loss Forever) in Tijuana. Big decision! Huge decision …so apprehensive - all emotions, you name it. I can't picture myself flying to Mexico to have a body part partially removed! It;s all so surreal. I haven't moved forward with anything yet but next step is talk to my doc. You said you don't regret it - my biggest fear is regret by far - what if I'm so upset I did this to myself and it's irreversible? I can't seem to get past this. No regret at all? aren't there some?

Hi Keroki - what province are you in? Alberta? WLF was recommended by a friend of mine - her doctor recommended it to her. They have high standards and standard of excellence. Apparently higher than any hospital in Canada. I haven't shopped around at all. But I do plan on talking with my GP and seeing what she says about it. I'm curious to know if she has patients that have had the sleeve and if so, where they've had it done. So much info to sift through and decide on!

I live in bc but live right on the edge of border & flew out of Calgary, I have a friend who had the sleeve in Edmonton it took Aprox 7 months from start to finish for her. I have no regrets check out the page on Facebook a lighter me huge support group :) my pcp is very supportive and we are looking into skin removal surgery

Edited by kerioki

Booked with Smartshape in Toronto Sept 27 of 2016!! Dr. Neil Orzech

Waiting list is toooo long to wait

I left an email message for Smartshape here in Calgary. My only issue is that they do a lot of lapband and although they say the do the sleeve, there was only 1 testimonial from a person who had the sleeve op - all the rest were lapband. I saw some reviews on Smartshape - some good, some bad - but that's often the case with any place. How much were you quoted (for the sleeve?) - I'm hoping they'll tell me without issue, or without going to see them.

Scroll down about 2/3 they have all the prices https://www.obesitysurgery.ca/financing/

I left an email message for Smartshape here in Calgary. My only issue is that they do a lot of lapband and although they say the do the sleeve, there was only 1 testimonial from a person who had the sleeve op - all the rest were lapband. I saw some reviews on Smartshape - some good, some bad - but that's often the case with any place. How much were you quoted (for the sleeve?) - I'm hoping they'll tell me without issue, or without going to see them.

Hi Thinnigan - thanks - I looked and i have seen those prices - but only shows Lapband cost. I did get a message back and it's $19,000. Considerably more than the surgeon in montreal at $13,500.

Scroll down about 2/3 they have all the prices https://www.obesitysurgery.ca/financing/

The wait times or self pay prices here in Alberta are crazy. I've been googling surgeon names from this thread but I'm not sure what websites are reputable. What groups did you guys contact to get surgery done in Mexico?

The wait times or self pay prices here in Alberta are crazy. I've been googling surgeon names from this thread but I'm not sure what websites are reputable. What groups did you guys contact to get surgery done in Mexico?

Hi dawnpop - I'm waiting to hear about my surgeon appt. (Calgary). I've been going through the process since about Sept. I find after all, that the time is much needed, especially for me. I'm still on the fence. Perhaps an interview with the surgeon will make me decide what to do, one way or another. If you get a referral from your doctor and you meet the BMI requirement, you can go through provincial healthcare. Honestly, the wait isn't even as long as it is for knee replacement, etc. Early October 2016 was my first appt. I may see a surgeon in February and surgery could be 6-8 months away. I have no pre-existing/co-morbidities so it could possibly take longer if they need to push other patients up with poor health. So if it does turn out to be 8 months from Feb then it takes me to a 1 year wait from 1st appt. or thereabouts. If you're 100% positive this surgery is for you, and you've done a TON of research, then self-pay may be the way to go for you. That was my initial route. As for places in Mexico - there is a Canadian affiliated clinic there - it used to be WLF (Weight Loss Forever), but I believe they've changed their name. You can google WLF and it should go to the new website. My quoted cost was $13,500, which is the same price as I was quoted from the doctor in Montreal that does it via self-pay. My research turned up nothing in Alberta for self-pay options - other than SmartShape and I think it was considerably more $ and they don't seem to do many VSG surgeries. The Bariatric Clinic, at least in Calgary, no longer performs Lapband surgery as there are too many complications.

Hi dawnpop - I'm waiting to hear about my surgeon appt. (Calgary). I've been going through the process since about Sept. I find after all, that the time is much needed, especially for me. I'm still on the fence. Perhaps an interview with the surgeon will make me decide what to do, one way or another. If you get a referral from your doctor and you meet the BMI requirement, you can go through provincial healthcare. Honestly, the wait isn't even as long as it is for knee replacement, etc. Early October 2016 was my first appt. I may see a surgeon in February and surgery could be 6-8 months away. I have no pre-existing/co-morbidities so it could possibly take longer if they need to push other patients up with poor health. So if it does turn out to be 8 months from Feb then it takes me to a 1 year wait from 1st appt. or thereabouts. If you're 100% positive this surgery is for you, and you've done a TON of research, then self-pay may be the way to go for you. That was my initial route. As for places in Mexico - there is a Canadian affiliated clinic there - it used to be WLF (Weight Loss Forever), but I believe they've changed their name. You can google WLF and it should go to the new website. My quoted cost was $13,500, which is the same price as I was quoted from the doctor in Montreal that does it via self-pay. My research turned up nothing in Alberta for self-pay options - other than SmartShape and I think it was considerably more $ and they don't seem to do many VSG surgeries. The Bariatric Clinic, at least in Calgary, no longer performs Lapband surgery as there are too many complications.

Thanks for the reply, Tracy! Yeah, problem is SmartShape for VSG in Alberta is $19,000 and public wait times seem long especially when I haven't even been referred yet. I went to my doctor in Edmonton last year around Spring and she flat out said no because she felt I haven't tried hard enough to lose weight on my own. I'm too nervous to bring it up with my current doctor here in Bonnyville. I have heard that going publicly in Alberta could be 2-5 years in waiting time so I knew that wouldn't work for me. I have an appointment coming up soon, maybe I'll try to work up the courage to talk to my doctor about it. I just have a lot of fears of being rejected at different stages in the process.

Thanks for the reply, Tracy! Yeah, problem is SmartShape for VSG in Alberta is $19,000 and public wait times seem long especially when I haven't even been referred yet. I went to my doctor in Edmonton last year around Spring and she flat out said no because she felt I haven't tried hard enough to lose weight on my own. I'm too nervous to bring it up with my current doctor here in Bonnyville. I have heard that going publicly in Alberta could be 2-5 years in waiting time so I knew that wouldn't work for me. I have an appointment coming up soon, maybe I'll try to work up the courage to talk to my doctor about it. I just have a lot of fears of being rejected at different stages in the process.

I'm a bit edgy about the surgery still, but as I said the wait turned out to be a good thing for me for many reasons. Although I'll talk to my doctor about everything at some point, other than getting the referral from her, I haven't talked about it yet. Honestly, she doesn't know much and when I mentioned to the psychologist about seeing my GP to discuss it, she warned that very few doctors know much about the surgery. I know mine didn't when I got the referral, but she may have done some reading up by now. You need/want a referral - so make sure the doctor knows how many times you've tried. She/he is missing the point entirely. You may or may not have tried hard enough, but you tried and failed and gained it back no doubt. That's the pattern. Talk to her again and emphasize that you feel you have done a lot of work to lose weight and it isn't working. The AMA just declared obesity a disease - this will make it easier for you :-)