Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thoroughly unscientific poll

My doctor wants me at 120-130. I want 105-110 but I'm 5'1 so I think it's right.

The further into this I get the less I know.

When I was very sick with gallbladder issues 5 years ago and dropped a ton of weight, I was around 174. I was wearing a loose size 14 at that point. The odd thing is that I'm comfortably in a 14 now, 20 pounds heavier. I think in another 5 pounds I will probably be able to wear everything I wore at that lower weight, probably because I'm exercising.

I'm beginning to wrap my head around the idea that a long time ago I settled for what I thought the lowest weight I could be was, and I may have overestimated that by about 20 pounds. When I was in college and active I probably was right around 145-155. Wearing size 10 in some things, size 12 in others. By the time I was out, I was "comfortable" in the 160s and 170s and in a loose 14. I have begun to think that I ought to just keep exercising, and keep following the plan and see where it leads me. The idea that it might be reasonable for me to aim for a size 8 is sort of revolutionary to me. Frankly, I'm surprised that it makes me hesitate and scares me a bit.

All that said, my official goal is to get to a normal BMI, or 149/150, as flawed as that might be. I'm not really sure my doctor has a specific goal for me although we batted around 160 when we were first meeting. But I'm only 5'5". I don't know.

I think the health benefits are realized when I get into the 170s. (The obese to overweight shift.)

This is how I feel too. I am 5'6" and my doctor has my goal weight as 147. I want to be a size 8. I cannot really imagine anything smaller than an 8, so that's my goal.

The smallest I've ever been was a size 10 and I remember thinking that was *just* about perfect for my body frame.

I don't have a number in mind, I have a clothing size in mind. A number on the scale means nothing because as a female, a woman who weighs 200 pounds can wear a 14 as can a woman who weighs 160. I want to be a SIZE, not a weight. Just me, though.

5'4". When I was in my 20's, I was an anorexic 108. My healthiest adult weight was 135 back in 1985. Doc and I agreed that 135 would be a realistic goal for me, although at 62 years old, a little higher would still be ok.

My doctor didn't give me a goal weight. I picked one based on weight and BMI. However, I am not wedded to that number. I am more interested in how I feel as the scale drops.

When you discuss your goal weight do you give the number that your doctor said, or do you give your PERSONAL goal number.

I find that I have higher expectations that my doctor. Like my weight in 2005 when I was most comfortable, healthy, and happy.

You?

I use my personal goal of 140. I felt deflated when I first heard my surgeon's goal for me (btwn 170-160). I thought, that's it? You're going to take 85% of my stomach and that's all I can expect to lose? I hit his goal for me in 6 months and am working towards hitting my personal goal which I revised to be between 135 and 139 so I have a little wiggle room. To come up with my personal goal I used a variety of indicators: BMI, body fat percentage, and height/weight charts.

The nutritionist who works with my doctor suggested 125, and I countered with 135. She agreed that this seemed like a good goal.

I was 135 for about 10 minutes at one point in my life and I felt great and liked how I looked. It just squeaks me into the 'normal' BMI category.

This is where I turn into a silly teenager.....Yep I want "high school skinny"..I know it's horrible....I know I'm too old for that......I know it's not appropriate....it is what it is .....am 5'8 and petite.....Yep 118lbs......I can dream right? If i get to 135-140lbs....i'll live......very happily i might add...lol..

Shelby

I have these jeans I've kept forever. When they fasten and I can squat in them easily......I'm there.

I would say you should count your personal goal. Your doc is tracking his goal for you so you should track you goal for you!!

I personally am a "size goal" kinda girl, I'd like to get back to a size 10-12. I love how I look in a 16 and a even 14 so i'm hoping not to lose too much since i like a bit of weight to throw around.

Either way...good luck

My docs goal for me was 160. I'd like to see 150.

For once, my doctor and I are on the same page. My personal goal (buck nekked in the morning) is 125. My doctor's goal is 127 (in the office with clothes on).

When I was thin before, I was fairly stable at 140 (size 8) but I definitely had another 15 lbs. to lose, which puts me at 125. Hope to see it in 4 more months. I am 5'4 1/2"

Edited by NMJG

I think my Dr. goal is too low for me. I am 5'10" and his goal after being on the body composition scale is 180#, which would put me at 20% body fat. I dropped 170# a few years ago and got down to 215# but did not stay there for long. I really can't remember when I weighed 180, it certainly was in middle school and I am 45 now. My wife will be mad at me if I hit 180 because she is 170#. LOL

My dietician used the body composition scale on me too. At 5'6" she said I have 130lbs of lean mass, so while the BMI chart suggests that 118-154 is ideal, that seems impossible. I think I'm aiming for 160lbs for a body fat percentage of 23%. That's assuming I don't build more muscle mass when I get back in the gym, in which case I will up that number. Or, if my body doesn't let me get to 160, I'll have to adjust. 159 was the lightest I ever got at 18 years old and working out.