Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thoroughly unscientific poll

When you discuss your goal weight do you give the number that your doctor said, or do you give your PERSONAL goal number.

I find that I have higher expectations that my doctor. Like my weight in 2005 when I was most comfortable, healthy, and happy.

You?

I have my personal number which puts me at a BMI of 22. My surgeon's goal for me is a BMI of 27 but I'm only 1.5 BMI points away from that and I certainly don't feel done. I'm in size 12 at 4'11" and while that is heaps better than size 22, it's still pretty large for my height. If I get to a point where I am having to work especially hard to lose more, I hope I will have the self-awareness to realize it and be happy with whatever weight that is.

My doctor never gave me a goal weight. I picked one, based on it being in the normal range. I think I will know when I get there. I hope.

My dr didnt give me one. Thry have an ideal weight in their system. But when I looked last time they consider me at goal in just 45 more pounds.

Not done for me tho...I have a number based on my bmi that my primary dr wants me at.

My doctor wants 160. I want 150. I am 5'7".

I struggle with a goal. I'm tall and carry my weight in the hips, thighs, and butt. I want to look and feel attractive. Healthy. I want to be fit. But will I know it when I reach it?

I struggle with this because I see others who are "never satisfied" when they hit their *goal*. Who want to lose a bit more. Strive for "skinny" which translates into my mind as unhealthy.

A long term side effect of this surgery that doesn't get nearly as much attention as leaks, PE, or bougie size are the eating disorders I believe people on here have developed. And the body dysmorphia I've seen posted.

I struggle with goals because they scare me. I struggle with how I see my body. I struggle with my addiction.

No target set for me.

Personally? As soon as I hit 'normal' at BMI 24.95 or whatever it is - I'll be good.

:D

My doctor didn't give me a goal so I set my own which will put me in a normal bmi.........Which is what mattered to me. :)

I am one of those who doesn't care about a "normal" BMI. There are too many things wrong with that unit of measurement if athletes can be obese without an ounce of body fat on them. Clothing size is the measure for me. :D

I am aiming for 20 lbs shy of my doctor's goal weight. I think 165 at 5'9" is too thin. I'm a butch, and I want a bit more muscle and bulk.

My true goal is based on what I looked like/felt like/wore when I was a certain weight....150#. Of course I was in my 20's so It will surely be a different 150# experience this time around. Nothing to do with BMI, although, ironically, that just drops me into "normal" range. My nut picked 160 for me....maybe she knows something I don't?!?

My true goal is based on what I looked like/felt like/wore when I was a certain weight....150#. Of course I was in my 20's so It will surely be a different 150# experience this time around. Nothing to do with BMI, although, ironically, that just drops me into "normal" range. My nut picked 160 for me....maybe she knows something I don't?!?

How tall are you?

5'5". I guess the other problem with my theory is that I was a raft guide and ski instructor the last time I was 150#, and therefore very muscular. I actually had six pack abs! So the new 150 will look a lot different. But hey, a gal can dream :)