Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone ever gotten 1-3 weeks post up, been on Clear liquid or Full liquid and "cheated" and ate some real solid food?

If so, what did you feel like after??

Yes, and I would say anyone that says they didn't is a liar!! It's all trial and error! Depends on how well u chew with regard how u feel, take it slow and chew chew chew x

Yes. You will find posts like that all the time. It never ends well. It's dangerous, stupid and just foolhardy to do. Is whatever the temptation is worth causing a possible leak? Your stomach is still healing and you can cause major damage to it upto and including death.

Best case, most people reported it hurt like hell and they puked all over the place and generally felt like **** for the next few hours.

If you haven't done it, don't. If you have, don't do it again.

Don't mean to sound preachy but that would just be a dangerous thing to do!

Edited by newat52

Yes, and I would say anyone that says they didn't is a liar!! It's all trial and error! Depends on how well u chew with regard how u feel, take it slow and chew chew chew x

Then call me a liar. I was not even tempted to eat anything that was not on plan. My surgeon had me on liquids for 3 weeks then on to very soft food. Most people follow the plan to the T in the first few months after surgery.

Coach Josh, Are you looking for permission to eat something your surgeon has advised you not to eat? (Taking the word cheat out of the equation since so many people like to blame the word for the problem).

And no, sabredy12, we do not all cheat and I am not a liar. 16 day preop with NO cheats, despite attending a funeral, birthday party and Christmas party. Now 15 days postop with nothing but liquids. I even strain my cream Soups to get out any lumps. Yes, it can be done.

No not looking to cheat. I was just wondering.

I am not a liar either. My doctor required 2 weeks of Optifast prior to surgery, in hospital Clear Liquids only and then finish the remainder of 2 weeks at home on full liquids before starting 6 weeks of mushy foods. I am 4.5 weeks post surgery so waiting 1.5 weeks to start solid food. I have not consumed a single bite of solid food in this process. It was not easy and I wanted to chew on something. but I tried to keep busy with things I enjoy doing.

You can do it!

Im no liar either.

In all, I ended up doing liquids ONLY for 7 full weeks. Never once had a single solid or semi solid.

I jad done enough research to fully understand thst youre only given 1 chance at the honeymoon phase of this surgery. I had 141 to lose then.

I took it seriously. "Cheating" was never in my vocabulary or thoughts. I was also cooking for my family each day..sometimes twice per day, for hubby and my 4 and 6 year old kids. My surgery was serious business. Recovery and my program's set stages were serious business.

Im now 11 weeks post op and I've lost 43% of my starting weight. I still take this serious. Each day. Each moment. Eat time my kids have pizza without me.

If anyone is searching for permission to cheat or whatever you want to call it..my advice is this. See a therapist STAT.

Having this surgery won't do the work for you. You must do the work. For the rest of your life, in a serious way. Not half a$$ed.

I have to say that every Dr. is different. I was on pureed food from post op day 2.

Agreed, every doctor is different. From how they do the surgery, how they close up. What their protocol is post op.

I have glue over my incisions, some have stitches or staples. I heard some have some sort of drain in them. Some are full liquid or even puree food week 1 or 2. I am clear liquid for 7 days, and hopefully Ill get cleared to full liquids on Monday. But I am on that for 2 weeks before going to puree.

Im surprised there are so many differences and different procedures.

Has anyone ever gotten 1-3 weeks post up, been on Clear Liquid or Full Liquid and "cheated" and ate some real solid food? If so, what did you feel like after??

I tried something on the 4th day that I shouldn't have. It didn't make me sick nor did I throw up. I was scared to death after reading about leaks and never would I "cheat" again... It gets easier after the 6th day. I was tempted and I did it. I pray to god that I haven't messed anything up. I feel excellent and no pain BUT do not eat anything you are not supposed too.

I didn't and I'm not a liar. :)

If you have to cheat I would suggest waiting 4-5 months so the healing internally can be complete. Cheating on solids now can have dire consequences.

No, Sabredy12, most of us do not cheat. Post-op "cheating" has much more dire, life-threatening consequences than pre-op "cheating" or cheating on a diet. I absolutely did not cheat. Of course I was tempted at first, but I was scared to death after reading this post from this nurse:

I won't have my sleeve until 12/16 and am 7 days into the liquid pre op diet, so I get it's hard, but...
I have worked as a surgical ICU nurse for almost 2 decades. I know exactly what happens to those who don't follow instructions. I'm sure some get away with it, but I've seen enough patients who ruptured their stomach staple line by eating the wrong things too soon. Once you've watched a 30 year old women fight for her life for months on a ventilator, overwhelming infection, multiple surgeries, only to lose in the end, because she ate half a chicken 1 week out, cheating is not an option. I've personally taken care of a few patients in the same situation, some lived, some didn't but it was a hard road either way. Why risk that? I don't say this to scare anyone away from the procedure. I was scared. Spoke to my surgeon and his experience is the same, he hasn't personally had a complication in his patients unless they were non compliant. It's a relatively safe procedure, and the surgical team does all they can to educate us, but some people just seem to know better or maybe should have never passed the psych. eval.

That's a ridiculous generalization, and for some reason, I find it offensive. I didn't cheat, and I'm not a liar.

To the OP - I would not recommend trying it. It's just not worth it. I felt like I accomplished something, and it gave me the realization that I would be able to succeed.