Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

just want to say hiya

So I just joined the forum today after much lurking :) I have my appointment with the surgeon January 8th and I should secure a date for my surgery at that time. I have weird coverage where I just pay the surgeon's fee up front and the hospitalization is covered 100% (I work at the hospital). Planning on a mid-February date if possible. I originally was set on the RNY but after looking at mortality data, considering my BMI, I am actually strongly considering the SG. I have been moving this direction for at least 2 years now, and I feel this is the right time. I have come off carbonated drinks, stopped drinking with my meals (dear god that was hard!) and I tried to maintain my weight during the holidays (it helped I had to work through the holidays).

I was curious how much time others took off from work post-op. I have a pretty physical job and my boss has been an angel, pretty much giving me, via FMLA, whatever time I need for recovery.

I look forward to moving forward with this journey :)

Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

Howdy and welcome!

I'm happy to hear you're already working to improve your relationship with food and breaking bad habits. :-)

I took off two weeks after my surgery to recover. I work a rather physical job tootoo (i teach 1st grade in a 3 story bldg) so there's a lot of walking to the copy room, library, playground, cafeteria, etc.

The pain hasn't been bad at all, iI just felt weak/tired and needed time to get my energy up and work on getting all my Protein in and just getting used to all my physical changes.

Hiya dragonsmate,

And welcome to BP :)

It sounds like you are well on your way with giving up carbonated drinks and such.

And not gaining weight during the holidays?? That is downright brag worthy!

Not sure how much time you should take off. But if you have a choice I would say three to four weeks.. I know that sounds long but if you have the ability to do so it would help you get back to full strength and get used to the new routines :)

It might be a good question to ask the surgeon though when you meet with him or her.

Again, welcome!

I was going to guess 3 weeks for a physical job, too!

I took off one week but I sit in the desk all day staring at a computer.

Welcome!

I will discuss it with my surgeon on Wednesday but I am hoping he will agree to 4 weeks off-I do not have much down time and the docs will expect me to hit the ground running as they are short staffed and our patient census on our service alone is 120-140 patients in the hospital.

Just thought of another question-what about swallowing pills? One of my meds is pretty decent size and I usually dont have trouble unless I take a small sip...kind of a weird thing to think about but it just popped into my head.

Thank you for the warm welcome! Look forward to chatting with you guys as I progress :)

just want to say hiya

Dragonsmate

Back at ya :)

Welcome, welcome, and nice to meet you :)

always great to see another nice smiley force joining our humble group ;)

good for you on weining yourself off soda, and drinking properly

you've got a great attitude and you are correctly preparing yourself for a healthier, happier, longer life with your new best friend the sleeve :)

hope you get a WLS date - sooner, than later!!!

good luck

speedy recovery :)

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

warning, warning - off topic but................

laura-ven

nice to see B) you back

grab a glass of Water and kick your shoes off and stay awhile ;)

kathy

Appointment with the surgeon this afternoon-I secured financing (YAY) and I will be setting a date (hopefully) for my surgery. It is starting to kind of feel real now. Wow. Weird to feel scared and excited at the same time. :rolleyes:

Ok, sh!t just got real-I have a surgery date, surgeon is paid, FMLA is approved, and I am good to go with my new life on February 10th at 7:30 am! Hard to contain my excitement and I feel like I am just bouncing all over :lol:

So may things to look forward to-I feel like I just got a ginormous "do-over" in life and I will not fk this one up...One day at a time, live in the moment and try not to forget to breathe!

Namaste~