Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vitamin/mineral deficiency post-op? PCP asks...

I there! Surprisingly-my PCP is kinda giving me a hard time about my follow up aftercare. I'm scheduled for sx on 3.28 with Dr Cabrera in TJ.

First she grilled me about my expectations from her and I explained that I'd like to see her a few weeks before just to touch base. Then a week post op to check suture sites. And lab work a few times a year to check for any vitamin/mineral deficiencies.

Now she's asking me if my surgeon has a plan in place for any vitamin/mineral deficiency. My first thought is.....supplements, right? I mean - I've had a vit. d def. before and took supplements.

Should I just respond that I'm getting the feeling she's uncomfortable and find a new PCP or just ask my surgeon about it?

My advice is to get a new family doctor you want someone who is going to support you when you get home specially if there are any complications which arise.... I started having complications a month after surgery and although my family doctor was supportive prior to surgery he ignored me after and my health got so bad I started collapsing... I am looking into a new doctor :( it all could have been prevented had I not been ignored for months! You need someone who will support you and look after you when u get home!

You definitely need to find a new physician and I would get this done before your surgery! I had to find a new physician because she was not supportive about my choices especially going to Mexico. She had a lot of questions etc.... she was just doing her job.... My new physician has been so wonderful and very supportive. I needed him when I returned because I was severely dehydrated... and possible pulmonary embolism as I travelled way too soon after surgery. I had to be hospitalized on blood thinners etc.... He was there to pick me up when I really needed him. I believe you will find a great physician who will be supportive... Good luck ;0)

Thanks for the feedback. I have an appt with my dietician on Tuesday and she is on the same group. I was hoping she would help reassure my PCP that this is routine care. However, I think Ill start looking for a new PCP....

i thought i was set but I've been trying to set an appt with my doctor since thrusady and no one will call me back. I'm totally freaking out because i leave for mexico on Sunday!

Oh I'd be stressed too! Can you go to the office and make the appt? Total inconvenience but will give you some assurance.

Yeah I may have to try that. It's crazy I've literally called every day for over a week and nothing.... Ill drive over if I don't get them tomorrow.

You definitely need to find a new physician and I would get this done before your surgery! I had to find a new physician because she was not supportive about my choices especially going to Mexico. She had a lot of questions etc.... she was just doing her job.... My new physician has been so wonderful and very supportive. I needed him when I returned because I was severely dehydrated... and possible pulmonary embolism as I travelled way too soon after surgery. I had to be hospitalized on blood thinners etc.... He was there to pick me up when I really needed him. I believe you will find a great physician who will be supportive... Good luck ;0)

Hi Under1star-

You stated that your possible pulmonary embolism may have been a result of traveling too soon. Can you talk more about that? How many days after surgery did you fly, and how long was your flight? I will be flying from Tijuana to Ohio and am concerned about being in a plane for that long immediately after surgery.

I there! Surprisingly-my PCP is kinda giving me a hard time about my follow up aftercare. I'm scheduled for sx on 3.28 with Dr Cabrera in TJ.

First she grilled me about my expectations from her and I explained that I'd like to see her a few weeks before just to touch base. Then a week post op to check suture sites. And lab work a few times a year to check for any vitamin/mineral deficiencies.

Now she's asking me if my surgeon has a plan in place for any vitamin/mineral deficiency. My first thought is.....supplements, right? I mean - I've had a vit. d def. before and took supplements.

Should I just respond that I'm getting the feeling she's uncomfortable and find a new PCP or just ask my surgeon about it?

Your PCP is right about one thing...your surgeon should provide you with complete and detailed followup care instructions. I was provided with a day-by-day diet for 2 months out plus a lifetime supplement regimen to follow. He also has a recommended schedule of 3 month, 6 month and annual postop bloodwork to track any deficiencies. I just gave all this info to my doc and will schedule accordingly. Even though it's in Mexico, my surgeon's office has been readily available to answer questions and there is a nutritionist on staff to help.

If your surgeon has done all this and your PCP is still being difficult, then yes, you should find someone more willing to help you.

Hi Under1star-

You stated that your possible pulmonary embolism may have been a result of traveling too soon. Can you talk more about that? How many days after surgery did you fly, and how long was your flight? I will be flying from Tijuana to Ohio and am concerned about being in a plane for that long immediately after surgery.

Butterfly - I had surgery in TJ on a Friday and flew home on Monday. I was given blood thinners before surgery and wore compression stockings. I was actually surprised that I wasn't sent home with blood thinners. My return flight was only 2 hours, but my surgeon advised wearing the compression stockings and to get up and walk the aisles if the flight was very long. Everyone is different, though, so I would discuss your travel plans with your surgeon. As for the dehydration, it's pretty common postop because you can only drink a teeny bit at a time. Just remember to never stop sipping. it's truly a full time job.

Sleeveless - Does your insurance pay to see naturopaths? We are lucky to be in a state that lets naturopaths do a lot of dr. like work (not the case everywhere, I just found out when looking into moving to Colorado). I have a great one in Lynnwood who can do labs, spot nutritional deficiencies, and even prescribe actual medications (she prescribed thyroid meds for me starting a few years ago, which changed my life). While she doesn't understand obesity real well as a naturally thin person who loves healthy food, hehe, and sometimes says things that don't seem terribly sensitive, she was on board right away with me having the surgery and now she does my blood tests every three months. So far, with my constant stream of Vitamins, supplements, whey Protein shakes, my bloodwork shows I'm doing better than before surgery! Other than the persistent Iron and Vitamin D deficiency (that we all have here). Shoot me a pm if you want her info. She doesn't do hands-on things, but my incisions healed fine without needing to be looked at by the doctors. Even though they are gross! I was an infection-phobe and used hibistat to bathe with before an after surgery, used the antibiotic spray, and also some medihoney to be safe. Probably overkill. ;) I don't know what your surgeon's protocol is.

My Dr was kind of weirded out about the idea of surgery in mexico, but thanks to my extensive research (and this forum) I was able to answer any and all questions he had. And he knows I research things to death (he is our family dr) he just wanted to make sure I knew that if there were any surgical complications there isn't anything he can do and it might be harder to find a surgeon to take my case in that event. I herniated a disk in my back last week and he's been really great about meds and making sure this won't interfere with my surgery plans. In the end you want to feel comfortable with your care provider and if they make you feel bad about your choice to get healthier it might be time to find a new dr. On another note my mom is kinda freaked out about the risk of blood clots with traveling and surgery. My flight will be just over 2 hours and I was thinking about getting compression stalkings... was anyone told to take anything like baby aspirin or am I just being paranoid? lol

I have had numerous surgeries in my life and one time I developed a clot that was quickly dissolved with taking aspirin. The clot happened because I was basically immobile due to a tumor in my hip which caused my hip to break for 3 weeks in the hospital and I was on birth control. I had 2 operations, one to take a biopsy and another to place a rod and screws in my hip during that 3 weeks.

I am not too concerned with clots this time around because I am not on birth control and I will be able to move really quickly post surgery. Even moving your feet and flexing your calves helps your circulation on the plane ride home. The symptoms I had was my calf was slightly red, warm and tender to the touch.

I haven't yet spoken to my PCP about all of this. I hope he is supportive.

Edited by BrandNewBrandy

Hi Kitty and thanks so much for the post! I actually met with my new PCP just on Monday who is 100% in support and although my surgery isnt until 3.28 - she had me set up my 1 week post op appt w/ her right then and there! I'm really grateful for the feedback because it convinced me that I needed to change PCP's to better suit my needs. Unfortunately I have really crappy insurance (hence the surgery is in Mexico) and there is no coverage for naturopaths. But it does cover counseling and I am seeing 2 right now - both for eating disorder and just to really prep for the surgery and my life thereafter.

I forgot to talk to her about my birth control though. I have PCOS and take the pill to help with that. My surgeon says I dont have to stop taking it but that just feels weird to me. I feel like I should stop taking them a few weeks before the surgery. Doesn't that sound right? I know I need to put in a call to my OB/Gyn but since the birth control topic came up I thought I'd ask....

I have PCOS and birth control does not manage my symptoms at all! Metformin worked good and I was able to get preggo, but losing weight was a no go. I tried birth control again since we're 99% sure we're done having kids and it was like taking nothing (60+ day cycles)! I went to super supplements and after talking with one of the ladies there got some progesterone cream and after using it for 3 days a cycle (I started on day 28 until my cycle started) for 3 cycles and I was on a normal cycle! It was great! I did more research on it and they said that since PCOS is an estrogen dominant condition adding more estrogen just complicates things more. I had never heard anyone put it that way but it made sense to me! I then tried Chaste berry and that messed me all up again, lol. I'm getting an IUD next week.. I'm so sensitive to hormones I figure the less the better. My PCP did put me back on metformin to try and help with the pre-op weight loss but said I should stop taking it a week before surgery. The only person I know who has gotten a clot while taking birth control was getting a fistula put in for dialysis and a week after her surgery the fistula went flat, which if you've ever seen one you can imagine how big it must have been... she also smoked at the time. I'm just trying to get in as much Protein and Vitamins now as I can, and lucky me herniated a disk in my lower back last week so I'm on some hardcore NSAIDS.. I start PT next week and I'm hoping to wean off of them.. I will deal with the back pain to have this surgery.. nothing is stopping me, lol!