Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NUT said no Greek yogurt?!?

OK post op folks...I really need help wrapping my head around something.

Saw the nut today. She's 1 of 6 in my program.

Anyways we were going over a typical day of eating.

9am-Rtd shake

Noon-1oz light cheese with 1 oz turkey breastfeeding cubed

3-2oz fage Greek 0% yogurt with half scoop Syntrax powder

5:30-2oz fage Greek 0% yogurt with half scoop Syntrax powder & 1 oz chicken thigh or leg meat

7:30/8- 1 oz or less beef Jerky.

So...she tells me...I have to stop eating the yogurt and drink milk. I tell her it makes me sick. Drink soy she says. I don't like it I tell her. "Well, I want u back here in 6 weeks and I want to see that you've cut out Greek yogurts and are drinking at least 20 oz milk."

She gets up and leaves. What the heck just happened here?! So when I went to make my 6 week appt, I asked not to get her again.

From my research....The plain fage has more nutrients per half cup than any milk out there.

What would you do if you were me? Btw..I cut milk out at 6 weeks because it was making me sick again..and once I ditched it my weight loss resumed. The weight loss is fantastic with the fage.

Wow . . . I have made it mantra that I just follow the rules my dietician lays down, whether I agree with them, like them, or even understand them or not. But this would be a tough one. I would ask for clarification and guidance from one of the other dieticians. It doesn't sound like this one even tried to explain her reasoning, which would disturb me greatly. You may not have another appointment set up right away but honestly I would request an immediate follow-up with a different dietician in order to get a better understanding or what is going on.

Um..hello NUT? Has she ever made yogurt from scratch? It's MILK along with 1 tsp of yogurt cultures! What the heck?

Actually there is a lot of research for the use of yogurt and other fermented foods in helping to repopulate the gut with friendly bacteria. When our stomachs got cut away, we lost a lot of the friendly flora in our gut. Considering 85%+ of our immune system is supposed to be in our gut, yogurt is the best thing we could do. Since ancient times, people have eaten fermented foods to aid in digestion, hence pickles, kimchee, etc. ( I sound like the History Channel I know, I just heard Morgan Freeman's voice reading you that line).

Anyhow, back to the topic, i feel confident in saying that I personally would question that piece of advice and ask that it be accompanied by logic.

Now if you're eating it with a lot of sugar or artificial sweetner I could understand that but as plain low fat? I don't get it.

Edited by gamergirl

Wtf?!

Thank you ladies!

I've made it from scratch before as well and I wish I had thought of that when I was in there.

I may call my nurse Monday and ask her what she thinks. She's had the sleeve as well.

I'm going to continue with what I've been doing. I've lost 61 pounds and I'm heading into week 11 next week. I will request not to have that same nut again...ever. I also had her as a pre op and she was just as rash, rude and unhappy. Must be her thing. And i get that she sees people that fail at the sleeve. But i am in therapy every 4 weeks and have lost 43% or 61 pounds at 10.5 weeks post op. I'd say I'm making good choices or else I wouldn't be losing like this.

Edited by gomekast

Your nut is a nut...

Fage plain 0% is one of the best things we could eat. Heck it's on most of our "ok" lists by name (plain Greek not Fage)

Listen, I'm all for following you surgeon and your nuts advice..

But! I'd demand a explanation and if she's not willing, move on to the 2nd nut they offer.

By the way the first and only time I met my nut? She was chugging a diet soda..

Edited by laura-ven

My NUT told me to eat Greek Yogurt and to substitute it for other things like Mayonnaise. She also wants me to drink low fat milk instead of almond or soy milk.

Unless your NUT is going to come to your house to be kitchen monitor, I would just go with what dairy I can keep down, and then just tell her what she wants to hear. In the meantime, I would seek a 2nd opinion from a different NUT.

Your nut is a nut...

Fage plain 0% is one of the best things we could eat. Heck it's on most of our "ok" lists by name (plain Greek not Fage)

Listen, I'm all for following you surgeon and your nuts advice..

But! I'd demand a explanation and if she's not willing, move on to the 2nd nut they offer.

By the way the first and only time I met my nut? She was chugging a diet soda..

Haha! This nut today just blew me away. And I'm the type that doesn't fully process a situation until after its done and over. I don't react to much at all in general.

I am going to call Monday tho and ask my nurse clinician about the whole thing.

I had just come from seeing her and I told her I didn't do milk now but the plain fage instead. She was totally good with that and said it was better for me than milk anyways..like GG up there said.

I see a different nut in 6 weeks and told them this afternoon when they called me back not to put me with cranky again. It must be a somewhat common thing because the gal responded with a non verbal...yep we hear that about her sort of response. Then we both laughed.

I'm so glad I've got this forum to lean on!

My NUT told me to eat Greek Yogurt and to substitute it for other things like Mayonnaise. She also wants me to drink low fat milk instead of almond or soy milk.

Unless your NUT is going to come to your house to be kitchen monitor, I would just go with what dairy I can keep down, and then just tell her what she wants to hear. In the meantime, I would seek a 2nd opinion from a different NUT.

And that's the other part. .my daughter drinks soy only. I tried it. Gag. There aren't many people in my family that can have any sort of milk. I like to cook with almond but can't tolerate that either.

Besides, has anyone watched any of the food documentaries about food and what some things really are? Eek.

How odd, mine strongly suggested Greek Yogurt, maybe perhaps she thinks its too thick? On my full liquid phase I thinned mine with skim milk. More Protein can't be a bad thing, I'm so confused! Let us know if you find out why?

Edited by CrissyRing77

Yeah, call in and talk to one of the other nuts and get it cleared up. No greek makes no sense.