Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Updates from former Dr. Garcia & Dr. Illan patients?

Im glad to know he was willing to look at your blood work. That is a good idea. I had surgery with him on Oct 4th and have not had a post op blood check yet. I was wanting to do that soon so its good that I can email to him for advice. Thanks for sharing!

to the Original poster: I got surgery with Dr. Fernando Garcia. I have not had any complications and I don't get hungry and I used to get hungry all the time before surgery (I do have feelings that my stomach is empty and assume it means I need to eat fyi). My weight before surgery was 252 and I lost 10 lbs on my own during the pre op eating plan. So my weight at surgery was 242. I am now at 195! Very happy with the results. I did have pretty bad heartburn/reflux for the first month but it has lessened quite a bit now-only occasional now. I have not been doing the exercising like I should so this weight loss is just from eating habits. I am starting to work out more now b/c I do want to look toned when I get to goal. Good luck!

I had my surgery in March of 2013 with Dr. Garcia. It was a great experience. I've lost a little over 160 pounds, and I'm about 20 pounds from goal. I have had no complications at all. I do monitor my calories closely, and I keep in contact with Dr. Garcia through his Facebook page. He is wonderful about answering any questions I have. I've even emailed him copies of some blood work that I had done here in the states at my 6 month post op point, and he looked it over and have me some advice. I would not hesitate to recommend him. (I had another friend use him, and she is doing well too...no complications or issues.)

You look Beautiful!

Hm, it looks like my post about my experience with Dr. Illan was deleted, but I can honestly say it was the best medical experience of my entire life. I have the experience recorded on my blog if you want to check it out:

http://gainingme.livejournal.com/5015.html

And pictures! http://imgur.com/a/ldVZI

This before/after isn't entirely accurate because I started the surgery process at 300lbs, not 340, but today I'm down to 240 (I've lost 60 pounds since August 1st)! Love my sleeve so much, highly recommend Dr. Illan, would go back in a heartbeat.

ZesSiTT.png

I was sleeved by Dr. Garcia on 07/03/13 and could not be happier. I was 277 the day of surgery and I am 187 now, down 90 pounds!! I have not had one single problem. I could not have been taken care of any better while I was in the hospital or in the hotel. Being a nurse I have seen lousy care, but the nurses and doctors that took care of me were fantastic.

A woman that I work with also went to Dr. Garcia a few months after I did and she has also had great success. I cannot recommend him highly enough, you will never regret choosing Dr. Garcia.

I had Dr. Garcia on 7/5/2013, and am happily down 50 lbs. I felt extremely well taken care of with Dr. Garcia and team. My main heads-up would be if you end up last on the list to get surgery that day (I don't believe I made it into the operating room until after 8 pm) make sure you get another dose of anti-anxiety meds AND anti-nausea medicine. Mine had certainly worn off by then, so I was in absolute misery with nausea and vomiting that night. I also got the short straw with the IV stand I was toting around - for some reason the one I had had the bottom of an office chair screwed onto it instead of four steel wheels everyone else had, which made walking down the hall in a straight line impossible and annoying. It's the little things. ;) But other than that and a blown IV vein on the hand (seems to be pretty common), it was a much better experience than I had getting sinus surgery at a hospital in the states.The nurses and other staff at florence were very sweet, and it was great to have so many different doctors checking up on you. I had no complications surgery-wise. I would recommend him for sure.

I am a patient of Dr. Illan also! Im 26yrs old 5'3 and started at 230lbs had surgery on Jan 17th 2014 and i now weigh 210lbs only 12 days later. It was an amazing experience! The doctors were so great and caring even the nurses. Also Omar goes out of his way to take care of you and your guest. I went with my dad who was nervous and against the surgery but once we got there we met two other patients we both felt more comfortable. After my urgery I never felt any pain (except for some gas pain) and I never took any pain meds. Soon as I was out of the hospital we were out shopping and touring TJ, thanks to Omar! I would do it again in a heartbeat. Thanks Baja Bariatrics

I had surgery in march of 2013 with Dr.Garcia. I had a fantastic experience with him and staff . I can email him to this day and he will get right back with me. He loves what he does and is good at what he does.

I had my surgery march 13, 2013. I reached my goal wt so much happier now!

I had surgery with Dr Illan on March 13, 2014. I have lost 21 pounds since pre op. He is amazing, as is his coordinator, Omar. I am an RN in the states, and I was beyond impressed with the level of care I received. The nurses are great, the hotel is amazing. I am so glad I used them. It all went flawlessly. :)

well here ya go I was sleeved august 5 th 2013, weight at surgery 334 now 226-229 it varies a little , other than gas pains right after surgery its been clear sailing, my wife who is scared of needles is now planning her trip to Mexico for surgery by Dr. Garcia, the biggest issue is failure to take enough gas X strips ( min 2 BX). this Saturday i'll be in my first 5K... on the tread mill it takes me about 39 min no more than 40 min so I'm ready. hope you all do as well as I've done

Thanks for all the replies. I went with the amazing Dr. Illan and it was a great experience. Im very happy with my choice. I will be writing a detailed account when I have some time.

How are you doing by now, Tiff? Hope all is well!

Thanks for asking! Im doing great! I will be a month post op in a few days and I am down 24 pounds. I can totally see a difference in my clothes, the way I look and the way I feel. I am so happy with my decision! I started with a lower BMI of 35 or 36- so I dont expect to lose as fast as others but I am happy with journey so far. I definitely have a tight sleeve which is something I obsessed over when choosing a doctor. I know I cannot over eat with this sleeve. A few bites of anything and Im done.