Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why can't people realize I cannot do this without surgery?

A. Own you. You don't owe an explanation to anyone. If it is right for you, you don't have to defend it. Embrace your chosen tool and stop seeking approval from others. My weight was extreme, my addiction unmanageable and my life was in danger. Your health is not up for debate.

Clap-clap-clap!!!!! I'm using this later. Awesome!

I have been mobidly obese for the past 19 years. I currently weigh 284 lbs on a good day. I have tried so many diets, pills, programs, etc to lose the weight but all I lose is money and maybe 20 lbs if I'm lucky. I cannot exercise because of my joints and hip replacement because then I'm in bed in pain. I want to scream when someone says you can do it you just need to walk and not eat bad. I want to scream don't you think I have tried to do that the last 20 years!

I know I am a food addict. I know this surgery is a tool and I'm going to have to do work to be successful. I know I will need to spend some years probably in therapy addressing my issues. I know I will have to fight my fat mind long after the weight is gone. I get that its drastic. I feel that's what I need a drastic surgical intervention.

I sometimes just feel that noone can relate to me.

My heart goes out to you, dear. I am 270 pounds and could have written this post myself. I did the HCG diet last year, went to a famous diet doctor who was on Dr. Oz and spent thousands of dollars. I have gained back almost all of the 60 pounds I lost. Exercise is tough for me too as I have arthritis in my knees and lower back pain.

This is going to be lifesaving surgery for me and is truly my last resort. My surgeon's office has yet to obtain an authorization for my surgery and I'm terrified that I'll be denied, although with my BMI and comorbidities I can't imagine why. I am truly at the end of my rope and am desperate to get this procedure done. January 22 can't come fast enough for me.

My trainer at the YMCA (who's lost 75 pounds on her own; "hooray" for her) told me yesterday that she thought that I considered the surgery to be a "the-all, end-all." She really was down on me for my decision. Needless to say, I will not be working with her again. I'm not an idiot. I know that life won't be perfect after I have the surgery. I know that it will be the hardest thing I will ever have to do in my life. I will have to obtain a painful divorce from compulsive eating, a behavior that has crippled me ever since I was a kid. But just like you, I too need something drastic.

I see this procedure as a second chance at life for me. Yes, I have tried to lose weight "on my own" but the odds are stacked against me. Did you know that 95% (that's the figure I've heard, anyway) of people who lose weight by conventional dieting gain all the weight back? This surgery is going to save my life, and yours too.

Yes, I DO relate to you, more than you could ever know. Please don't hesitate to PM me if you need support.

Thank you for your courage in posting this. You are not alone!

I have been mobidly obese for the past 19 years. I currently weigh 284 lbs on a good day. I have tried so many diets, pills, programs, etc to lose the weight but all I lose is money and maybe 20 lbs if I'm lucky. I cannot exercise because of my joints and hip replacement because then I'm in bed in pain. I want to scream when someone says you can do it you just need to walk and not eat bad. I want to scream don't you think I have tried to do that the last 20 years! I know I am a food addict. I know this surgery is a tool and I'm going to have to do work to be successful. I know I will need to spend some years probably in therapy addressing my issues. I know I will have to fight my fat mind long after the weight is gone. I get that its drastic. I feel that's what I need a drastic surgical intervention. I sometimes just feel that noone can relate to me.

I am so with you! I am 46 years old and had my hip replaced in September 2013. After recovering from that surgery I tried to begin exercising and doing Atkins and only lost like 6 pounds in three weeks. I think after all the years of yo-yo dieting, I must have wrecked havoc on my metabolism. That's when I decided to have the sleeve done. I only told a handful of people prior to the surgery and all of them were supportive. I did not however tell all of my family. My husband, kids and mom were the only ones who knew. During Christmas some family members on my husbands side were asking why I did such a thing....:( my mom, quickly responded by telling them that I needed to get the weight off my hips. They became silent.

My husband wasn't too excited about this but when I shared with him the amount of pain I was in on a daily basis, he backed off.

I am 17 days post op and I already feel better. I simply don't have time for anyone with negative comments. This is my life, my health!

Thank you everyone for your replies. This is the beginning of a journey that I must go on. Noone else knows the exact path that I walk so thinking about it, it makes sense that they don't understand. All I need to do is take one step in front of the other and walk it.

Made the purchase of the big book of gastric sleeve and another book suggested on the forums about how to address and overcome food addictions. This will keep me busy as I save, save, save!

The older I get the less I care about the opinions of others. Do not waste another second defending your choices. Educate yourself about the pros and cons of surgery and make an informed decision. Once you have surgery. Use the opportunity you have been given to change your life and don't look back! Good luck!