Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im not to this point yet but im just curious if anyone here works as a nurse or a cena, and how easy it was for you to return to work after surgery. I am a C.N.A and my job is constant running on my feet and transferring residents, the work load can be very heavy at times especially when we are short staffed.

I am a nurse I work 12hr shifts on a heavy medical unit we almost never have cna I took off a week and was good to go good luck

When my mom had lap band in 07, I think she took 3 weeks off. I was a CNA for 3 yrs prior to becoming a LPN and then RN so I know that it is a lot of hard (and THANKLESS!) work. From what I've been reading, doctors recommend that you refrain from heavy lifting for a while. I guess that will really depend on what kind of work you do? Do you work in long term care, home health or a hospital setting?

When my mom had lap band in 07, I think she took 3 weeks off. I was a CNA for 3 yrs prior to becoming a LPN and then RN so I know that it is a lot of hard (and THANKLESS!) work. From what I've been reading, doctors recommend that you refrain from heavy lifting for a while. I guess that will really depend on what kind of work you do? Do you work in long term care, home health or a hospital setting?

I work in a long term care home and they approve two person transfers. If a resident is having a bad day I could be lifting a 140-190 lb person with one other cna. Usually they only allow residents that can support most of their own weight to be a two person transfer but anyone in the medical field knows that if u add a combative person in the mix its like lifting someone 3x larger.

Long term care is so stressful on your back and knees. I know exactly what you are talking about. Even with another person (or two) to help you lift the resident, it is still strenuous. I definitely recommend you talk to your surgeon, but if it were me I would take off a couple of weeks. I know when I worked at one facility ( a really ritzy continuing care retirement center), a couple of the CNAs were pregnant and they got to sit down a LOT and were given the "easier" assignments. Maybe you could see if your facility could do something similar?

Long term care is so stressful on your back and knees. I know exactly what you are talking about. Even with another person (or two) to help you lift the resident, it is still strenuous. I definitely recommend you talk to your surgeon, but if it were me I would take off a couple of weeks. I know when I worked at one facility ( a really ritzy continuing care retirement center), a couple of the CNAs were pregnant and they got to sit down a LOT and were given the "easier" assignments. Maybe you could see if your facility could do something similar?

Haha we don't really have easier assignments and you can't go on light duty unless its a work related injury but the place I work now is much better than the last. The last place I worked I worked my entire pregnancy up till maternity leave on a lock down unit.. and that was rough..

I hear ya. I worked in a lock-down assisted living facility for two years and I could not imagine doing that type of lifting while pregnant or after gastric surgery. I am looking into using FMLA. It may be a good option to consider.

I'm having laparoscopic RNY on January 16th and my surgeon signed my FMLA paperwork requesting I'd need off a mandatory 6 weeks. Its funny how some people can have the same type of surgery but how surgeons' opinions differ so much.

I'm having laparoscopic RNY on January 16th and my surgeon signed my FMLA paperwork requesting I'd need off a mandatory 6 weeks. Its funny how some people can have the same type of surgery but how surgeons' opinions differ so much.

That is so true!

I'm a Wound Care Nurse so maybe that was the surgeon's motive.

I am a labor and deliver nurse and I took 8 weeks off. I felt ok at 6 weeks but my energy level kept going up and down. With another 2 weeks I was ready to get back to work. I work 12 hour shifts and overnight. Everyone is different. As a wound nurse you may only need a week or two. I had pain the first two so I was on heavy pain meds. Hang in there I was sleeved on May 1 and have lost 126lbs and reached my goal weight last week. Went to Vegas and had a great time to Celebrate !

I am a labor and deliver nurse and I took 8 weeks off. I felt ok at 6 weeks but my energy level kept going up and down. With another 2 weeks I was ready to get back to work. I work 12 hour shifts and overnight. Everyone is different. As a wound nurse you may only need a week or two. I had pain the first two so I was on heavy pain meds. Hang in there I was sleeved on May 1 and have lost 126lbs and reached my goal weight last week. Went to Vegas and had a great time to Celebrate !

Congratulations! How fun and exciting :) thank you for sharing