Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why do people say Revision patients lose slower

I've been reading a lot of posts that state revision patients lose slower. Is this your experience? Why do you think revision patients lose slower? What is the science behind it. I just don't understand why I wouldn't have the same results as any other RNY patient.

I started out fast lost 20 pounds in two weeks. Then it just slowed down. A year and a half out and I only lost a total of 90 pounds. Don't get me wrong 90 pounds is 90 pounds. For the first time in my life I feel comfortable in my own skin. I would like to come down 15-20 more pounds.

I think after the drastic weight loss and ups and downs with the band, that my body has learned how to run off very little fuel. Granted, I still lose, but yes, compared to my peers who had virgin surgery at the same time, my loss is slower. Compared to what I lost after getting banded, my loss is slower (but much less miserable)

I'm hoping with a year in between my surgeries, I will respond like it's not a revision. I can see how seasoned WLS patients can trick themselves into eating more or bending the rules. Maybe the year off from my band was a good thing.

I guess I will find out!

I can't wait to see how different it is with RNY. Is the transition between the two hard?

Nope, piece of cake to eat with RNY. I am a dumper so I have to watch carbs but otherwise I can eat anything. Celery, apples, all the yummy stuff that made me feel like I was gonna die with my band. I'm a slow eater and chew well so I've never had a 'stuck' episode for sliming with the RNY....it's heaven!!!

Nope, piece of cake to eat with RNY. I am a dumper so I have to watch carbs but otherwise I can eat anything. Celery, apples, all the yummy stuff that made me feel like I was gonna die with my band. I'm a slow eater and chew well so I've never had a 'stuck' episode for sliming with the RNY....it's heaven!!!

I can't wait. My band was horrible for me.

What kind of issues were you having with your band? Which band did you have? I have been wondering if other people have had the same issues I was having.

What kind of issues were you having with your band? Which band did you have? I have been wondering if other people have had the same issues I was having.

It's a long story. The short version is my band was contaminated in the OR and I had an infection the entire 2 years with my band. The long version is 6 weeks post op, I developed a seroma at the port site. My dr drained the seroma and confirmed staph infection but said I must of contracted it in office. We tried a round of antibiotics but it didn't get better. I ended up hospitalized for a week, and after an endoscopy I ended up having the port removed and a picc line, wound vac and home health care nurse. It was torture. <br> 8 weeks later I had a new port put in on the opposite side. The port incision never healed. It leaked a bodily Fluid for 2 years. My doctor kept saying that my body was rejecting the port and that it would heal. It never did. I did get two fills during that time but it became risky and too painful. The port incision was constantly partially open, irritated and leaking. I had to wear big bandages every day because it would constantly leak through my clothing. <br> Finally one day the port started to break through my skin under the incision. It was actually visible through a hole that developed in my stomach one night. I could see the white silicone port. During this time, I lost my insurance due to divorce. My dr couldn't help me. I paid 120 for an office visit for him to tell me I needed to have the band out but I needed insurance for it to happen. <br> I can't express to you the mental anguish I was in. The picc line and wound vac from years before was bad, but this...seeing the port and praying it just didn't come out every day...it was bad. <br> I found a different dr the next day, had to wait till the end of the week to see him. He looked at my wound, called the hospital and got me a room and I was admitted immediately. I had a few days of antibiotics and then the band was removed. It was 80 percent eroded and had left a hole in my stomach. He wanted to revise to RNY at the time but couldn't due to damage. <br> He said that the band was alway infected. Probably from the ER. He said that I should have never been left to leak like that for 2 years with an open wound. It was disheartening.

Edited by Bubbles77

That is inane!! I thought I had l problems. I am so glad that it's out!! My band moved up and down there were days I couldn't drink anything until 7 at night. Then there were days I felt like I could eat a horse. Then the port would flip itself that was painful. I could feel it flip port side back and then flip back port to front. Again I am glad they finally got your taken out.

That is inane!! I thought I had l problems. I am so glad that it's out!! My band moved up and down there were days I couldn't drink anything until 7 at night. Then there were days I felt like I could eat a horse. Then the port would flip itself that was painful. I could feel it flip port side back and then flip back port to front. Again I am glad they finally got your taken out.

The port moving was horrible. I can totally relate. Good for you for getting yours out, too. I hate when people say we failed the band or we didn't so something right. I couldn't prevent any of that and it sounds like you couldn't either. The bands are a gamble at best.

It failed us that's for sure. I have about 5 other friends who have the band and have not had any issues. They have all been very successful. It would be me to be the one out of 10 that has issues with it. One of my friends that has the band kept telling me over and over to have it checked out cause he never had pain with his. I could feel my port sticking out through my skin. It was bulging looked like an alien.

It failed us that's for sure. I have about 5 other friends who have the band and have not had any issues. They have all been very successful. It would be me to be the one out of 10 that has issues with it. One of my friends that has the band kept telling me over and over to have it checked out cause he never had pain with his. I could feel my port sticking out through my skin. It was bulging looked like an alien.

Exactly!!! Mine always bulged!! I have 4 friends who've had wonderful success. No issues at all. I know someone else who also almost died from it. There is just no way to know. I got the band thinking it was the safest bet. I was wrong. I can't wait to have my bypass.

Live and learn right. The doctor that did my revision is wonderful!! Every time I am in the office and he has someone that wants the band he has them talk to me. He does the bands but tries to inform them of all the ins and outs. I don't always change their minds but at least they have some knowledge of the dangers.

My band experience was horrible too. Today was my six month visit after my conversion from band to rny. I am 65 lbs down from my surgery weight and feel fantastic. I told my dr today I eat better now than I did for the five years with the band. My labs were perfect and I feel like my goal is achievable. Am I a slow loser compared to peers? You bet. Was it worth it? Unequivocally!! It was the best decision because I don't play games with my food anymore or lie to myself that it is normal to not be able to swallow anything until 3 in the afternoon. I was a mess indeed.

I am hoping to get another 20 to 40 lbs off by my 1 year anniversary on june 12th.

My band experience was horrible too. Today was my six month visit after my conversion from band to rny. I am 65 lbs down from my surgery weight and feel fantastic. I told my dr today I eat better now than I did for the five years with the band. My labs were perfect and I feel like my goal is achievable. Am I a slow loser compared to peers? You bet. Was it worth it? Unequivocally!! It was the best decision because I don't play games with my food anymore or lie to myself that it is normal to not be able to swallow anything until 3 in the afternoon. I was a mess indeed. I am hoping to get another 20 to 40 lbs off by my 1 year anniversary on june 12th.

I think 65 pounds down in 6 months I commendable. Did you have your Revision right away or did you have to wait for yours?

My band eating habits were horrible. I just couldn't eat anything like dense Protein. It was sad.

I hope you reach your goal!