Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to know when you have hit the GREEN ZONE?

Any tips out there to advise us to WHEN we have hit the green zone?
What are the real signs?

Not loosing 2#'s a week as of yet and have had several fills - now at a 7.1/4 out of a 10 band. (However went in time before alst and nusrse said I had a 14cc band-so I am really confused)

It took me 6 fills and 7 months to get to the green zone. Others hit it right after surgery. Some have taken over a year. Much depends on your doctor and how aggressive he/she is with fills?

Losing 4-6 lbs a month is quite average and many bandster's would welcome those results. But, if you want to know when you have hit the green zone, it's really a mental state more than a physical state.

Being one with the band or being in touch with your body physiology is so important with the band. Sometimes the most subtle signals slip right by a Bandster and many of them go on to not succeed as much as they had planned.

Here's how it works for me(and every one will be different): I fill my plate with as much as I should be eating but really I put too much on it usually. As I eat, I get to a state where I'm not really hungry any longer. I can stop now, and sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't. When I do, it's because the taste no longer satisfies me or my appetite has suddenly gone away or has been diminished. When I don't, it's old habits kicking in or the food is so stinking awesome I crave more. Obviously, I'm not paying attention now and I'm not in touch with my body or band.

So, it's a mind thing and paying attention to the signals my body is sending. It's not a big signal, so pay very close attention.

How big your band is or how much saline is in it is irrelevant.

tmf

Edited by 2muchfun

BTW- some satiety tips are runny nose, hiccups, burping.

And, if you did measurements on your body before surgery, you may be losing inches and adding muscle. This makes it appear you're losing less but you are losing more fat and replacing it with muscle. That's a good thing.

Edited by 2muchfun

Any tips out there to advise us to WHEN we have hit the green zone?

What are the real signs?

Not loosing 2#'s a week as of yet and have had several fills - now at a 7.1/4 out of a 10 band. (However went in time before alst and nusrse said I had a 14cc band-so I am really confused)

The real signs are hunger, your hunger will be dimmed for about 4-5 hours between very small meals of about 1/2 to 1 cup of solid food.

Good luck!

The "real" Green Zone signs vary from one person to the next, and vary in one person from one day to the next. Every creature on earth, even of the same species (such as human), is unique - in anatomy, genetic inheritance, environmental influences, you name it. We're all influenced by weather; hydration; illness; stress; time of day; time of month; medications; food choices; a host of internal, autonomic processes; and more. I wrote an article about the Green Zone here:

http://www.bariatricpal.com/page/articles.html/_/support/post-op-support/get-into-the-green-zone-r97

Keep in mind that average weight loss with the band is 1-2 pounds a week. In 6 years, I haven't met a single WLS patient who lost a steady 1 or 2 or 1.5 or whatever pounds a week, for many of the reasons mentioned above. My own weight loss was very uneven - something like: - 1, -.5, + 1.5, -2, -.25, -1, + .5, and so on. As long as the overall trend is downward, that counts as success in my book (speaking of which, I highly recommend the bandster's Bible, Bandwagon). Many of us lose more quickly at the beginning of our WLS journey and more slowly as we approach our goal weight. Men tend to lose more quickly than women because they have greater muscle mass. Even when you get to your goal weight, you're not likely to see that exact same weight on the scale every day for the rest of your life.For example: a few days ago, I gained 2.5 lbs overnight. Why? Because I'd been eating high-sodium stuff for a few days. That's a red flag, not a cause for panic. After a few days of making better food choices, I know that 2.5 lbs will go away.

Jean

Edited by Jean McMillan

I just had another thought, about something that might help you find your very own Green Zone. One of the biggest jobs for any WLS patient, no matter what surgical procedure they have, is learning how to recognize satiety. That's something I managed to completely ignore for 54 years before my band surgery, mainly because I was eating for a lot of reasons that had nothing to do with physical hunger, good nutrition, health, or any of that good stuff.

Satiety is the feeling of having eaten enough food for now. For someone like me who had a gaping void inside that no amount of food could ever fill, learning to recognize satiety wasn't just hard - it was scary. Deprivation was one of my worst fears. I think that fear exists to some extent in every living creature. If we don't eat, we eventually die - every single one of us. A morbidly obese, middle-class, middle-aged woman with a job and a home and loving friends and family is not likely to starve to death, but that fear haunted me for a long time.

Fortunately, I made lots of friends on online WLS sites like Bariatricpal who helped me by sharing their own satiety signals. The work of paying attention to and heeding those signals was all up to me. I got better at it as time went on. My conscious behavior and the effect of more saline in my band helped a great deal. Now that my beloved band is gone, that work is much harder, but like it or not, it's my job for life.

Other members have shared some of their "stop eating" signals on this thread, but please don't kick yourself (or blame your band) if all those signals don't happen to you on the magical, mythical day that your band is filled to an optimal level. Even if and when that day arrives, those signals and that optimal fill level are probably going to change. One of the best - and hardest to handle - consequences of my WLS has been learning to pay attention to and take good care of my body. It's the only one I have, and I plan to make it last a long, long time.

Jean

P.S. - I wrote an article about recognizing satiety here: http://www.bariatricpal.com/page/articles.html/_/support/post-op-support/how-much-food-is-enough-r96

I sometimes feel like I am in the green zone. I have had either 3 or 4 fills for a total of 2.2 or 2.4cc's. I forget those things. My doctor goes slow. I see him 2 weeks from tomorrow. I have been around the same weight for 6 months or so. He is thrilled with my loss. I would like to lose 40-50 more. I am far from a perfect eater but I don't eat nearly what I did before. So my tool, The Band, is working.

I also, have been do any exercises lately, lazy, even though I pay for a gym membership.

Just remember, we are all different.

Good luck.

Arlene

As others have advised, the green zone happens at different times for different people. My surgeon's office have us take a survey before each appointment. A lot of times, we aren't actually aware that we have made it to "green" until we take the survey. If you can eat your small meals, and be satisfied for 3-4 hours, you are probably in the green zone. You must learn to listen to your own body! If you are not aware of the soft signals, such as hiccup, burp, sneeze, cough, etc. become aware of what your body is telling you! Best wishes, Karen..aka.kll724

In my case...I am rarely hungry...and have little to no interest in food...I Have to remind myself to eat most days....and when I do eat, there is a limit as to how much I can eat...my portions are limited. But it does not bother me because I'm not hungry in the first place....

I no longer count calories, nor worry about portion sizes....

Sounds weird, the only way I can explain it is.....

Imagine you have been eating everything in sight, say at Thanksgiving...all day long to the point it hurts.....some one offers you another piece of pie and you say "No Way...I don't even want to look at food ever again I am so stuffed"

Well, for me, the mere presence of the band (adjusted) sends signals to my brain, telling it I am full, satisfied, whatever....to the point I cannot eat anymore, no desire or interest in food, and no hunger either....but I do not have the physical feeling of feeling full...and never have since being banded...

Many people say they look for the feeling of being full with the band...I'm still not sure what the means exactly...

It is all mental, because I feel that way even if I have not eaten in 24 hours...which I have done occasionally since being banded..(but that's another story).

And because of that, I have no real cravings...I can look at something and take it or leave it....although I may take a bite because I am interested in the taste...someone may have put a lot of effort in preparing it....

It took me about 4 months to get to that point, and then another 6 months to figure out what was going on, and develop a new lifestyle with it...

I should add that the first 6 months after surgery were extremely hard for me, and very frustrating to say the least....thought I made a BIG mistake and even wished I never had the surgery.

But that has all changed now....it's absolutely a miracle!

\

\

lap_band_fill_zpsfa76dbdb.jpg

I feel like I'm getting close...... Only hungry enough to eat twice a day......Not snacking....Not thinking about and obsessing over food....., But, I

Know I'm not in green zone yet bc of the quantity of food I can eat..... Much more than a cup of food at a time. For example, yesterday's New Year's dinner... I ate 1 1/2 cup of smothered cabbage, a cup of sautéed mushrooms, and a cup of black eye peas...... Then, I got my hiccups..... My signal for not one more bite! I'm hoping another fill (Jan. 13) will get me there!

I feel like I'm getting close...... Only hungry enough to eat twice a day......Not snacking....Not thinking about and obsessing over food....., But, I

Know I'm not in green zone yet bc of the quantity of food I can eat..... Much more than a cup of food at a time. For example, yesterday's New Year's dinner... I ate 1 1/2 cup of smothered cabbage, a cup of sautéed mushrooms, and a cup of black eye peas...... Then, I got my hiccups..... My signal for not one more bite! I'm hoping another fill (Jan. 13) will get me there!

The band may not stop you from eating more food. I could eat a 16 oz steak if I wanted but I'd be miserable and it wouldn't taste good after the first 6 ozs. The flavor and appetite dwindle rapidly after the first cup of food.

The band may not stop you from eating more food. I could eat a 16 oz steak if I wanted but I'd be miserable and it wouldn't taste good after the first 6 ozs. The flavor and appetite dwindle rapidly after the first cup of food.
I'm going to really try to read, feel, and act upon SATIATION, without OVER-STUFFING!

The band may not stop you from eating more food. I could eat a 16 oz steak if I wanted but I'd be miserable and it wouldn't taste good after the first 6 ozs.

I think what she's saying is exactly the opposite... What I understand is that she CAN eat that 16oz "steak", for example, and not feel miserable like you would. Same with me, I can eat more than 1cup before I get that satiety signal, which in my case is a sigh; although, I try most of the time to stay within the 1cup recommendation. But when I DO, I'm usually hungry before the 4 hours. I'm not sure if I'm "there" or I need another (conservative) fill. What do you all think? ;)

The band may not stop you from eating more food. I could eat a 16 oz steak if I wanted but I'd be miserable and it wouldn't taste good after the first 6 ozs.

I think what she's saying is exactly the opposite... What I understand is that she CAN eat that 16oz "steak", for example, and not feel miserable like you would. Same with me, I can eat more than 1cup before I get that satiety signal, which in my case is a sigh; although, I try most of the time to stay within the 1cup recommendation. But when I DO, I'm usually hungry before the 4 hours. I'm not sure if I'm "there" or I need another (conservative) fill. What do you all think? ;)

If you can make it 3-4 hours that's as close as some of us ever get. I still have a low fat/cal snack about 3 hours out. An apple, cheese stick or some beef Jerky help me to get to the next meal.

WOW! What I am gathering from this is it's "A MIND THING"!

Six months in and 1 # a week down...my Dr. is happy with my loss but I seem not to be quiet as happy.

THANK You each for you replies and tips...

I will start to listen to my body and try the 1 cup of food... Maybe I am to occupied with what's on my plate and try to finish it all regardless of how long it takes or how many bites its takes. aka-Mindless eating!!?!?!? YIKES!

A new year and a new attempt to get a real handle on this!
******************************************************************************************
Does your band seem different on diffefrent days? Somedays when the weather is rainy my band seems tighter???

IS this all in my head also?