Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HOW TO GUIDE for Chewing and Spitting

Hello, i hv the same problem with chewing long n swallowing fast. Thats being one of my biggest problem since i had my surgery on 12/04/13. I get the burn in my stomach n the food stop at my throat but eventually goes away after moving around or some sip of Water. Im hoping it gets easier for both of us. My 3 wks appt is today i wanna see if i lost anymore weight more than the 13lbs i did on my 1st wk.

I've turned off monitoring of this thread and I won't be posting anything else, so you can just complain to each other I guess.

For anybody else that reads this and already chews and spits and needs to understand it better, I hope this helps.

EVERY "destructive" or "risky" or "negative" behavior, always has ways in which you can minimize the damage and reduce the negative outcomes.

Medical professionals are supposed to guide all of their patients, even when those patients make bad choices.

FACT: Studies have shown that 34% of people with eating disorders chew and spit. Those people need guidance too.

Here are some studies on CHSP to educate those of you who actually care to learn more about it.

http://www.scienceofeds.org/2013/03/06/your-bodys-response-to-chewing-spitting-the-role-of-ghrelin-and-obestatin/

http://www.scienceofeds.org/2013/02/22/chewing-and-spitting-a-neglected-symptom-in-eating-disorders/

http://www.scienceofeds.org/2013/03/21/your-bodys-response-to-chewing-and-spitting-the-role-of-insulin/

Good luck everyone on your weight loss journey. There is a high percentage of WLS people who do wind up with eating disorders, so you should try your best to avoid bad eating habits, but if you already have those bad habits, you do deserve some helpful advice along the way, until you're able to fully quit the bad habits.

Edited by Gone

I guess your next post will be for alcoholics just to swish the liquor around in their mouths then spit it out. WTF man???

Forgot to mention to superfatty, someone already stole your alcohol idea. It's the Illinois Senate.

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/gutcheck/2012/04/sip_and_spit_passes_in_illinoi.php

Since the OP states he has decided to turn off the monitoring of this thread, my response is to anyone else that reads this and is contemplating this risky behavior - PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS.

The OP believes he is being chivalrous in giving advice on how to do this properly. That is akin to showing an novice IV drug user how to inject heroin properly. "Here, give me that syringe and let me show you how it's done." Or perhaps we should have a new forum for bulimics and we can show them proper techniques on binging and purging. Imagine all the fun videos we can post!

There is no room on this forum to show people, who are already in a fragile state, a way around dealing with or treating their food issues. Even if one doesn't consider themselves a food addict, they did have or are considering weight loss surgery for a reason.

The OP states that a woman in her 90's has done this her whole life like she should wear that as a badge of honor. What a miserable existence mentally, not to mention the physical toll that could have taken on her body!!!!! My grandfather smoked for 70 years and didn't get cancer and only had a minor cough when he died. I guess that means we should all go out and buy some cigarettes and see if we get similar results. Hell yeah!

And I see the OP just posted another comment which means he's still monitoring this thread in some fashion. As I stated my words are not meant for the OP, they are meant for the other members of our community who may happen by this thread.

THIS IS BANANAS!!!!! If a person feeds an addiction, they'll eventually want more! When chewing and spitting no longer satisfies, then what?!?!?! Weight gain is inevitable!!!!

Forgot to mention to superfatty, someone already stole your alcohol idea. It's the Illinois Senate. http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/gutcheck/2012/04/sip_and_spit_passes_in_illinoi.php

They aren't alcoholics. If you're going to reply, reply to what I said. Not to wine tasting.

Edited by superfatty

Ken, sorry, I am the "this is not helpful" camp (and I admit that I have an eating disorder and am addicted to refined carbs).

But that said, do some additional research and provide any research that you can find to support your position.

Because I don't think this is helpful does not mean I won't read and learn from your beliefs and experiences.

As Will Rodgers said:

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."

SO, if there are Board Members who do this and believe it's normal and helpful, this comment is not for you. Take care of yourself.

If there are Board Members who do this and think that it is abnormal or unhelpful... consider getting the help you need to change this behavior... rather than "learning" how to do it better...

It seemed to me that maybe Ken posted this from personal experience, and wanted some advice, not judgment. Isn't this site for support? I for one can say I have succumbed to this a couple of times simply because I knew I couldn't handle the food yet and I just wanted to have the flavor in my mouth. I realize the dangers of it and will still probably do it occasionally just to taste something! I am in charge of me, feel free to cast judgement all you want....shame shame

I don't get an "asking for support" vibe from the OP. Not at all. If anything, this has more of a pro-ana type of vibe.

I would hope we're here to support each other in making good choices; not in getting around making bad choices.

You are of course free to do as you wish with your body and your weight loss. But if I were posting about how I was taking in all of my calories from wine or doritos and "this is how you can do this safely also" I would expect a bit of a backlash to that. Because the majority of us know what the rules/recommendations are. Chewing and spitting are not recommended.

I watched this amazing woman through out her weight loss journey on You Tube . She fought this behavior every day! Over a year out she had not broken the habit.....She was as upset with this as she was at being over weight...She was shy but honest in her videos and I found myself rooting for her to get a hold on this behavior that I did not understand..

I had not even heard of it, until I started to research the sleeve. Every post was an update on her new obsession and how she was trying to get a handle on it...She traded one addiction for another....That is one of the dangers of this...Addiction!

If you want to you can find a way around anything in life, but is it worth it to not face it head on and work through it until you have it under control...

I know that if you chew food and spit it out you are still getting some of the useless calories. When you do swallow there is residue left in your mouth which gets into your saliva and you swallow it....I know this is trivial to say..But if you think doing this is still eating clean...It is not in reality...

I watched this woman until she stopped her videos and don't know if she ever kicked the habit...But it taught me that it would not be a thing for me to even try it.....

I know the OP has left this conversation, but I wanted to just send a shout out to Laura-Vet for her response. I am still on full liquids and I confess that I have done the swallow spit a few times (mostly at holiday parties so that no one will notice i can'/am not eating).

However, now that I see why this is a bad idea from Laura, i have decided i will no longer engage in that behavior. I find it more helpful to learn WHY you should just say no rather than a "healthy" way to do something that is nit good for you.

To add to the OP heroin addict analogy, if a heroin addict could have a surgery to make their body physically stop craving heroin and have a much lower tolerance for it, it doesn't make sense for a doctor to say "hey here's how to clean a needle incase you want to engage in your pre surgery behaviors safely". The point of the surgery is to BREAK the cycle, not to continue it a little here and there. That's how we addicts (drug and food) got to where we are in the first place.

Maybe some people can handle swallow and spit and keep their weight off for life. I am not one of them.

A bite here and there turns into a swallow (which is what happened to me almost everytime I engaged in this behavior. Sometime it would be a full swallow, sometimes a partial one because of the residue, but a swallow nonetheless)

After the first couple times I did this, I found it harder and harder to spit out that bite. I ended up swallowing some of my coworkers amazing buffalo, chicken dip (brought some home from the party) and I was in acid reflux agony for what seemed forever because I swallowed some.

So anyway, thank you Laura for being brave and speaking up. You have helped me tremendously.

Edited by Comfy_Blue

Just my 2 cents worth. A disordered habit, eating disorder, addiction call it whatsoever are all within a spectrum of long term psychological issues. My advice would be to seek professional help from a therapist or a psychiatrist in one to one setting in not in a forum. That would be the right kind of support.