Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight gain after surgery?

I had my surgery done on Dec. 26. I started out at 305 and went through education classes and at the time of surgery was done to 285. It has been one week since my surgery and I have followed the clear liquid diet to a tea. I had some kidney complications and they had to pump me full of IV fluids. The Fluid weight is making my legs and feet swell. Has anyone gone through something similar and have any advice for me?

You are retaining Water and swelling. I gain 5 lbs the first week i was home after surgery. try to get in all your fluids you should try for at least 72 oz of water per day and try to walk even if it is just for 15 minutes at a time sip sip walk walk it really makes a difference

I gained 10+ pounds during hospitalization -- all water...

BUT THIS TOO SHALL PASS. and I am over 100# down now. YOU ARE DOING NOTHING WRONG. Stay with your program, it'll work out!!!

The dos I wt 256.5 when I came Hm from surgery the next day I at 263 I had gained 7lb. I was so mad and upset because I just couldn't not understand. As of today I'm down 14lb. Dr said its because they pump you full of Fluid in the hospital and your swollen from the procedure too. I would not worry with the wt gain. I know that it's upsetting but the wt will come off once the swelling goes down

I put on weight in the hospital and that went along with another 15 lbs I've since put on 6-7 lbs and it's not budging!!! Nothing to do with hospital x but thank u for ur reply x

I'm Nut told us not to weigh our selves after surgery since it's very common to gain weight after surgery due to high Fluid intake ( all those bags of fluids they pump you with after surgery) it will come off... Follow dr orders and in a few days you will see it:) good luck

Sabredy, with all due respect it is really impossible at this point for you to tell what might be causing what. Lots of people have been where you are and you will lose once your body regulates and figures it out.

I am very sorry you're going through this.

Don't worry, this is just Fluid retention and will be released soon. They fluid load you as the amount that you can get in with a new sleeve is usually not much. Once you improve your fluid intake and move more, the situation will sort itself out. Please don't worry or restrict your fluids more than is needed. you are consuming too little in the first few days as it is. The great thing is that once this happens, the scale and your Centimeters go down significantly. Hang in there!

I'm almost 2 months post op and I keep gaining and losing the same 5-7 pounds. Lowest i'll go is 210 by weeks end I could be 217 reverse cycle the next week. Been like this the last 3 weeks, I also know I'm not getting all my Water in like I should so this maybe the cause of it.

Thanks for all the positive words of encouragement. I had a pretty first rough week and was wondering why did I do this. I hope I can keep my focus on the long term goal.