Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Artificial sweetners

Ok. The discussion is on at my house. Is there a "good" artificial sweeter ? We've been using Truvia and just learned it's not a natural product. We are all in shock. HELP!!!

I don't know if it's anyone else's definition of good, but I love Splenda. It doesn't bother my stomach like some artificial sweeteners and for me, it has the least aftertaste. I few I do not like include Stevia, Sweet n Low, and Equal.

Lynda

We have been using Splenda for many years to sweeten coffee. Every day. However, it too has been deemed unnatural to our surprise.

See the link: http://www.truthaboutsplenda.com/resources/faqs.html

We now use Stevia. It works well and is safer for you then the Splenda . Sorry, Lynda . :)

Here is a short list of natural sweeteners:

http://www.oprah.com/health/Sugar-Substitutes-Healthy-Natural-Sweeteners

Edited by Fiddleman

This has been a topic of discussion at our house. My husband is using artificial sweeteners in his coffee, he's eating sugar free popsicles, there's artificial sweetener in the shakes, in the Protein puddings we make..and he's wondering if he isn't substituting one sugar addiction for another (artificial) sugar addiction.

What worries me too is that we read about how your body releases insulin when it thinks it is about to eat sugar. From what I have read, the brain can't separate between real and artificial sugar and releases insulin with both real and artificial sugar intake. And we know that you don't burn fat when insulin is coursing through your bloodstream.

So I'm really wondering if in the long run, we're all better off just giving up all artificial sugars?

Sorry I hope I'm not hijacking your thread Sheila, but I know my RA often flares with sugar, and I think if I ate too much artificial sugar, I wonder if my RA and your Fibro might not flare as well?

But to answer your original question, I use agave nectar. It's made from real food, and it has a very low glycemic index so I suppose it should be okay. Ish.

I had also saved this picture and thought I'd share it here. It shows the GI index for various natural sweeteners.

post-180691-0-27829400-1388611244_thumb.jpg

We have been using Splenda for many years to sweeten coffee. Every day. However, it too has been deemed unnatural to our surprise. See the link: http://www.truthaboutsplenda.com/resources/faqs.html We now use Stevia. It works well and is safer for you then the Splenda . Sorry, Lynda . :) Here is a short list of natural sweeteners: http://www.oprah.com/health/Sugar-Substitutes-Healthy-Natural-Sweeteners

Hey no worries. I know that just cuz I like it, doesn't mean it is good for you!

Glad to see Stevia is sitting up there with a GI of 0. Does that mean the body will not get confused and not dump insulin? I know lower GI foods are supposed to suppress the insulin response, but sweeteners seems like outlier.

Edited by Fiddleman

Glad to see Stevia is sitting up there with a GI of 0. Does that mean the body will not get confused and not dump insulin? I know lower GI foods are supposed to suppress the insulin response, but sweeteners seems like outlier.

I don't think they should be outliers should they? GI is GI after all, and anything with low GI should not cause insulin spikes.

I brought it up because stevia is a sweetener like Splenda, yet does not trick the body into releasing insulin. I know it is because stevia has GI of 0, but still find it odd that the body reacts so differently to two sweeteners.

<p>This has been a topic of discussion at our house. My husband is using artificial sweeteners in his coffee, he's eating sugar free popsicles, there's artificial sweetener in the shakes, in the Protein puddings we make..and he's wondering if he isn't substituting one sugar addiction for another (artificial) sugar addiction.</p> <p> </p> <p>What worries me too is that we read about how your body releases insulin when it thinks it is about to eat sugar. From what I have read, the brain can't separate between real and artificial sugar and releases insulin with both real and artificial sugar intake. And we know that you don't burn fat when insulin is coursing through your bloodstream.</p> <p> </p> <p>So I'm really wondering if in the long run, we're all better off just giving up all artificial sugars?</p> <p> </p> <p>Sorry I hope I'm not hijacking your thread Sheila, but I know my RA often flares with sugar, and I think if I ate too much artificial sugar, I wonder if my RA and your Fibro might not flare as well?</p> <p> </p> <p>But to answer your original question, I use agave nectar. It's made from real food, and it has a very low glycemic index so I suppose it should be okay. Ish.</p>

You're not hijacking. I wanted to see a discussion and I thank those so far that have responded. I'm stilly confused about the fact, that, according to mayo Clinic sugar substitutes don't alwsyd affect blood sugar but sugar alcohol can. Not all artificial sweeteners contain sugar alcohol. My family is still actively debating this and I

is leaning toward saying using a little sugar is healthier. My head is spinning.

Good discussion. I know I worry about how much artificial sweeteners I use on a daily basis. This summer when I was newly sleeved and coming off a severe diet coke addiction I allowed myself to drink lots of crystal light. In Sept I gave that up. However I have decided for now I will keep using the sweeteners. I like the Protein powder I use most and I plan on using it till I reach goal. When I get to goal I plan on re evaluating and experimenting with natural sweeteners. I am curious to hear other's thoughts too. Thanks to y'all for sharing and thanks GG for the sweetener chart. Very informative.

Edited by reading mom

I brought it up because stevia is a sweetener like Splenda, yet does not trick the body into releasing insulin. I know it is because stevia has GI of 0, but still find it odd that the body reacts so differently to two sweeteners.

The way I understand it it is splenda and the like are processed artificial sweeteners and Stevia is natural and does not have any affect whatsoever.

Edited by Seela

I read articles about the evils of artificial sweeteners often. The media loves talking about their relation to cancer. They really freak me out! The FDA says most are "safe". I wish we had more concrete evidence on what's safe and what's not that safe.

I was a huge Splenda fan until approximately one year ago. I quit my 6-8 daily cups of coffee along with the 3-4 packets of Splenda that went along with each. I converted to Decaf herbal tea and use Stevia as my sweetener of choice. Supposedly not all Stevia sweeteners are created equal. Many are mixed with other ingredients. My personal favorite so far is NuNaturals Pure liquid vanilla Stevia, Alcohol Free.

What's wrong with Truvia? I'm not well educated on this but it's so helpful to put just a drop in Greek yogurt. I thought it was better than some of the others. Does it cause dumping?

What's wrong with Truvia? I'm not well educated on this but it's so helpful to put just a drop in Greek yogurt. I thought it was better than some of the others. Does it cause dumping?

No I. Don't think it does. A drop in Greek yogurt shouldn't really be an issue. I think for those of us like my husband who are sweetening everything they drink and half of what they eat...well, whole different ball game :)