Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What will you be leaving behind in 2013?

Imagine you were writing on a piece of paper all the things you were leaving behind in 2013 that you didn't want to take with you in 2014. Imagine burning that piece of paper and watching those negative, destructive things going up in smoke as you move forward.

What would you leave behind from 2013?

For me:

I will be leaving behind 25% of my old body. As of today, I have lost a fourth of my starting weight and my knees, back, and joints carry a lighter load into the new year.

I will burn up all the times I thought that I was being judged for my weight, whether or not I was.

I will burn up all the fad diets and magic herbs and pills and potions that I tried to help me lose the weight.

I will burn up any anger I had, when I thought life was unfair that I couldn't eat like normally skinny people and look like them.

I will burn up the anxiety I had, about getting older and becoming infirm because of the excess weight.

I will (try to) burn up all the fears that I have about not reaching goal, and about not being able to maintain the weight loss.

I will (try to) burn up all the times I look at my new body and think "Yes but I still have to....."

What about you? What are you leaving behind in 2013?

I will let go of all the physical pain that I have endured so far over my choice to have WLS

I will deal with the new onsets of complications with fortitude and hopefully grace through 2014.

I will handle those who are not supporting me in a way that brings positive results to me.

I will leave behind the 182 lbs. that I lost mostly in 2013.

I will not let myself believe that nothing has changed for me in a positive way.

I will let go of those that made me feel that I was not worth their time..( so called friends )

I will not let food rule me, I worked on that in 2013 but I will conquer it in 2014.

I will not fear the smaller sizes anymore...

I will finish to goal and beyond.

i will leave behind those neg nellies who do nothing but make me have self doubt

way tooo much control over me, but no more...i am in control of my happiness, my health.. i am heading to where i want to be...

I love your posts. You are always so motivational and inspirational. :)

It scares me to even attempt it, but I am going to try my level best to give up binging and compulsive overeating for 2013. It's what got me to 270 pounds (324 at my highest weight), and has made my life miserable ever since I was a child. My dad died suddenly when I was 6 years old, and I quickly learned to turn to food for comfort. I was terribly bullied in school for being fat and weighed over 200 pounds in the sixth grade. The weight just kept piling on year after year.

Even though I knew what I was doing was incredibly self-destructive, food was always my lover, my best friend, my confidant, my solace when I was bored, hurting, sad, depressed, angry--fill in the blank. I never learned a way to sit with those uncomfortable emotions. I married my soulmate in 2006 and even that wasn't enough to put me off of the food. I have eaten until I was physically ill and have eaten food out of the garbage can.

This punishing behavior is going to kill me. I hurt all the time, emotionally and physically. Food is not my friend but it's taken me nearly 45 years to learn that lesson.

Next week I start my 2 week preop diet and I'm scared. If there's anything I can't deal with, it's hunger. I don't know how I'm going to get through all of those negative feelings without medicating myself with food. But I don't want my surgeon to open me up in the OR and find that I didn't obey her instructions. I want the surgery to be uneventful.

It's not going to be a cakewalk after the surgery, either. I know that I'm going to want to eat and I physically won't be able to. Again, I'm going to faced with having to sit with my feelings without medicating myself with food. Did I mention that I'm scared?

Yet, I have wasted so much of my life in this self-abusive habit. It's time for it to stop. I'm only 44 and I, God willing, still have many years ahead of me. I won't have many years left if I keep doing what I'm doing.

This is probably going to be the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. But I have to do it.

Sorry to go off on a tangent...but if there's anything I want more to leave behind in 2013, it's this.

I will leave behind one of the two MBAs I earned. I have the real degree which I will keep since I am still paying for it via student loans and the other I didn't plan on getting. Two degrees for one price. It came along for the ride due to not exercising and watching what I ate. It is My Big A*s. Still paying for this one too but the cost is diminishing. Education is so expensive.

i also am leaving behind my doubts that I will truly reach my goal this year. I have a new lifestyle and a functioning tool to get me there.

Crappy eating habits are becoming a distant memory as new ones replace them.

Oh, my! What a year 2013 was! My Mom passed away on New Years Day, I found out I was adopted by the Dad that raised me all of my life, I met my biological Dad and have since been shut out of his life.

I'll leave behind the negative feelings of being rejected.

I'll leave behind the feelings of not being able to be myself because of the way I look.

I'll leave behind the thoughts that I can't do this or that because of my weight.

I'll leave behind the shame I felt for being overweight.

On the other hand:

I will remember that I have a big beautiful family full of love that my husband and I have made together.

I'll remember to treasure them and always put them first.

I'll remember that I'm very blessed to have wonderful people in my life and to show them how much they mean to me.

I will leave behind 41.8 pounds I lost in 2013 - I fought hard for each and every one of those, but I gladly leave them in 2013.

I will leave behind that defeatist attitude I've been carrying for 20 years ("you're going to fail again", "you're never going to lose all the weight you need to lose", "you're disgusting", you get the picture).

I will leave behind that woman that didn't expect more from herself.

I will leave behind the idea that my weight defines me.

I will leave behind the attitude that exercise is not a priority.

I will leave behind the habit of eating when not hungry - food is my fuel, not my pleasure and not my therapist.

Happy 2014 to everyone!

Edited by McButterpants

Oh you guys! I LOVE reading your posts. I learn so much from all of you. Thank you!

I'm leaving behind 5 pounds and my old job. Got a new offer unexpectedly and I start on the 13th. I wish i was starting thin instead of fat, but oh well!

I am leaving behind 100+ books on diet, nutrition, weight loss, and every fad trick that came across on the talk shows. They are packed and ready for the Veterans' charity truck to come by.

I am leaving complacency behind and taking pro-active responsibility for my health.

I am leaving behind - the food Network. I just can't watch all those food shows anymore.

I am leaving behind - the food Network. I just can't watch all those food shows anymore.

OMG - me too! I loved the "in the kitchen shows"...At Home with Giada, Barefoot Contessa, etc. I cannot watch them any more! There is so much butter being used! LOL

I leave behind the 69plus weight that I lost. The pain I endured from being mosleted when I was 7 yrs., old. I blamed my self amd punished myself, with food, if a man noticed me when I wad on a diet I would immediately start stuffing my mouthuntil I would regain everything I'd lost plus more. I now know and belive I was a innecent child who was violated in one of the worst ways possible by a family member . It was not my fault, I was not to blame so I go into this new year with a lighter heart and a new life and continued weight loss. Happy Year Everyone !!

I leave behind the 69plus weight that I lost. The pain I endured from being mosleted when I was 7 yrs., old. I blamed my self amd punished myself, with food, if a man noticed me when I wad on a diet I would immediately start stuffing my mouthuntil I would regain everything I'd lost plus more. I now know and belive I was a innecent child who was violated in one of the worst ways possible by a family member . It was not my fault, I was not to blame so I go into this new year with a lighter heart and a new life and continued weight loss. Happy Year Everyone !!

Never expect to ever get over that hun...but dealing with it and putting it in its proper place will make you better and stronger...i hope for you that the pain lessons a lot.....You were a victim...You were innocent...And him well he was and still is a very disturbed person and a monster who deserves your feelings of disdain .....I understand! I really do!!!!

Edited by RJ'S/beginning