Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please Help me. Food addiction. Binge eater. I probably should not have had surgery

Stay in touch with us. We care.

<p>Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place.</p> <p> </p> <p>I am lost at sea without oars. I am a binge eater or food addict. I was desperate and five years ago I got the sleeve. At first it helped and the binge eating stopped but as time went on I changed my food addiction and binges into graze binges on smaller amounts. Slowly the weight came back and I stopped following any rules. I even went back and tried conventional weight loss diets like Jenny Craig and Lite and easy. I kept mini bingeing for days then back on diets just like the old days but the binges are smaller. I drink Pepsi max everyday and am addicted to sugar. It's almost like I never had the sleeve done at all and I am so disgusted and ashamed with myself. My head followed me after the surgery and I am scared I have completely blown it. I have started the 5 day pouch test (on New years Day how cliché) and have all my food ready for this but I am actually struggling to remember what it is I am meant to be eating as a post op sleever years out?</p> <p> </p> <p>I have a couple of questions.</p> <p> </p> <p>What are the general guidelines for sleevers regarding food types, frequency and amounts and liquid dos and don't s. Things to avoid? ( I can eat almost a normal meal now) :( What's a normal sleevers meal?</p> <p> </p> <p>Is there a support group on here for compulsive over eaters, binge eaters or food addicts? </p> <p> </p> <p>Thanks and Happy New Year.</p> <p> </p> <p>Too Cheeky (still)</p>

Great job, looking for support! You can do this!!! My surgeon said no carbonated beverages- EVER- as it will stretch out your pouch.

Binge eating is a psychological condition such as bulimia or anorexia. I would recommend talking to a therapist to figure out the 'why', you binge eat. If you don't find the root of the problem you risk always falling off the wagon. Good luck!!!

Cheeky,

Do you use any tools to track your eating? If you don't, I highly recommend it. If you do, why don't you post a text log of it up here each day and we can all be your support group while you get back on track. I know a lot of people are linked up on fitbit and the websites. I know that accountability is a great friend when it's late and I reach for the fridge handle.

Jay

u

I didn't think withe the sleeve regain was possible?

per Misty " it is. extremely possible with every kind of bariatric surgery. "

Warning, warning to all newbies et al

Misty/and I speak the truth :(

if you eat/graze through out the day - when your stomach is empty - you will continue to eat more and more calories

then you/me/we will gain weight :angry:

it happens/ could happen to the best of us :angry:

thats why this is considered a new life time way of eating

newbie et al - this is a lifetime of eating correctly

just because we are now sleeved doesn't mean we can go back to our old eating habits

or you/me/we will gain the weight back :angry:

good luck

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

Would it be helpful if you pre-made all your meals, measured out all your Snacks, etc. and kept them in containers in your fridge? That way you can be sure you are eating the correct portion sizes and the right stuff. You could even make a schedule and eat "on schedule," just until you get back in to the routine of things. Also try introducing the "rules" again slowly, one at a time (eating slowly, chewing well, half an hour waits between meals/drinks, no fizzy drinks etc.).

So many of us have psychological issues when it comes to food (it's probably how we've ended up this way!), so getting into therapy to address the root of the problem will probably help to ensure long-term success.

All the best :)

Would it be helpful if you pre-made all your meals, measured out all your Snacks, etc. and kept them in containers in your fridge? That way you can be sure you are eating the correct portion sizes and the right stuff. You could even make a schedule and eat "on schedule," just until you get back in to the routine of things. Also try introducing the "rules" again slowly, one at a time (eating slowly, chewing well, half an hour waits between meals/drinks, no fizzy drinks etc.).

So many of us have psychological issues when it comes to food (it's probably how we've ended up this way!), so getting into therapy to address the root of the problem will probably help to ensure long-term success.

All the best :)

I'm just preop but I only do well if I enter every, single morsel that passes my lips into My Fitness Pal. It's the best tool I've ever used. I even ate a cupcake today (not gonna happen after surgery) but I counted it. I took responsibility for it. If I hadn't, I might have added a brownie or some chips that were sitting there too (at a baby shower). I also pre-measure everything I eat at home and enter it into MFP. I bought a scale from Amazon and I've been weighing everything. It's time consuming but it's helped so much. I've lost 14 pounds doing this. I need the sleeve though, to help me do this consistently. I'm averaging 1200-1500 calories. I know I need less. Hunger is hard. I'm hoping the sleeve helps with calorie restriction. All of these tools come together and hopefully equal success. I can see if you remove one tool, you can fall apart. I'm just a newbie but I'm just so thankful for everything I've learned from the vets! So much support and knowledge here.

Cheeky,

How are you doing? I hope things are going well for you. Please let us know!

Jay

toocheeky,

I have been in and out of therapy for over a decade trying to deal with the "head" issues which cause me to be a food addict/binge eater and thus morbidly obese. I am stilll in therapy after having WLS on 12/11/13. I'm a newbie and I'm grateful to you for having the courage to post what you did.

I'm grateful because knowledge is power when you are a newbie like me. I truly hope you get the help you need. I know I wouldn't be where I am without the support of my husband, my first cousin and my therapist. I've still got a long way to go on my journey but again I'd like to thank you for having the courage to come to this site and post what you did.

I wish you only the best in getting back on track.

Take Care,

Kathleen

toocheeky,

Thank you for starting this discussion. I am 8 months out and have fallen off track too. I was feeling ashamed and mad at myself for not staying focused and going back to old habits, and as such have gained some weight back. I felt lost and wasn't sure how to get myself back on track. Thank you everyone for the helpful information in this discussion. I feel a ton better about my chances of getting back on the wagon and continuing with my weight loss.

If someone does end up starting a support group for this, I'd love to join in. :)