Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please Help me. Food addiction. Binge eater. I probably should not have had surgery

Thanks almost everyone (not penman 53)

I am in Western Australia. When I had the sleeve I did not have a Psyche assessment and there weren't any support groups.

Thank you everyone else for the supportive comments. I have some hope today that I can get back on track whereas yesterday I felt so lost.

I never did reach my goal weight I lost about 40 pounds.

Sorry if I came across to harshly, I will try to do better next time.

I don't mean to be harsh, but maybe a little realism in this case is warranted. I stated that I was sorry about her problem and all I wanted to say was that she might have brought up her eating issues to the evaulator when she was going through the process. She could have really injured or killed herself with the chronic overeating. I just don't want that to happen to her. Sorry if I sounded harsh I don't think I said anything that was untrue.

Not untrue but definitely condescending. Condescending = Not Helpful. Shame and judgement not appropriate here.

Penman53,

Did you really imagine that the poster who reached out for help and indicated that she had fallen off the wagon due to food addiction and binge eating was unaware of the health risks of her past and present situations? This has nothing to do with whether your post had some truth or realism.

If so, you seem to have limited emotional intelligence and not to realize that your shaming post is incredibly unhelpful for one whose struggles with food and weight are linked to the eating disorder of binge eating.

I suggest that you work on gaining some before you post on a forum when someone is asking for help! It would make an excellent 2014 project.

Graciela

Too cheeky,

As a binge eater and carb addict who had the VSG 4 years ago, I have been in a similar situation- lost about half of what I wanted to lose after surgery but have remained stuck due to frequently returning to sweets and mini-binges.

I wonder if there are others here who might be interested in forming an internet/email based group for mutual support in "re-activating" our sleeved lifestyle in 2014? We could do emails frequently or we might want to attend the same online twelve-step meetings each week?

just sharing a few potential options for evenmore support than is available in this nice forum.

Graciela

I already apologized I don't need a lecture on my emotional intelligence. Enough said drop it.

Good luck getting back on track! Im newly sleeved and its been tough, but you can do it!

And in my opinion "the psych evaluations" are pretty useless.

TooCheeky, Thank you for reaching out to us. You might not get what you wanted to hear, however, take the information and set forth on a new journey to get help. Obviously you know you have a problem, and there is a reason for it. Get help for that underlying reason. You can see that we do not have the answers to everything, but we feel for you and what you are going through. Life is too precious to waste one minute.

Also, I just saw you are in Australia. We are fortunate enough to be in the US and have excellent access to medical treatment and can pick and choose another doctor if we don't get the right one the first time. With serious health issues involving weight, I could have been like you and trusted some doctor who could have convinced me to have this surgery without being prepared for it. Ten years of research here led me and my husband to the sleeving.

I now understand your post a little better and wanted to reply again. Prayers, solutions and well wishes! Keep the faith. Don't let anyone get you down!

Also, I just saw you are in Australia. We are fortunate enough to be in the US and have excellent access to medical treatment and can pick and choose another doctor if we don't get the right one the first time. With serious health issues involving weight, I could have been like you and trusted some doctor who could have convinced me to have this surgery without being prepared for it. Ten years of research here led me and my husband to the sleeving. I now understand your post a little better and wanted to reply again. Prayers, solutions and well wishes! Keep the faith. Don't let anyone get you down!

In Australia this surgery is almost always done by private surgeons in private hospitals using private insurance. There is no reason to assume the OP was coerced or convinced into surgery.

To the OP, please check out nedc.com.au and thebutterflyfoundation.org,au.

I think it's great that you are able to pin-point your problem. Therapy will definitely help. Also, my bariatric center has a lot of support group meetings--perhaps you can find one? I know you feel like a failure, but contact your surgeon if possible. The more people you contact to help you , the less alone you will feel. You are brave, strong, and capable. One day at a time!

:) Amy

I think it's great that you are able to pin-point your problem. Therapy will definitely help. Also, my bariatric center has a lot of support group meetings--perhaps you can find one? I know you feel like a failure, but contact your surgeon if possible. The more people you contact to help you , the less alone you will feel. You are brave, strong, and capable. One day at a time!

:) Amy

I agree. Very courageous. You are not alone.

I think that, while a previous poster was perhaps too harsh in his comment, he did highlight something very serious. The eating disorder you are describing is exactly of the intensity that causes people to "eat themselves to death". I believe that if the hardship in changing your eating habits is so bad that it is rendering your sleeve practically useless....more than just being a part of this WLS community is needed.

I 100% commend you for reaching out for help. It is NEVER too late to change the course of your life and learn new ways of coping. However, I also truly believe that there is something lurking beneath the psychological surface that is driving your food addiction. Please please please seek out some professional therapy to get to the ROOT cause of this eating disorder. The binging is only a symptom of a larger problem and until that larger problem is found out and addressed you are likely to remain in this hellish cycle.

Love & Hugs to you.

It's ok Penman I know what your saying has truth it's just that I already know it and can't change it now so I felt judged. We are all human and I was desperate for an answer.

I am on day three of the Pouch test and while I know its not a long term answer it is helping me feel like I can get back on track. The headaches are severe which tells me I am detoxing from sugar. I have read the replies and don't feel quite so alone, thanks everyone.

I was hoping there would be a thread or support group for binge eaters Graciela and I would like to participate in one if it is created. :)

I am also going to get help. I do have past trauma that I think is partially a catalyst for the eating disorder. Its something I don't want to face but I guess its time to make a choice about the way I am living my life.

Thanks again for the kind supportive words.