Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January fitness challenge

Still gonna lift but - my trainer, who I thought was also my buddy, threw a huge shocking tantrum via FB message the other night, ranting on, mentioning that what he has given me so far would have been $300 in the States but that he was doing it out of the "kindness of his heart". I was just mortified. It was his idea to train me, his idea to do it as often as we did, I was humiliated. So, now I will attempt to go it alone, and just hope that somebody is willing to spot me v_v...

I am sorry this had to happen to you. Keep calm and carry on.

Perhaps while you are waiting for another trainer / buddy, keep your lifting rotations between 60-80% of your max for each lift and use free weights (barbell and plates) in case you need to bail. Learn how to effectively bail first where you can safely get out of a failed lift before lifting heavy in a compromising position.

You can also stick to other body weight exercises that are more on the gymnastic and mono structural axis like double unders (general balance and coordination), hand stand push-ups (upper body, shoulders,) , chest to bar pull-up (grip strength, forearms, lats, traps, delts), weighted back extensions (back), weighted GHD sit-ups (quads, core), kettle bell swings (forearms, grip strength, posterior and anterior chain), farmer carry, goblet squats, wall sits (quads), planks (core), l sits (core, triceps), ring dips (core, triceps), sprints (cardio efficiency), etc. Any of these can scale up by going faster and /or increasing weight. For weighted exercises like kettle bell swings, farmer carry and goblet squat, just increase the weight of the dumbbell or kettle bell. For pure body weight exercises like push-ups or planks, add a plate to back or exercises like pull-ups or hand stand push-ups, wear a weighted vest. I am not expecting you to have access to weighted vests or other straps to hold weights to your body, so plate on back for planks or plate above head for lunge might be more suitable. These can all be done without a spotter and build strength, decrease body fat as well as improve general athletic ability.

Be sure to put in enough mobility time before and stretching time after. And drink a lot of Water.

It will work out for you. Keep at it. :)

Still gonna lift but - my trainer, who I thought was also my buddy, threw a huge shocking tantrum via FB message the other night, ranting on, mentioning that what he has given me so far would have been $300 in the States but that he was doing it out of the "kindness of his heart". I was just mortified. It was his idea to train me, his idea to do it as often as we did, I was humiliated. So, now I will attempt to go it alone, and just hope that somebody is willing to spot me v_v...

Wow people are shitty. I have no doubt some one will happily spot you.

Hey folks. Ran my first trail race yesterday. A half marathon in Wichita Falls, TX. Home of the Hotter than Hell 100 bike ride. Luckily it wasn't hot, but it was a challenge. For one thing, this trail was clearly built for mountain biking. I wasn't expecting that. Nor was I expecting all the mountain bike obstacles. Plenty of log piles, up and down rolling humps, downed trees to hurdle. And random 10' drop offs....and I don't mean a downhill...I mean a cliff. You just had to slide down somehow. It was more like an obstacle course than a run. But it was great fun and all the challenges made the miles fly by. Right up until mile 11 when I stepped on a sharp ass rock and limped the rest of the way. Ouch.

Other than that it was loads of fun and I'm definitely hooked on trail running. I cannot go back to running the roads. Hopefully I'll have some race pics soon.

MTD 79.5

post-120520-0-14785200-1390147465_thumb.jpg

Okay, swim day. I'm up to:

CF 5 sessions out of 10 sessions

Swimming 9900m/16000m

Still on track to pull this off.

Ran my first 1/2 marathon today and ready to do it again next month.

Run: 54 (Goal: 60)

Walk: 46 (Goal: 60)

Bike: 9 (Goal: 30)

Total: 109 (Goal: 150)

Keeping up with my walking, got in another yoga class, been riding the bike;

MTD-80 miles, 6 yoga classes, 4 strength seesions & 20-30 min/day recumbent or eliptical. I think next month I'm going to try a tai chi class they are offering, or maybe cardio-salsa, so many choices, so little time......

Hey there everyone! Looks like you are all doing great! Keep up the great work! I have been busy busy so I haven't been able to check in daily but I am still at it. I am sitting at 70.1 miles for the month so far. The wife and I have been enjoying some great hikes together. Being outside and away from the TV and computers is awesome!

Keep up the hard work everyone!

Ok...here we go. A new month....a new year. Time to get off our collective butts and push ourselves a little bit. This isn't about weight loss so much as it's about living/breathing/moving more...feeling better....improving the quality of our life through fitness. Not to mention pushing ourselves to do a little more than we thought we could.

As always....set a goal for yourself. Something that you know will be challenging. State what your goal is....then come back every chance you get to update your progress.

Make your goal something specific and measurable. XXX miles walking/running/cycling/ellipticing/swimming/crossfitting/weightlifting. Or XXX hours working out this month.....XXX times going to the gym this month....whatever you want.

Here's mine....120 miles running and 12,000 meters swimming. Plus I'm doing the pull up challenge every other day, hoping to work my way up to being able to do a pull up sometime soon.

Everybody join in. This is a new year. Exercise and fitness will make you feel better, help you sleep, speed up your metabolism, increase our strength and stamina, lengthen your life....and make you look better naked. Face it, we could all use that. :)

Crap I just found this thread. Can we do it agan in february?? To finish this month out I will do cardio 3 times a week and do weights 2 times a week.

I DID go to the weight room last night - by myself, and I did arms: tricep pulls @35#, bicep pulls @35#, the bar donut rolling rope thing x5 each over under, bench presses @ bar+10# - I did not go to muscle failure on the bench as I did not have a spotter. pectoral pushes @45#. I also did the leg press @150#, 3 sets of 15 and then one to muscle failure, even though it was arm day I did that one just cuz it feels good ^_^.

Fiddle - do you prescribe to the idea of leg day/arm day/etc? I want to do leg presses every day because they feel good but I also want to be smart about the way I work out. Sunday was legs, yesterday was arms, today will be abs, tomorrow will be back, Thursday will be cardio, and I will take fri and sat off. Thoughts?

Also, today I am probably going to take in about 650 cals, I figure that is okay because I sit all day until I lift @ 1700 and I'm not doing cardio.

Reporting on Week Two of January Fitness Callenge:

Gym: 5-6 days a week..... CHECK....Went 6

(Total for Jan. 12 out 14 days)

Elliptical: 30-36 mi/wk...... CHECK..... 34.69mi

(Total for Jan. 68.69 miles)

Weights: 2-3 days a week...... NO CHECK.... Just once this week

(Total for Jan. 4 days out of 9)

MET MOST OF MY GOALS FOR JANUARY, WEEK ONE AND TWO

Reporting on Week Three of January Fitness Challenge

Gym: 5 to 6 days/wk..... CHECK..... Went 6

(Total for Jan. 18 out of 21 days)

Elliptical: 30-36mi/wk..... CHECK.....32.19miles

(Total for Jan. 100.88 miles)

Weights: 2-3 days/week.... NO CHECK..... NONE

(Total for Jan. 4 days out of 12)

On a brighter note: I ran/jogged for the FIRST time ever today!!!!!

I'm at 54 miles to my 85 mile goal - I have a hole to dig out of being sick a few days last week and being lazy on Sunday!

I have done no weights as was in my original goal - I don't know why, I just can't seem to get motivated. Gotta work on that.

2 more workouts down for 1.25 hours, including D1W1 c25k.

Restarting c25k now that my back is feeling better. Tried jogging in minimalist shoes for the first time- what a huge difference. I feel better running and I'm less self-conscious because it doesn't sound like I'm stomping in the treadmill. Double win. : )

10.25 hours done/ 5.75 remaining.