Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questran post-sleeve

I am posting this for the next person who is like me and is searching for info on how to tolerate Questran post-sleeve. I was prescribed this to control bile acid diarrhea from a dysfunctional (and now completely removed) gall bladder. I have suffered through diarrhea multiple times a day the whole time since surgery 7+ months ago.

Questran is a powder that comes in a can like Protein powder, or in individual sachets. It has to be stirred into a liquid. It doesn't dissolve but stays suspended. You need to put it with at least 3/4 cup of liquid or half a cup of liquidy fruit like applesauce or pineapple chunks.

People without sleeves can just chug it and be done. I have managed to take it just stirred into Water a couple times but have a really hard time keeping it down because it has a goopy and gritty texture and sits very heavy. So today I tried some experiments.

1. Tomato juice -- too thick. Came back up. :( I wanted this one to work because it would be a low-carb serving of veggies. Maybe it would work if I Water it down a bit. I may try again.

2. In water with ginger cordial (flavoring sweetened with Splenda) -- tolerable but still gross

3. In half a cup of applesauce -- not terrible but gives the applesauce a gluey texture -- makes it take too long to get through it

4. In a cup of orange juice -- this is the ticket. It totally disappears into the OJ because it is already a bit thicker than water and has pulp. Assuming I don't dump from the OJ I think I am set.

Tomorrow I will try diluting the OJ with water and see how diluted I can get away with. I need to take this 2x a day once the diarrhea is under control and I don't love the idea of spending so many calories and carbs on OJ even if it is an all natural one.

You probably won't experience this problem but if you do, I hope this thread helps you. I hope Questran helps me and I can manage this problem and not have the one lingering side effect anymore.

Oh and if you are lucky enough to be in the US, there are several drugs in this class (bile acid sequestrants) which are available as pills so you can try those first and maybe skip this whole problem. None of the pills are available in Australia. This is a very old medication with very few side effects.

One thing to be aware of is that Questran will cause other medications to absorb less well. You need to take other medications one hour before or three hours after taking Questran. This includes Vitamins and birth control pills for instance.

Edited by mistysj

This is helpful. Ty!

I used to take Questran years ago after I had my gallbladder removed too. I couldn't stand that gritty powder & just started taking Immodium when I was going to eat in public.

I mentioned this to my current doctor. She told me there is a med out in pill form that does the same as questran. It's call Welchol. It's very expensive, but it's worth a try if you have insurance that will cover it. Seemed to work for me..when I remembered to take it.

I used to take Questran years ago after I had my gallbladder removed too. I couldn't stand that gritty powder & just started taking Immodium when I was going to eat in public. I mentioned this to my current doctor. She told me there is a med out in pill form that does the same as questran. It's call Welchol. It's very expensive, but it's worth a try if you have insurance that will cover it. Seemed to work for me..when I remembered to take it.

Yep that is one of the ones that is not available in Australia. :(

I took the Questran with 3/4 cup of orange juice and 1/4 cup Water. It was ok. Hides it a little less than the full cup of juice but I saved a few calories.

No diarrhea since 3 pm yesterday. I will be out and about today. We will see.

Anyone know any OTC alternatives to Questran or cholysteramine? Hubby had huge section of intestines removed a number of years ago and was prescribed it for the horrible diarrhea that followed. He doesn't have insurance now and Imodium does nothing for the diarrhea. He can't keep weight on and we haven't been able to find a decent alternative to the Questran.

I read somewhere that taking Calcium would help and I tried it with moderate success. Let me see if I can find the link. It's been a while.

Anyone know any OTC alternatives to Questran or cholysteramine? Hubby had huge section of intestines removed a number of years ago and was prescribed it for the horrible diarrhea that followed. He doesn't have insurance now and Imodium does nothing for the diarrhea. He can't keep weight on and we haven't been able to find a decent alternative to the Questran.

Questran is dead cheap. It will be cheaper than Calcium and I couldn't get the calcium to work. Can your DH go to a free or discount doctor to get the RX written?

Ok I tried with 3/4 cup Tomato juice and 1/4 cup Water and it was ok. And much less carbs than the OJ. Looks like I need to take it 3x a day right now so that will be helpful. It is helping though!

Thanks for the link. Last time he was able to get an rx for Questran, it was $260 for 1 can of it. We found it on the internet for $120 with no rx but it's a pain in the butt to get and probably not legal. He will have insurance next month so we will try the Calcium until then. Maybe pairing that with Imodium. So I take it my little caltrate chewies won't work?

I have the opposite problem I take a lot of meds that cause Constipation. When I had my surgery my Dr., told me to use milk of mag, well I its not working for me anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions I' ve been tempted to take mag citrate like before my surgery.

Thanks, Misty. You got to it before I could. :)

I just used the very plain pills, and it did seem to help. I don't notice anything now with my calcium chews. I think the Xylitol or whatever they use to sweeten them would probably cancel out the calcium citrate.

Thanks, Misty. You got to it before I could. :) I just used the very plain pills, and it did seem to help. I don't notice anything now with my calcium chews. I think the Xylitol or whatever they use to sweeten them would probably cancel out the calcium citrate.< /p>

It has to be Calcium carbonate not citrate. That's because your body uses almost all the calcium citrate. You need some of the calcium to go all the way through. Your body only uses about 40% of calcium carbonate. The good news is carbonate is the cheap one. You shouldn't go over 1800 mg a day. It didn't do anything for me but then I have to take Questran 3x a day rather than some people who can get by with half a dose a day. I think my liver produces more than the normal amount of bile?

Right, for me two big Calcium carbonate pills with my morning meal prevented the explosion. Haven't bothered with it since the sleeve surgery. Some days are good, some days it's the same old thing.