Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drain hole issue/question

Hi All, I am 4 weeks post surgery tomorrow from a full Tummy Tuck. The first drain was removed at about ten days because it really wasn't producing anything. Everything was fine for a few days then I rolled over in bed and reached for something on the floor and felt a distinct pop! When I saw my ps about a week later (snow storms delayed an earlier visit) he removed the second, and last, drain. At the time he said the first drain hole looked fine. Well, it's been almost ten days now and the only pain I have of any significance is from that first drain hole!! because of Christmas and new year my next appointment isn't scheduled till the 9th. After being so good in following restrictions it is making me crazy that I might have compromised something by rolling over! I'm not sure if I should call my ps on Monday, or even if there is anything he could do. It does continue to drain very slightly. I feel like there is no support and anything I do re opens it. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Hi All, I am 4 weeks post surgery tomorrow from a full Tummy Tuck. The first drain was removed at about ten days because it really wasn't producing anything. Everything was fine for a few days then I rolled over in bed and reached for something on the floor and felt a distinct pop! When I saw my ps about a week later (snow storms delayed an earlier visit) he removed the second, and last, drain. At the time he said the first drain hole looked fine. Well, it's been almost ten days now and the only pain I have of any significance is from that first drain hole!! because of Christmas and new year my next appointment isn't scheduled till the 9th. After being so good in following restrictions it is making me crazy that I might have compromised something by rolling over! I'm not sure if I should call my ps on Monday, or even if there is anything he could do. It does continue to drain very slightly. I feel like there is no support and anything I do re opens it. Any thoughts or suggestions?

How long since your weightloss surgery did you get the tuck? They say wait 18months before tuck. Also yes call your dr Monday if no answer listen to their msg on what to do.try using a ice pack on incision it helps contract tissue/skin .

Hi Countrygirl, 16 months between lapband and tt. I've been running and couldn't get rid of the rash no matter what, plus at goal for 3 months.

Hi Countrygirl, 16 months between lapband and tt. I've been running and couldn't get rid of the rash no matter what, plus at goal for 3 months.

Great news & will pray for healing of incusions farmgirl.

Yesterday I resolved to not lift anything (!), not even a mug, higher than my shoulder. This made a huge difference in how the drain hole feels! I swear I don't remember doc saying anything other than the ten pound limit, but maybe he did and I missed it. Or maybe it's just me. Anyway, I have step stools everywhere around the house prompting the revelation that I have A LOT of step stools!

I am interested in a Tummy Tuck. Can you explain to me this drain situation? Does that hurt when they remove it? Also, how much skin do they remove? Any info you can share to enlighten me would be most appreciative.

I wrote a wonderful post, then deleted it trying to make one small change! Here we go again. How much was removed. I don't know because I keep forgetting to ask. My stomach is flat! I don't have any skin to wash under, or dry under, or get a rash under! That is what really matters to me. The drains are not pleasant, but then, it is major surgery! There are things that are not pleasant! I had two drains, one in each hip bone area. They are like a bulb on the end of a tube exiting your skin that you squeeze before putting the cap onto in order to maintain a draining pressures. Two or three, or however many times you need to, each day, you pop the top and squeeze the liquid contents into a little plastic beaker to record the amount of Fluid draining. No big deal. Really. They are a pain showering, but that is where hanging them from a lanyard around your neck comes in. Removing them sounds a heck of a lot worse than it is. The dr cuts a stitch and pulls it out. I would compair any discomfort to having a fill, if you had lap band. I am still only 4 weeks out, but so glad I did it! Remember, when people like me come here to post it is to get info that maybe docs don't share, or are weird questions, or you just plain want support from people who've gone through it. Again, I'm so happy with my decision!

Thanks for answering so quickly. How much weight had you lost before doing this procedure. I had the sleeve, i was never banded so im not too sure what you speak of in terms of the drain but i have an idea - how long were they in for? I have belly that hangs over and it drives me batty when i try to fit into clothes and really thinking this may help me.

First, drains are not associated with banding. I had lost 100 pound, but had a persistent and documented rash. Running has always been my exercise of choice. I don't know it that mattered.

First drain came out about a week post surgery, it had never produced much. Second came out two and a half weeks after surgery.

Biggest issue, by far, are the restrictions! No lifting over 10 pounds for 6 weeks! No exceptions. Think holiday turkey, garbage, laundry, grocery shopping. No pushing heavy carts. Or anything. That has been the worst! Things happen on everyone else's schedule. Or standing in the isle waiting for someone to put dog food in your cart!! Never mind unload the car for you! Much worse than drains!

Farmgirl are you still having pain in your drain hole (damn that sounds creepy....lol)?

My only continued pain is right on my main drain hole...level though that drain has been gone for over 3 months. It still hurts at times. My drains were in my groin, I don't recall of you said you had them in your sides or the groin. But still every so often, for no apparent reason, it will feel like I got stabbed there with a knife. It's not comfortable. Doc said it's just the nerves growing back after massive surgery.....much the same way other areas are still numb.

Yup, getting better but still annoying. I'm thinking that the pressure from the compression garment on the scabs isn't helping the issue. I'm seriously trying not to reach up at all and that seems to be helping those pesky drain hole heal better.

I had a Tummy Tuck on November 13th and I just had the drains removed today!!! The one on the left could have been removed sooner but my surgeon didn't want to remove it then have a pocket of Fluid build up. I was supposed to see him before Christmas but he wanted the drainage to be under 30 per day and being it was still over 100 I spoke to him and we decided to save myself a trip into the city.

Removing the drain even after 7 weeks.... Didn't feel a thing at all!!!! I was worried it would hurt and I was thankful it didn't!!

This procedure really knocked me on my ass!! I normally bounce back and feel good quickly. This was not the case!! I can't really say I was in Pain.... Just general discomfort. My muscles felt like someone stabbed me with a hot knife a few times until I stopped trying to move so much!! I guess feeling dizzy and exhausted kept me from doing damage.

I had a Tummy Tuck on November 13th and I just had the drains removed today!!! The one on the left could have been removed sooner but my surgeon didn't want to remove it then have a pocket of Fluid build up. I was supposed to see him before Christmas but he wanted the drainage to be under 30 per day and being it was still over 100 I spoke to him and we decided to save myself a trip into the city. Removing the drain even after 7 weeks.... Didn't feel a thing at all!!!! I was worried it would hurt and I was thankful it didn't!! This procedure really knocked me on my ass!! I normally bounce back and feel good quickly. This was not the case!! I can't really say I was in Pain.... Just general discomfort. My muscles felt like someone stabbed me with a hot knife a few times until I stopped trying to move so much!! I guess feeling dizzy and exhausted kept me from doing damage.

How long were you out of work? Im thinking of having this done, but I am a teacher. Not sure if im better off having this done in the summer. My concern is that i cant stand tight things around my belly and also because those tight garments you have to wear make me super, super hot! What are your thoughts on that?