Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No nausea for me. The patch is da bomb!

I was hoping I didn't have nausea or gas after lol. I did get the patch behind my ear like 10min before surgery and had no nausea into like 6hrs after surgery from a scale of 1-10 it was like a 5 keep a pillow on your belly that helps. I would gag every time the nausea would kick in and the pillow helped with comfort and they gave me some nausea pills while I was there, that helped a lot. By the 3rd day when I came home I had no nausea. I was given prescription/pills for nausea and I have not had to take them (10days post op) which is good because I read they cause headaches. Good luck if you do have nausea I hope it's gone by the time you go home.

I do have lots of gas. It is not painful but it is loud in the belly and coming out of the backside.The releasing of gas has been loud and voluminous. I look forward to that decreasing.

I was hoping I didn't have nausea or gas after lol. I did get the patch behind my ear like 10min before surgery and had no nausea into like 6hrs after surgery from a scale of 1-10 it was like a 5 keep a pillow on your belly that helps. I would gag every time the nausea would kick in and the pillow helped with comfort and they gave me some nausea pills while I was there, that helped a lot. By the 3rd day when I came home I had no nausea. I was given prescription/pills for nausea and I have not had to take them (10days post op) which is good because I read they cause headaches. Good luck if you do have nausea I hope it's gone by the time you go home.

I am the odd one out here. I am almost six weeks post op and still nedd the zofran daily. Usually when I wake up is the worst. I also still need the medicine for stomach spasms sometimes the levsin or bentyl they both work well. Guess my stomach is really sensitive compared to others.

You will get better soon. I don't want to discourage anyone but I struggled for about 12 weeks with a slow healing stomach. I had nausea on and off for about 6 weeks. I was on soft foods for about 3 months and still have occaisional set backs. What I have learned is that everyone's recovery is different. I have what is known as a "slow healing stomach." I have learned to look at this as a blessing in disguise - it keeps me eating small, frequent and healthy meals. I really had some regrets around the 10 week mark and couldn't see the progress I had made, only how much I was struggling and our behavioral psychologist helped me with this. My dieticians are always there for me. I need extra support with my diet. And one other thing that I found really helps, if my stomach starts acting up, it almost always clears up after 30 minutes of some type of exercise.

Don't let my story scare you - it is still all worth it and many people have very little problems with nausea and a sensitive sleeve.

I think it really varies from person to person! I had terrible nausea immediately following surgery. I wasn't surprised because many medications (especially narcotic pain meds), airplane travel, sea travel, etc. make me very nauseous easily. I stopped pain meds the day after surgery for this reason (did not take anything else for pain), drank lots of fluids and the nausea was gone in less than a day! The only time I experience nausea now (I'm nearly 3 weeks post-op), is when I overeat or eat too fast which is EASILY avoidable. :blush:

I'm Pre-op too and have a history of severe nausea post-op, from narcotics and also get sea-sick, car-sick, air-sick. My last two surgeries (Gyn stuff and then my Gall-bladder) they gave me Decadron which is a steroid. IT IS A MIRACLE drug for nausea. I am not sure if they will let me have it this time though because I know they don't like you to have steroids (for healing purposes). I usually stop narcotics ASAP and go to Extra Strength Tylenol - but do they make that in liquid for post op??? I have also needed Zofran for a few days after. Im worried but it's good to know that several had little problem with it. I can't imagine vomiting after surgery on your stomach. I've had the patch, reglan, pepcid pre-op too but the only thing that really works in Decadron (and it doesn't make you sleepy which means you can recover quicker). Fingers crossed I will get a CRNA who agrees to it!

I had horrible nausea for about 2 days post VSG. So bad I couldn't think of moving or even lifting my head off the pillow. None of the meds helped. By day three I was fine. Now the only time I experience nausea is if I have eaten something too rich or perhaps eaten too quickly. Otherwise I feel the best I have ever felt in my life! I would do it all over again, nausea and all!

I am 8 days post op. I have the patch, too....so, no nausea for me.

I'm 2.5 weeks post-op. No nausea directly after surgery (although I was getting shots every few hours to avoid it!) Started mushy foods 5 days ago and have hardly eaten/drank since. Today was a turning point I've got down almost a litre of Fluid + 1/2 a weetbix! My first successful mush! I've been told its common during transition phase but will definitely be glad to get into solids!

Sorry too hear that I'm 16 months post op and I wake up every morning to nausea !! It's horrible and the docs have said might be due to low bowl movement ... But not in my case but my surgeon prescribed me zofran and that helps ... Good luck !

Edited by jary

I had nausea for the first 3 days after surgery

As you can see from reading here, it is very individualized. Mine was severe right after surgery, the meds helped. Had low grade nausea esp. the first week post-op. Occassionally still get it, now 3 weeks post-op. Have never actually thrown-up.

Bottom line is whatever the level of nausea is or isn't - small price to pay for the benefit of getting sleeved. Just my opinion. :)

This patch you are all referring to....is it the seasick patch that my dr always prescribes when I go on a cruise? I get horribly sick after surgery. This really helps???

I have to say that going into my surgery, nausea was the thing I feared most. I absolutely HATE to throw up! That said, I had zero nausea from my surgery and didn't take the medications that the doctor prescribed for post-op. One thing my doctor did do, however, was prescribe Emend to be taken the morning of the procedure. I can't say that it resulted in my good fortune, but if it did, it was well worth the money. As I recall, it cost about $80 and wasn't covered by insurance. I think it's something they mainly give chemo patients. Good luck!

This patch you are all referring to....is it the seasick patch that my dr always prescribes when I go on a cruise? I get horribly sick after surgery. This really helps???

Yes. Scolpolomine patch. I've had it twice and it hasn't worked. But some people get relief from it.

I had the scopolamine patch. Some nausea post op. They gave me phenergan. I was doing well until scheduled raglan was pushed IV. I started retching instantly. Zofran given and it went away immediately. Since I received two medications at the same I had before retcing, theyseparated giving levsin and reglan. It was the repeat episode of reglan. Once that was gone, no nausea at all. sent home with Zofran but has been unneeded.