Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

bad shoulder pain, down side of left rib and under left rib cage...

hey.

i do have a contained leak. but i'm not sure if this is at all related. sometimes when i sleep i end up on my left side and wake up with the most horrific shoulder and upper abdominal/back/side pain. i still have some morphine from the hospital and while it seems to lessen the pain i can still feel a sharp pain under my left rib, right close to my sternum.

like i said i'm not sure this is from the leak. if i were leaking into my body then i could imagine the pain would be harsh, but since the leak is contained it shouldn't really be painful i'd think. because it's not irritating other organs.

i had this happen a couple of times before surgery woke up like someone stabbed me in my side. i went to the ER and they could not find anything wrong.

could this all be muscular/diaphragm pain? when i burp it hurts my shoulder and that spot right under my rib.

anyone have this strange occurance?

I'd call your doctor. While I don't have experience with a leak, I would personally direct questions like these to a medical professional and not (an amazing group of people) this board.

Good luck.

Maybe the leak is not contained. Have it checked again.

It's best to call your doctor to be safe.

It's very common from what others have experience and sounds like gas.

I had my WLS on 11/14. I didn't feel much pain while in the hospital, but Ong 2nd night home, I was already all Meds, took warm shower and boom, that's when I felt my first experience of pain, it hurt so bad, right below my rib cage, I thought I might of hurt an incision inside my stomach because pain was do severe I doubted it could be gas. It hurt to drink, inhale or cough.

I ended up taking my first tsp of Tylenol w:codiene but didn't help much.

As I woke up at 5am, it dawned on me I hadn't passed gas since I left the hospital or had a BM I'm 2 days.

I called the doctor first thing and nurse told me to drink milk of magnesium, took about 3 hours and it kicked in, the pain subsided slowly but surely but the gas had left my tummy sore.

My son suggested I drink a warm cup of peppermint tea ( he's a master ) and within 5 minutes I let out more gas and my nauseated feeling went away. Peppermint is by far the best pain reliever to hand around.

Another WLS friend experienced lots of shoulder pain and went to see doctor and turned out to be pneumonia. It's really important to do the inhaler lung exercises as well.

Hope you feel better. Best wishes.

thanks. i think it's shoulder pain from sleeping funky on my couch as i have to prop pillows up when i have my tubefeed on at night. i went to my mom's tonight for a few hours and sitting upright on her comfy couch got rid of all the pain. came home and laid on the couch and voila! pain is back.

i will see my doctor though just to find out, maybe i have shoulder issues, i don't suppose ignoring my other body parts during this leak fiasco is a smart thing to do lol.

Maybe the leak is not contained. Have it checked again.

i hope not. i've been bypassing my stomach thru an NJ tube straight down in to my intestines for almost 2 weeks. that wouldn't be very good.

i was hospitalized for three weeks and on a lot of morphine, i'm out of the prescription they sent me home with. i'm thinking this is kinda what the pain would have been without painkillers. yanno? but i will get an xray to make sure my tube is still sitting in the jejunum and it's not irritating anything. dont get the leak tests to see if it's healed till later in january unfortunately. unless i go to the hospital and make a scene, which i'm good at when i hurt.