Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April 2006 Bandiversary!!

Calling all April Bandits of 2006: Let's come together and share our successes!

What is your "Bandiversary" goal?

What have you learned this past year?

Could you share your most rewarding NSV (non-scale victory)?

What is your biggest challenge?

What tips would you pass on to the April 2007 newbies?

What is your greatest fear?

What goals do you have for the future?

How has your life changed?

Has living with the band met up to your expectations?

If you could talk to yourself a year ago, what would you say?

Thank you, my friends for all of your posts and for your successes. I have paid particular attention to our April '06 group. I feel a kinship with you. Good luck and happy bandiversary!!!

:happybday2:

Great idea, BOO!

To get into Onderland! 21 pounds to go til Onderland...wish me luck!

Food should remain a source of fuel, not a source of entertainment.

Shopping for clothes in the regular section...I have NEVER done this, honestly. Even as a kid I had to wear "Pretty Plus" size from Sears!

Social eating-DEFINATELY! I still haven't mastered this yet. I still get carried away when I'm at parties/social functions.

Eat, just eat good, healthy foods.

Never affording the plastic surgery I need to get rid of this excess skin.

To hit my goal weight, of course!

In every possible way. Mainly, I've learned to take care of myself and set priorities to make my health a no-compromise concept!

Yes and no. I'm proud of my success but this idea of "restriction" still hasn't set in and I have never experienced it for any extended period of time.

I'd say "You're doing the right thing...stick with the band and not the bypass." And, I'd throw in..."You need to excerise even more because it'll pay off!"

HAPPY BANDIVERSARY CLASS OF '06!!

Lapbandit, WOW!!! You have accomplished so much this year!

I am also learning to take care of myself.

Great advice given!

Originally it was to lose 100lbs in my first year, but that isn't gonna happen. Now my goal is to get as close to that as I can!

I have learned that without the support of fellow bandsters this is a difficult road. Lifting up and encouraging others is what makes us all stronger together.

Most rewarding is that my back and knees are in so much less pain, in fact most days I don't even notice them anymore. When I started I couldn't push a vacuum without crumbling to the floor in tears from pain.

My biggest challenge has been to try to learn to deal with life's ups and downs without turning to food. I never could have known how hard that would be.

1 - Stick together and take care of each other.

2 - Get fills when you need them and when in doubt ask your fill professional their opinion on whether or not you need one!

3 - Participate in a support group with other banded people like this one!

That I won't know who I am without my padding :eek:

To live, to run, to laugh

I am healthier, I can now see me reaching my goal. I always could picture myself thin but not how I got there, now I can see the way to get there.

Yes and no. I really thought that because I started at a higher BMI that I would lose faster in the beginning. On the other hand, I am totally moving steadily towards my goal weight now that I have good restriction and the band is now helping me, finally.

Don't feel like other peoples numbers affect you personally. You are an individual and your adjustments are individual to you! You are not like anyboy else, no one is. Some people lose 10lbs in there first year and others lose 150lbs, the good news is that it's ok to be an individual, we all are losing (barring any medical conditions that prevent it) and that is what matters. We can all reach our goal if we are willing to put forth the effort to work with our band and not around it.

I agree! It is not a race to lose. And each of us is an individual with unique weight-loss issues. After surgery I wrote in my journal to appreciate whatever loss I had at one year because I will have not gained!

I would love to be at my goal weight of 135. It is looming so close.

That I can succeed at weight loss...all I needed was some help.

There are so many. I have found the self confidence that I thought I lost, no more cholesterol medication, the restless leg syndrome is gone, bye bye sleep apnea, hugs from my son because he can get his arms around me, shopping in normal sized stores, enjoying shopping because I can find things that fit, mowing the yard without getting winded in the first five minutes.....the list goes on and on and on.

Trying to keep eating the "bandster" way.

Make good food choices, but don't deprive yourself of a small treat once in while (this is for your sanity). Drink lots of Water (dehydration is a bad thing.....kidney stones are not your friend). Don't be afraid to ask questions. The best people to get banded information from is from another bandster.

Slipping up, eating too much, and falling into the same bad habits that got me to where I was in the first place.

My biggest short term goal is to participate in the Danskin triathlon in Seattle in August of this year.

I am definately more active and outgoing.

I didn't really have major expectations to begin with. I read so much about only losing a portion of the weight will be lost. But I truly believe the weight you lose will depend on you. I am so happy I did this and I would do it again in a second.

To not be so afraid about doing something for myself. Be a hero to yourself as this will be a life changing experience.

Wow! Irish Girl, you are amazing and an inspiration. I have been stuck at the same weight for over two months. It is time for me to get tough. I can't imagine getting to 135, but I need to start seeing it! That is where I want to be. Good luck on the Triathalon.

Irish Girl, what size is your band? Mine is unfilled at the present time, but was filled to 1.4 cc.

This is a cool idea for a thread. Thank you, Boo!

To be recovered from my Tummy Tuck and breast lift (March 28th) enough to schedule my flight home (to actually be home is a stretch).

I've learned that it's better to head off a binge than to fight it. It's like turning a boat. You might not be able to turn on a dime, but if you plan, you can still get the boat turned.

Flying without a seatbelt extender. Walking anywhere in the City just because and not worrying about breaking out in a sweat even in the cold.

Learning how to not act like an adolescent in my new body.

Measure your food, at least some of the time. It keeps you accountable. Also, if you're not losing as quickly as you'd like, consider counting calories at least for a few days. It'll let you see where you can make adjustments to meet your goals.

Regaining the weight. I know it's not likely, but I still fear it.

To figure out what goal weight is and reach it. To run a 10K. To run an average mile in under 10 minutes.

Oh my gosh, what a question! I fit into life again. I don't worry about finding the "right" seat on the bus or whether a folding chair will break under my weight. I can shop anywhere. I care about my appearance. People treat me with more respect, even just walking down the street -- it shouldn't be that way but it is. I got a new job making triple salary. Triple! Men hit on me. I'm excited about tomorrow.

It's far exceeded my expectations. I expected to be about 250 or 275 now. Instead, I'm in the 190s. All I expected from the band was to get back to Twoterville. Actual day-to-day life, the band exceeds my expectations as well. I thought I'd have way more limitations on the types of food I'd be able to eat.

I'd say be kind to yourself. You're a pretty cool person and even though you don't like yourself a lot right now, you've got the potential to love yourself. I'd also say, self, since you've got this ability to talk to yourself a year ago, try to see if you can talk to yourself 5 years ago and get a band then. Don't waste time trying to find another option. You're going to exhaust them all and still wind up 350+ and banded. Save yourself the emotional and physical trauma.

Julie, that is beautiful! I loved reading your thoughts!

Thanks, Tracy! I hope this thread will help the April '06 bandsters to reflect on our journey, and to clarify new goals.

All of you newbies and upcoming bandsters, see what you have to look forward to!!

Buthope our new chicklings in the April 2007 will see this, everything I have read in this thread touched my heart and made me cry, it is a great journey, I would never go back!

XX Amourette

Great thread idea,, I think it needs to be extended to the April crew of 07, great idea though, I am hanging out to answer it, love the answers already, how true they all are, thanx for this, top points!!!!!!!!!

XX Amourette

Thank you!!! Amourette, you are a sweetie!

Yeah, Heather! You have about the same goals as I do, AND you have selected an amazing surgeon. Have you met him yet? My banding was done on April 5th last year. It is one of the best decisions I have ever made.