Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chicharrones/Pork Rinds

Don't eat Pork rinds for the Protein, because on the bag it says "Not a significant source of protein". This is due to the fact that the Protein is completely derived from collagen, the major part of Gelatin.

"Although Gelatin is 98–99% protein by dry weight, the body cannot readily use it. Gelatin is notable for its exceptionally low nutritional value. It is unusually high in the non-essential amino acids glycine and proline, (i.e., those produced by the human body), while lacking certain essential amino acids (i.e., those not produced by the human body). Gelatin is one of the few foods that cause a net loss of protein if eaten exclusively. It contains no tryptophan and is deficient in isoleucine, threonine, and methionine. Several people died of malnutrition in the 1970s while on popular 'liquid protein' diets."

Edited by Tikva

<p>Don't eat Pork rinds for the Protein, because on the bag it says "Not a significant source of protein". This is due to the fact that the Protein is completely derived from collagen, the major part of Gelatin.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>"Although Gelatin is 98–99% protein by dry weight, the body cannot readily use it. Gelatin is notable for its exceptionally low nutritional value. It is unusually high in the non-essential amino acids glycine and proline, (i.e., those produced by the human body), while lacking certain essential amino acids (i.e., those not produced by the human body). Gelatin is one of the few foods that cause a net loss of protein if eaten exclusively. It contains no tryptophan and is deficient in isoleucine, threonine, and methionine. Several people died of malnutrition in the 1970s while on popular 'liquid protein' diets."</p>

Thank You.

I've been chowing on the cottage cheese mousse!

Cottage cheese (low fat)

Lime SF Jello ( small box)

Cool whip (low fat)

YUMMY!!!!!!!!!

Cottage cheese (low fat)

Cool whip (low fat)

YUMMY!!!!!!!!!

Oh my word! I didn't even think about this stuff! I make this "treat" on holidays, but didn't even think about it being a Protein snack! I make mine with cottage cheese, drained crushed pineapple, chopped pecans, a box of pistachio Jello (is there a sugar-free type?) and Cool Whip. SO GOOD!! Must make some pronto!!

One way that I have used Pork rinds post op is as a substitute for bread crumbs in meatloaf or meatballs. I knew that the Protein in pork rinds was mostly collagen (& therefore not absorbed), but when you crush them up they make a great low carb filler or breading for recipes that call for bread crumbs.

<p>One way that I have used Pork rinds post op is as a substitute for bread crumbs in meatloaf or meatballs. I knew that the Protein in pork rinds was mostly collagen (& therefore not absorbed), but when you crush them up they make a great low carb filler or breading for recipes that call for bread crumbs. </p>

That is an excellent idea. Especially now that I have a whole bag and can't use it as a Protein snack. Thinking along those lines, it would probably be good atop baked cauliflower and cheese.

Pork rinds -They're just wrong.

Water Nazi" data-cite="Water Nazi">

<p>Pork Rinds -They're just wrong.</p>

But I think they're tasty. The Protein in them is apparently garbage. But at least they have no carbs and as stated above could probably be useful in some way. Not planning on making them a regular part of my diet, though.

Bariatric Choice has whey Protein barbeque chips, pizza chips, ranch crunch, and sea salt with vinegar. I was pleasantly surprised with the BBQ and pizza ones I bought online at BariatricChoice.com.

I ate all the ones I bought over a period of three months, so when I get to my phase four routine, I will buy some more. They are packed in serving size packets, with 10 grams of Protein in each pack. They were worth the asking price $12.95 for 7 packets.

The other thing you might want to try for salty crunchy cravings are dried, roasted edamame. High source of Protein and Fiber and they are crunchy and filling.

They do have SF pistachio pudding so that works! I've absolutely loved that treat!

Cottage cheese (low fat)

Cool whip (low fat)

YUMMY!!!!!!!!!

Oh my word! I didn't even think about this stuff! I make this "treat" on holidays, but didn't even think about it being a Protein snack! I make mine with cottage cheese, drained crushed pineapple, chopped pecans, a box of pistachio Jello (is there a sugar-free type?) and Cool Whip. SO GOOD!! Must make some pronto!!
Ok this is gonna sound stupid lol but do you make the sf jello 1st and then mix the other ingredients in it or just mix the powder jello packet with the cottage cheese...sorry just never heard if this recipe before. Sounds yummy!!

It's yummy! I actually bought stuff and made it tonight! I just folded everything together (dry jello) and refrigerated.

I like dry roasted and salted soy nuts. Good Protein and they do the salty crunchy thing for me.