Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Staple foods for the soft food stage (phase 3)

Please post with your go-to foods or recipes for the soft food stage, when foods need to be easy to chew to a similar consistency as purée, and should not be too stringy, chewy, or fibrous. Remember you can have foods from the purée or liquid phases while you are on the soft phase.

This thread is part of a series:

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/292196-staple-foods-for-pre-op/

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/292197-staple-foods-for-the-liquid-phase-phase-1/

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/292198-staple-foods-for-puree-phase-2/

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/292199-staple-foods-for-the-soft-food-stage-phase-3/

Edited by mistysj

eggs

cheese

Yogurt

Cottage cheese

Cereal with milk (like Special K or other flakes, soaked in milk)

Porridge with Protein Powder stirred in after it cools a bit

Canned Soup with extra rotisserie chicken added

Beef mince with gravy or Bolognaise or other sauce

Canned chicken mixed with mayo, onion, and gherkin relish (aka chicken salad)

Refried Beans with cheese

Hummus

Canned peas

Baked beans

Custard with Protein powder stirred in

Sashimi

smoked salmon

canned tuna

Edited by mistysj

Here are my contributions to the soft foods stage:

I am posting links to my blog where I have posted them. Full disclosure, I do not make money off this blog, so this is not for self-promotion. I like creating different recipes and sharing so I hope they help someone.

Once you are through your liquids stage, also search for soft foods, or look up the ground chicken and ground beef recipes, and you may find something you like that is sleeve friendly. I've posted links to a few here to get you started.

Here’s the list of foods:

Soft Foods Stage

1. cheese Souffle
  2. pumpkin Cheesecake vanilla pudding
  3. Pumpkin Caramel Bake
  4. banana Egg Protein pancake
  5. Home-made refried Beans
  6. 5-minute Hummus

Do you have others to add to this list?

My plan had Clear Liquids for two days, full liquids for two weeks, then the third stage for four weeks allowed most Protein except beef, and most fruits and veggies if cooked.

I ate moist fish, poultry and pork, and all foods from the full liquids phase.

Lynda

Well I don't know if I am a bit too sensitive to gas but honestly I am in the pureed stages and I can't do eggs at all! I have gotten different flavors of the Protein Drink and have been using them. I can have grits in small amounts, mash potatoes, applesauce, I can do a tsp of ground meat, cottage cheese, laughing cow cheese, every time I venture out and taste something (like eggs yesterday) have excruciating gas pain or I throw up....soooo I warn you to take the pureed food phase VERY SLOW or you will be walking up and down your driveway asking God to take the gas pain away.

It is so strange that everyone is so different. The only thing I have tried other than the full liquids are eggs, I can eat them scrambled or I just eat the egg white of a boiled egg. I don't like the yolk anyway,never have, so the egg whites are just fine.

Well I don't know if I am a bit too sensitive to gas but honestly I am in the pureed stages and I can't do eggs at all! I have gotten different flavors of the Protein drink and have been using them. I can have grits in small amounts, mash potatoes, applesauce, I can do a tsp of ground meat, cottage cheese, laughing cow cheese, every time I venture out and taste something (like eggs yesterday) have excruciating gas pain or I throw up....soooo I warn you to take the pureed food phase VERY SLOW or you will be walking up and down your driveway asking God to take the gas pain away.

I have the problem with eggs, tofu, chicken, tuna, gas pain until a burp it out with vomit gastric fluids. With eggs I have to vomit about 10 times, and after that I can get Water or anything else in. My stomach hurts for hrs. My surgery was 3/16. How long does it take to be able to eat without all of this gas creating?

At what week/day post-op did ya'll start eating this type of food and did you experience any discomfort or pain?

Something I found and absolutely love is On The Go Paleo Hot Cereal Gluten & Grain Free Power Protein. It's a hot cereal with 12g of Protein for a serving. I make it with Silk organic, unsweetened Protein soy milk for even more added protein.

Going to sound yucky, but I do the same thing with baby food cereal...not Gerber though. Gerber is GMO, no thank you!

So I buy non-gmo baby food cereal high in protein and use the soy milk to mix it with.

I am 16 days out and ate 1/2 scrambled egg and 1/4 avocado tonight without trouble.

It took me about an hour and I got full for the first time.

But nothing came back up.

So happy because I LOVE eggs!

I am just on 4 weeks post surgery and have just commenced the soft food stage. I have had no problems with foods to date however as I have to take Iron tablets at present, Hi Bran Weetbix have been a lifesaver to prevent Constipation. I have found scrambled eggs to be great however a lesser amount ass they seem to fill me up sooner than other foods.

eggs, Soups, (chicken noodle, chicken and rice, vegetable Soup but only certain ones that don't have corn) chilli, fish, light deli meat, cheese sticks, sometimes grits or oatmeal, applesauce, soft no sugar added can fruits, soft vegetables but no broccoli or cauliflower yet, the list goes on, there is plenty to eat! However I never get to finish most of the time and have to end up throwing food away or giving it away or it will sit up forever and spoil.

I start soft diet on Monday and can't wait. I'll follow this discussion and drool until then.

BTW...is pureed diet and soft diet the same?