Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Staple foods for the liquid phase (phase 1)

Please post your staple foods, shakes, recipes for the full liquid phase. Remember that all surgeons are different and don't get distracted someone else had different guidelines from you. :)

This thread is part of a series:

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/292196-staple-foods-for-pre-op/

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/292197-staple-foods-for-the-liquid-phase-phase-1/

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/292198-staple-foods-for-puree-phase-2/

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/292199-staple-foods-for-the-soft-food-stage-phase-3/

Edited by mistysj

Protein shakes (I used Optifast)

Protein Soups, but I doctored them with Worcestershire and soy sauces and made them up with milk and stock instead of just Water. Make sure to dissolve the powder in a small amount of cold Water first and don't heat the Soup over 140F to avoid lumpy protein

chicken stock with vinegar and hot sauce (like hot&sour)

fruit juice

Popsicles

coffee (I was allowed)

Tea

Isopure RTD

Homemade crockpot chicken broth

Home made Jello with the cooling Fluid being isopure

Used 2oz jello shot cups (2oz ea) for easy grab n go on the jello

Panera bread Soups - broth only

Gatorade G2 as Water tastes weird to me now

SF popcicles

Edited by bearman99

Here are my contributions to the full liquid stage:

At first I drank my Protein Shakes like a good girl. Then I struggled through them. Then they made me sick. By the time I was post op, I was so sick of them, I’d rather have starved. Three things saved me.

1. If you find yourself getting nauseated with them, chances are quite good that you are lactose intolerant, especially after the surgery. I take lactaid pills with my first sip and it really helps with nausea, diarrhea, gas, gurgling, cramping hell.

2. I found two shakes I liked. Yours will be different but for me it was Chike coffee Protein, Syntrax mint chocolate chip, and I can also tolerate Syntrax Double Stuffed cookie. It helps to make only 4 oz, with 1 scoop of powder, half a cup of liquid, and the rest ice to make a 6 oz cup to slurp on, so keep the quantities small.

3. HIgh Protein Soups. These saved me. You can’t do these unless you are on full liquids, but once you’re on them, and if you are sick of sweet protein shakes, please do try these.

I am posting links to my blog where I have posted them. Full disclosure, I do not make money off this blog, so this is not for self-promotion. I like creating different recipes and sharing so I hope they help someone.

Once you are through your liquids stage, also search for soft foods, or look up the ground chicken and ground beef recipes, and you may find something you like that is sleeve friendly. I've posted links to a few here to get you started.

Here’s the list of foods:

Full Liquids Stage

1. 1. Egg drop Soup ( I haven’t posted a proper recipe because it’s so simple. Boil chicken broth, stir in two beaten eggs when it boils, stir with a pair of chopsticks. Take it off the flame immediately, cover, and let it sit for 5 minutes to let the egg cook. Add salt, pepper, and my fav, some sesame oil for a fresh flavor).
  2. Hot & sour soup
  3. Shrimp “bisque”
  4. Lobster bisque
  5. Tortilla soup
  6. Chicken and mushroom soup
  7. Protein pudding
  8. Chocolate Mousse

In full liquid stage, my plan allowed cream Soups, yogurt, cottage cheese, milk, and all Clear Liquids.

I was lactose intolerant but did well with powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken, Greek yogurt with Splenda, French vanilla Gold Standard whey Protein mixed with soy milk and Anderson Split Pea Soup. For variety, I added Starbucks instant Decaf to my vanilla Protein Drink.

Lynda

ProtiDiet chicken Protein Soup (REALLY GOOD!)

Isopure Zero Carb drinks

Siggi's Fat Free Yogurt

sugar free Popsicles

That was it for a solid week and just about all I could handle

Tomato Soup

Cream of anything soup- run through a blender (just avoid anything that won't puree in a blender, like bacon pieces.)

I am doing Isopure fruity Protein Drinks (love apple melon)

sugar free popsicles

Unjury Protein broth

canned french onion Soup withe onions drained out

homemade chicken broth

veggie broth

sugar free Jello

drinking different crystal lights in my Water

I wish I would have known about Ensure High Protein shakes during my liquid phase. They are very smooth, not gritty or grainy and have no weird aftertaste. 210 calories, 25g Protein, 5g sugar, 2.5g fat, lots of vitamins/minerals/probiotics per 14oz bottle. I prefer the milk chocolate flavor chilled, but it is not necessary to refrigerate them. They are a little pricey at 10.99/4 pack but well worth it. I use one per day as a Meal Replacement even though I am on regular food at 9 weeks post-op.

I think I posted my question to the wrong spot to begin with....Anyway, I am 4 days post op and I am sick of the sweet stuff. I have been told to be on liquids for 3weeks before I go to Phase 2 but this is crazy. Purchased canned Soups are high in sodium and low in Protein. In my after carre papers I can't have black Beans yet, greek yogurt maybe once or twice a week but its the main "dinner" liquids that I'm frustrated with. chicken noodle Soup minus the noodles can only be good for so long. I'm staying away from sugar free products because of the Aspertaime in them and I was as close to clean eating as I could get prior to surgery so I'm having a really hard time coming up with ideas, recipes high in Protein and low in the other stuff....Anyone have any ideas???

Need help understanding the whole Carb / Sugar thing... what's considered High? What amount can usually be tolerated, and what's too much???

It will depend on the guidelines from your dietitian.

I had surgery about a week ago to repair a hiatal hernia, and at the same time my doctor performed an imbercation-basically he folded a bit of each side of my stomach over and sewed the edges down to reduce the sides of my stomach. Apparently it's a relatively new procedure for weight loss that they use for less extreme cases, which is leading to me having some trouble researching it. I'm assuming that my recovery will be similar to that of other weight-loss surgeries, as I had to do do two weeks pre-op resitrictive dieting, 3 days post-op Clear Liquids, and two weeks full liquid before moving on to soft/mushy foods.

I'm having a really difficult time getting my required Protein. I barely want to drink Water or broth, much less a Protein shake. Yesterday was the day I was able to get the most Protein so far since surgery-about 25g-and I woke up today feeling so sick to my stomach that all I've had is about 2 cups of clear broth. My protein goal is 60g, but the doctor said if I can make it to 40, that would be okay.

I'm lactose intolerant (I was pre-surgery as well), vegetarian (though I will eat some fish), and can't have any artificial sweeteners. I was only able to find one Protein powder without any artificial sweeteners in it, and I mix it with almond milk. I think the thickness of the Protein shakes is what is grossing me out right now, but I don't know how else to get my protein in liquid form. No matter what I mix with this powder, it's really thick (even Water. yuck). Help please!

Also, side note (sorry this is so long!), did anyone have issues with a fever post-op? They kept me in the hospital 3 nights instead of 1 because I had a slight fever and low oxygen. Since coming home, I've consistantly had a low fever (99.3ish), usually in the evenings. The doctor said not to worry about a fever unless it was 101 or above. Is this common?