Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pasta and Rice?

I was wondering if any of you vets eat Pasta and/or rice and how far along in the healing process it took you to begin eating it again. I completely understand that I won't be successful without consuming Protein first, then greens, and carbs last. However, I'm hoping to be able to enjoy pasta/rice again on a very limited basis.

I also understand that I perhaps won't be able to tolerate pasta/rice at all after surgery. Just wanted to get some opinions.

Pasta, rice and bread were weaknesses for me so I dont partake at all now. I CAN tolerate them, I just CHOOSE to make better decisions on what to put in my tiny tummy. Im so concerned with getting in all my Protein that I usually never have enough room to put any Pasta, rice or bread in my tummy. If I do end up with a little room left I will typically eat a veggie instead of a carb.

i cant tolerate Pasta anymore. i do eat a little bit of rice with fish every now and again. i didnt start eating it until about 5 mos out. my surgeon is okay with rice in moderation.

i ate some rice pudding yesterday (90cal, 5g) and felt fine but have opted to not have anymore because it has carbs and i am in my losing phase right now.

i've been looking for substitutes because i love Pasta and rice and i don't know if i can help myself with them.

if u google ''cauliflower rice'' you'll find a recipe. i haven't tried it yet b/c i am still on full liquids but it looks good and some of the comments i read under the recipe said that when u cook it w/other stuff like gen tso chicken or beef and salsa it gives u the same feel and taste of rice.

as for Pasta. i found a recipe for zucchini fettucine w/a creamy squash sauce that looks good. nice and cheesy. same for zucchini lasagna

Pasta and rice are poor food choices when you can only each about 4 ounces of food and be full. Your much better off eating 2 to 3 ounces of Protein and topping the rest of the meal off with a nice vegetable.

I don't do rice, Pasta or bread. With the exception of my eating 3 inches of a roasted chicken sub at subway once a week for a treat.

I'm one year out. I eat sushi w/brown rice and I love quinoa salad (made w/quonoa, red & brown rice, sliced almonds, and dried cranberries). I don't eat either very often. Mainly I concentrate on getting Protein, Water and Vitamins.< /p>

I will be the devil's advocate and say that some carbs should be eaten. Yes, we need to focus on mostly Protein, however our bodies NEED carbs for organ function, brain function, normal metobolic cycle and more. obviously the GOOD quality carbs are the best option, whole grain, with high Fiber. I use Barilla Plus and Dreamfields.

my surgeon and nut have built a long standing program (and highly successful) and actually have soft Pasta included, starting at the softs phase. the other night my family had spaghetti. i had 1/3 cup meat sauce with about 5-6 spaghetti strands broken into small pieces in it. I felt awesome because i was eating the same thing they were and there was no deprivation whatsoever.

I see my WLS as a tool to help me gain control of portions and my eating. if i had wanted to just eat Protein only for the rest of my life I would have done Atkins and skipped the anesthesia. and the bill!

I was wondering if any of you vets eat Pasta and/or rice and how far along in the healing process it took you to begin eating it again. I completely understand that I won't be successful without consuming Protein first, then greens, and carbs last. However, I'm hoping to be able to enjoy pasta/rice again on a very limited basis.

I also understand that I perhaps won't be able to tolerate pasta/rice at all after surgery. Just wanted to get some opinions.

Ihave found shritaki (tofu) noodles to be good subs for pastas and I ,

Make fake rice using cauliflower (go google for other subs)

747 heavy

Everyone is different, because no two bands are exactly alike in terms of adjustments and how ones body reacts to those adjustments.....

For me, the first thing to go was rice...thought I would have some sushi....No mas!

Then it was bread, and eventually all things made from flour...rolls, cakes, Pasta, etc...that also took care of pizza once and for all...I cannot tolerate big globs of meted cheese....things that are deep fried and crunchy....and eventually red meat, which I gave up.....chicken is hit and miss, it has to be very tender and most places when eating out overcook it or it is just old....

However...it does not bother me..as a matter of fact I find it a blessing...looking at the things that I do not eat, almost none of it is very nutritional....or not good for you in general.

My Dr.'s have been trying to get me to stop eating red meat, or at least cut it back to once a week...same with all those Desserts....

So the band has FORCED me to become more food conscious, seeking out the best foods out there..natural, organic....I have become a real "Health Nut"

And it's all because of the Band...I would, and could not, do this on my own....but I do not have a single regret...quite the opposite.

Edited by B-52

I had my RNY surgery almost 4 months ago. I have tried like a few bites of rice and I didn't like it. I have had a few pieces of bread with my Soup and felt it was too heavy for me. I have had like a few super thin slices of pizza and it was hard to get it down. And I had a few bites of spiral Pasta and it didn't sit well. So I have pretty much given up on trying bread pasta and rice and honestly I don't even care for it nor do I miss it. As far as sweets go, I have like maybe a small scoop of ice cream which is rare or have a bite of cake from my friend at a baby shower I went to and it just didn't feel right. So I stay away from it and I don't even miss it. I think we get used to not having this stuff in our system and we don't even want it anymore. Hope this helps!

I can tolerate it, somewhat. But in 9 months the only thing that made me feel like I was going to throw it up was a couple of bites of risotto (rice). Mostly it's not worth it, and I don't even really crave it. I do like rice in sushi rolls, in small amounts.

I'm Thai, and rice is like bread for Thai cuisine but I think I overate rice per meal made me gain weight so fast. So during the pre-op I ate rice very little only for Breakfast or lunch but not for dinner and it worked so well.

Now I'm 5 weeks out on soft food and I started to have congee with soft fish and veggie (2 tbs of Congee) for Breakfast and it works well. I found I have to change food types after 1 or 2 days stall and eating food with Asian seasoning is heaven! I added some ginger, sesame oil, soja sauce for the flavour but carefully enough for sodium intakes.

I ate Pasta once and I had bad bad bad reflux laster so, no Pasta for me, I think for a long long time!