Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im a cheater...am i screwed?

My surgery is scheduled on dec 31st..Happy New Year to me.originally I was going to be a self pay in Mexico but my job finally gave me health insurance(I work at a restaurant that's nota chain so it's fairly common to not be covered)I jumped through all the health insurance hoops and actually got approved fairly quickly.i started my pre op 2 week liquid diet over a week ago and have struggled greatly with it..I have cheated 3 times so far.strangely I have still lost 12 pounds so far.my question is..am I screwed?will I get to the hospital and they will some how know I cheated and won't perform the surgery???i need this surgery..I need to get healthier and want a long life.this was the first holidays in 26 years I wasn't with family.it was very lonely.its no excuse for eating though.its amazing the battle you have with your mind...

I think you will be fine. I actually thought the same. They didn't weigh me before surgery

The most important thing is to REALLY NOT CHEAT the three days before surgery. Some people have plans where they can eat healthy meals up until three days before surgery, but there are almost no plans that say it's ok to have solids those three days before surgery. If you need to cheat, do it with a little Protein or yogurt. But, make sure those three days are totally cheat-free. You would hate yourself if you got a complication and it could have been prevented by having just a little more will-power.

My surgery is scheduled on dec 31st..Happy New Year to me.originally I was going to be a self pay in Mexico but my job finally gave me health insurance(I work at a restaurant that's nota chain so it's fairly common to not be covered)I jumped through all the health insurance hoops and actually got approved fairly quickly.i started my pre op 2 week liquid diet over a week ago and have struggled greatly with it..I have cheated 3 times so far.strangely I have still lost 12 pounds so far.my question is..am I screwed?will I get to the hospital and they will some how know I cheated and won't perform the surgery???i need this surgery..I need to get healthier and want a long life.this was the first holidays in 26 years I wasn't with family.it was very lonely.its no excuse for eating though.its amazing the battle you have with your mind...

The day before is really important. .Liquids only. ... but i had a great meal 2 days before surgery and they said nothing and I told the truth. I splurged/cheated whatever you want to call it! Don't beat yourself up. . Look at the weigh you've lost. You've done awesome. .. Just remember the day before no cheating :)

my doctor doesnt have me on a liquid diet at all, i asked about it and they told me i can eat whatever i want the day before surgery, and just dont go too crazy and then do not eat or drink after midnight. i am scheduled dec. 31st also. i think i am going to start a liquid diet tomorrow anyhow just to feel better after over indulging on christmas

So here's the deal, and you may not want to hear it. After surgery it is HARD. You feel sick, you feel nauseous, you want to eat then you think you hate food. The sleeve is a tool, not a cure. The real battle is in our heads and it is very easy to screw it up by eating the wrong foods. Many many people lose at first then stop losing, then gain it back plus more. Why? Because they cheated. They ate slider foods (if you don't know what that is search it on this forum), they drank with meals, they didn't get their Protein in and grazed on carbs, they drank caloric drinks, kept their Starbucks habits, and basically did not keep to their program. Some of the worst cases seriously damaged their sleeves. They overate consistently and stretched them. They had leaks. They ate foods too early and caused complications, they didn't get their fluids in and ended up in the ER due to dehydration. So if you can't stick to the presurgery diet, you should seriously consider if you are ready for this surgery, because it is a lot worse afterwards. It's not a game, and when you cheat, the only one you hurt is yourself. Rethink it, dear, and good luck to you.

I am scheduled for surgery on December 31st also. I am sticking to the diet as best as I can. Have I had solid food since starting the pre-op diet? The answer is yes. I had a small piece of fish the other day and today being Christmas I had an ounce of chicken breast and about a tablespoon of mashed potatoes. Yes, it wasn't on my diet, but I don't think I was sabotaging myself or my upcoming surgery. I think it's in our heads that we better eat this stuff while we can. After surgery we won't feel like eating anything for a good while. I have to say watching people eat all of my favorite foods while I sip a Protein shake sucks big time, but always being the biggest person in the room and watching life pass me by while I sit on the sidelines is even worse. We can do this!!

If you can't make it through the preop diet, how will you do it postop? I hope you sit and really think and make sure you are ready for this surgery. Best of luck to you.

I think you'll be fine just do the best you can and after you get your sleeve walk walk and walk get the blood flowing and that gets oxygen to your muscles and stomach so it can heal faster. and walking helps with breathing and not getting blood clots.

Really try not to stress about it. Do you best, but don't beat yourself up over it. I would recommend being as diligent as you can as the date comes closer. Best of luck. The hunger goes away for the most part after surgery!

I think you really need to understand, that the liquid diet is so that you can shrink your liver, bcuz they have to work around it, and the smaller it is the more helpful it will b to your Dr.i know some Dr's will not do the surgery if your liver is not smaller they will close you right back up? Just something to think about?

Thank you all for weighing in...I wouldn't know what I would do if I got there and they told me they won't do the procedure or worse yet they opened me up and closed me up without performing the procedure.i have already told all my friends and family I am doing this.i think I would have to move to a different city if this fell through over something crazy like French fries!i have 4 days left.i will get through them the best I can.i have spent a whole year reading and watching videos about this surgery.thsi isn't something I am taking lightly.i understand all the good ,bad and ugly.i appreciate all of your complete honesty.its annoying but needed lol...Happy New Year everyone.

To your answer your direct question....yes. But it has nothing to do with getting the surgery or not.

No matter how much this community consoles you, YOU are responsible. If you want to succeed follow the rules. If you want to subject yourself to doubts and have a higher probability of failing.....don't follow the rules.

Either way, make your choice, live with it, own your results.

I think you really need to understand, that the liquid diet is so that you can shrink your liver, bcuz they have to work around it, and the smaller it is the more helpful it will b to your Dr.i know some Dr's will not do the surgery if your liver is not smaller they will close you right back up? Just something to think about?

I was told that they will just go in and absolutely close you up without doing the Surgery if they caint work around your liver because it's Fatty.

Even or the fact that I had to sign a surgical consent given them permission to do an Open Sleeve surgery ( cut you from top to bottom of your abdomen ) if they caint get to your stomach due to a fatty liver. Keeping it Real Wow That convinced me to follow the pre op diet I didn't want the large scar. Or cancel months of hard work. I was shock to see open surgery on the consent!!!

Edited by Ballermom