Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looks like I will be doing an endoscopy and colonoscopy before surgery. Scheduled for psych eval. Also need a consult re: changing med prescriptions for absorption change. Otherwise, pretty much the same as the first time in 2012. Don't think the sleep apnea clearance will be necessary this time. Has anyone else had to jump through any additional hoops?

For the sleeve I had to do the psych eval, a pulmonary consult, and medical clearance. I was self-pay for the DS and only needed blood work pre-op.

Had pages of nutritional baseline blood work already. Been a little wheezy with the cold weather up and down, but no mention yet of pulmonary clearance...

I'm self pay - getting blood labs, chest x-Ray, and echo with bubbles done Jan 2nd. Psych eval Jan 6 (in 2 parts, thanks to my insurance!) for a total of three hours!! Then I hope I'm ready to get scheduled! Everyone else I've read about it seemed had a half hour psych eval....so I'm feeling a bit "special."

Hi Tater,

I am familiar with an echocardiogram but what is "with bubbles"? And, of course you're special. :-)

Echo with bubbles - they will have me on an iv with saline....they shake the saline so there are bubbles in it and watch them via the ultrasound. The bubbles should be processed by my lungs and show up only on the right side of the heart.

I have a murmur (thanks Grandmother for that!), so I guess it's to make sure my valves aren't allowing any crossover to the left side. Hopefully just a little backwash!

There are 4 valves in the heart; mitral, atrial, pulmonic, and tricuspid. I spoke with a cardiologist and the bubble echo is used to detect abnormalities in the heart; specifically a defect in the atrial septum (upper part of the heart) or the ventricular septum (lower part). He stated the test is obsolete in my area of the U.S. If an atrial or ventricular septal defect is suspected, a heart MRI or a transesophageal echocardiogram is done. I hope that helps! :-)

Thanks for the info! I'll give my surgeon a call to verify that I need this then. (My pcp ordered it, anticipating Dr. K would want it)

I have to get the psych clearance too and go see a cardiovascular - heart doctor to make sure everything is working fine. I've also had blood work done already, but I'm sure he will want more. My surgery date is in May of this year. :)

I have had blood work, upper gi , sleep study and psych done. All I have now is heart dr.

Edited by hopee333

I have had blood work, upper gi , sleep study and psych done. All I have now is heart dr.

I still need the upper gi and sleep study too. I forgot about those two. :P

Hello,

Yes, I had to have a colonoscopy/endoscopy, 6 monthly visits with my PCP for weight check, and EKG, CXR and labs. ( Also had to see surgeon, psych, dietician) I have a arrhythmia so now I have to see a cardiologist next week. I'm hoping it is fine and my surgery date can FINALLY be scheduled!!! :)